8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2012 11:25 AM by Steve Grisetti

Lightning Effect moves when I save

raizer89

Hello, I can't find this in the forums so I have to ask. I am making a fun little video for my nephews, and I promised them I'd give them lightsabers. I learned to create a lightsaber effect using the lightning effect, and cut down on the branching, etc. etc. Well, it works. While I'm editting the video, I use the lightning to cover their swords and they have pretty neat lightsabers. However, everytime I save the video, 720 25 and 720 30, the effect is always off the mark by about 3 inches. The sword is in the boy's hands, but the lightning is on the same horizontal plane, but vertically it's a few inches off. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I can do? It's frustrating cause I spent a lot of time editting this effect in one frame at a time on two swords. I'd hate to think it was all for naught. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Lightning Effect moves when I save
          Barbara B. Level 7

Since this is about video, you'll get more help in the Premiere Elements forum. Moving this for you.

• 2. Re: Lightning Effect moves when I save
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Which version of the program are you using and what model of camcorder is your video coming from?

This bug is pretty common when working with MPEG video. If that's the case, there is a solution.

• 3. Re: Lightning Effect moves when I save
              raizer89 Level 1

I have Premiere Elements 10, and the camcorder is a JVC Everio, I don't have the exact model number. But it is a flash memory camcorder.

• 4. Re: Lightning Effect moves when I save

I'm sorry, but we do need the exact model number. There are several models of Everios that produce several types of video.

If that's not available, download the free G Spot Codec Utility or MediaInfo and open your video file in it. Then post to the forum the codec, resolution and frame rate the utility lists.

• 5. Re: Lightning Effect moves when I save
                  raizer89 Level 1

Luckily I still have the box. Just had to dig for it. It's a Everios S, model # GZ-MS130. Steve if you can help me with this so I don't have to re-edit the whole movie I'll name my first born after you. Let me know if you need any other information.

• 6. Re: Lightning Effect moves when I save
                    raizer89 Level 1

I apologize for not giving more information earlier. Been away from my comp and on a dying cell phone that's not holding a charge very well. Looking on the internet, I see the camera I have produces MPEG2 (.MOD) files. There's other information about this camera I have found, but it has more to do with the specs on the cam such as zoom ratio and camera weight. I don't think that's information that's needed. If you need more, I can post all the spec off of JVC's site and the review site I found with the specs on the cam. I hope this helps. Thanks for taking the time to assist me.

• 7. Re: Lightning Effect moves when I save
                      raizer89 Level 1

I'm not being mean, but I wasn't getting any help. I've been forced to redo all the edits of the lightning effect on the swords. However, I tested the heck out of the rendering and the effects before I committed to going to far along. What I've discovered is if you save the videos under a 720:30 mpeg file, then add all your effects and save the newly editted video as the same 720:30 file the lightning stays on the sword. This is the only thing that's worked for me.

I don't know if it's the right answer, but I tried garbage matte, luma key, adding a solid green back ground and tracing the lightning effect and then try to video merge the effect ontop of the old footage. Nothing other than redoing everything saved as a 720:30 mpeg file worked. 

• 8. Re: Lightning Effect moves when I save

This happens sometimes, as I said, when you're working with MPEGs. Here's the best workaround.

Edit your MOD files in a video project using Hard Disk Camcorder project settings. Then, before adding your lightning effects, use Share/Computer/AVI to output yourproject as an AVI.

Open a new project and place that new AVI on your timeline, then add the  lightning effects. When you output your movie, your lightning effects will be right where you placed them!