4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2012 2:44 PM by Jim_Simon

PPPro CS creating duplicate clip names in Bin and Timeline

FrameInMotion

Hi there, using CS6 on two different (well same model) with the latest Adobe updates on each. The computers are late 2011 15 inch Macbook Pro with Lion 10.7.5 (one with 16GB RAM and one with 8GB RAM, .,4GHZ i7, Radeon 6750M 1GB).

On two separate projects (once on each computer) in the last few days we have come across the following error (we are using AVCHD from a Sony NEX-VG20). On the first project he client was scrubbing through the timeline quickly and after stopping went to look at 00007.mts in the project window. Unfortunately there was now three instances of 00005.MTS and no 00006.MTS or 00007.MTS. Also the three clips all now had the same duration and the same content if you played them in the source window or dropped them on the timeline. In order to fix this I had to go to the original location on the external drive and rename the three affected clips and let Premiere Pro re-link the three files. This fix worked but my clients were frustrated that this kind of thing could happen without their input.

The other time was a different project project on the other laptop (files on the internal drive). The AVCHD clips being used were from a different day of shooting. We were creating some bins and moving some clips around to better organize the project when all of a sudden we noticed we had 6 copies of 00005.MTS and 6 copies of 00008.MTS. We also noticed that all the clips on the timeline were labelled as 00005.MTS or 00008.MTS even though we had used several different MTS files. We went back to a auto-save from the previous day (when this error had not yet arisen yet) and low and behold the error was still there. The difference though with this error is that all the duplicate 00005.MTS and 00008.MTS clips this time retained their proper video content but the duration listed was still the same on all the clips. I was also unable to move these "Duplicate" clips to a new bin.

I haven't had the time (or inclination) to rename all the clips on the second project to see if re-linking will fix the problem for this occurrence and I am little frustrated at this time.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: PPPro CS creating duplicate clip names in Bin and Timeline
          Jim_Simon Level 8

This sounds like you're dealing with spanned clips.

For longer recordings, the camera will create multiple files on the card.  When you use that media with PP, it understands that those multiple files are actually from one long take, and it stitches them together and shows you the one clip.  It also skips over those files when viewing them via the Media Browser.  So if files 0005, 0006 and 0007 are all from one take, PP will show you file 0005, then skip to file 0008 in the Media Browser.

It sounds to me like your client is not aware of this, and is not using the Media Browser to do his importing.

• 2. Re: PPPro CS creating duplicate clip names in Bin and Timeline
            FrameInMotion Level 1

Thanks for the reply Jim, from what I remember they were not very long clips at all (not long enough to come up against the 4GB limit anyway). Plus even if they are spanned why would premiere import them as separate clips and let you work with them as separate clips for a couple of weeks before deciding to eliminate the extra file names?

The next time I am with them I will look at the project and see if they are spanned files.

thanks

• 3. Re: PPPro CS creating duplicate clip names in Bin and Timeline
              FrameInMotion Level 1

So I looked at the project Jim, there are spanned clips in the project but the spanned clips are not the ones that became duplicates. 00005.MTS and 00008.MTS are relatively short clips but they are the ones that are showing as duplicates. There is a spanned clip at 25-26 and if I use the standard import it shows up as 25 twice, and if I use the media browser it shows up correctly as 25 and skips 26.

I still don't understand why 00005.MTS and 00008.MTS became duplicate file names (without the content being duplicated). It makes sense that spanned clips will show the same content on all of the clips containing the spanned content but I don't understand why the non-spanned clips would behave this way.

Also what workflow would you reccomend to import a large number of AVCHD folders into a project. We have been creating a descriptive name for the AVCHD folder and copying the entire contents of the SD card into this folder. We have then been importing this folder into Premiere using File Import. Doing this keeps the folder name we created in out Project Bin, but I guess it might be causing havoc with spanned files.

Besides creating a new BIN using the name we have chosen and then using media browser to select the contents of each individual folder is there a better way to deal with this?

Is prelude a better option for ingesting the footage?

thanks

• 4. Re: PPPro CS creating duplicate clip names in Bin and Timeline
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Besides creating a new BIN using the name we have chosen and then using media browser to select the contents of each individual folder is there a better way to deal with this?

No, that is the best way.