6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2012 1:35 PM by OregonRebel

What's up with this image?

OregonRebel

I only use PSE for very basic stuff like editing iTunes artwork, and I can't figure this out: Sometimes I run into images like this one that appear to have a transparent background, but when I bring it into PSE it has a black background.

The image info doesn't provide any clues, the image appears to be a regular image without an invisible layer.

Oddly this image, which is meant to be used as a hard drive icon, does not have the black background when pasted into the Get Info window.  Why is that?

Please tell me why the pasted image has a black background and if there's an easy way to make the background transparent when pasted, other than using tools like Magic Extractor to remove it.

• 1. Re: What's up with this image?
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

That's a png file with transparency.

Instead of of copy and paste, try saving the imge as a png

(right click on the image in your browser and choose Save As or something

similar depending on the browser)

Then when you open the image in photoshop elements the background should be transparent.

Untitled-38.png

• 2. Re: What's up with this image?
            OregonRebel Level 1

I was gonna try that, but I thought the saved image would be the same as the pasted image. Why does this occur only with certain images?

I've copied hundreds of images online and pasted them into PSE, and this very rarely happens. Is there something strange about the image, like it really does have an invisible layer? It looks like such a simple image.

If this had been a jpg, I wouldn't want to save it first due to the slight loss of quality, I prefer to copy & paste directly to PSE then edit and save as png. Since this one is already a png, it makes no difference.

• 3. Re: What's up with this image?
              Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

It's different from a jpeg in that pngs represent transparency in the transparency channel.

If you copy and paste, then elements flattens (maybe the system clipboard does) the image resulting in an opaque background where there should be transparency.

Your right that saving jpegs can result in quality loss, so copy and paste is better than saving.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: What's up with this image?
                OregonRebel Level 1

And there's no way to paste without flattening to preserve the transparency?

So I take it this can only happen with png and maybe gif, but not jpg?

• 5. Re: What's up with this image?
                  Barbara B. Level 7

Jpgs by definition never have transparent areas in them, so any time you create a jpg the transparent areas fill with white. Tiff, gif, and png all allow transparency.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: What's up with this image?
                    OregonRebel Level 1

That's what I thought.

And again, there's no way to paste without flattening to preserve the transparency?

Thank you both for the help.