35 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2015 11:18 PM by ikomcs RSS

Waiting on server problem

TheBowler Community Member

I have an intermittent problem with FTP on CS6 that is widely reported on the Internet. When I try to upload files CS6 hangs with a "waiting on server ..." message.  How do I fix this bug?

• 1. Re: Waiting on server problem
          David_Powers ACP

Have you installed the 12.0.1 update, which fixed some FTP problems?

https://blogs.adobe.com/dreamweaver/2012/07/dreamweaver-cs6-update-12-0-1.html

• 2. Re: Waiting on server problem
            Ken Binney MVP

In addition to David's suggestion, it only takes a few seconds to ping your server to be sure it's not a third party issue.

• 3. Re: Waiting on server problem
              sudarshan.t Community Member

To add to both David & Ken, I'd also recommend that you check your remote server settings. Has it worked properly before without hanging on you? If so, check your hosting server by pinging. If it hasn't, maybe one of the remote server definition is incorrect/ malfunctioning?

• 4. Re: Waiting on server problem

I had no problems before I upgraded to CS6  and no problem with other FTP software.

And I have installed the update.

• 5. Re: Waiting on server problem
                  Community Member

TheBowler wrote:

How do I fix this bug?

By using dedicated FTP program like FileZilla Client.  Even updating your DW with all the patches, FTP has never worked for some people and nobody at Adobe has managed to resolve this thus far.  You get all sorts of advice here to try this and try that but there is no real solution for this problem on some machines.  I work on windows systems and I haven't had this problem but I have read on many forums that DW's FTP program doesn't work and is slower than dedicated programs.

Good luck.

• 6. Re: Waiting on server problem

My problem is that I paid top dollar for this upgrade and this is a major problem. I cannot afford to sit and wait until DW decides it's time to make the FTP happen. Similarly, I should not have to exit Dreamweaver and use a third party FTP program to achieve what I paid Adobe for.

• 7. Re: Waiting on server problem
                      MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

Similarly, I should not have to exit Dreamweaver and use a third party FTP program to achieve what I paid Adobe for.

I agree.  DW's FTP has never failed me yet in more than 10 years of use.  When I have problems like OP describes, my first step is to check the host/server to see if there is a problem with the FTP server. Failing that, I switch to passive FTP and try again. By this point, I am usually all set.

To debug tricky FTP connections, Adobe has set up an FTP test server. You can read about this here -

http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/troubleshoot-ftp-issues-dreamweaver-cs5.html

• 8. Re: Waiting on server problem

Murray I have been using various versions of DW now for about ten years. I had no problme with any of my sites or servers with my previous version. The problem only arose when I upgraded to CS6. This is a DW problem.

• 9. Re: Waiting on server problem
                          MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

Try reading through that article I posted and see if anything in there helps.

• 10. Re: Waiting on server problem

Just a thought - do you have multiple network connections active - i.e. - Wi-fi & Ethernet?

It may be possible for FTP connections to fail/ showcase latency in this case.

• 11. Re: Waiting on server problem

I have a wireless router through which my main PC connects to the Internet. I also have another PC, which I don't use connected via Ethernet.

• 12. Re: Waiting on server problem

What are the settings for the Remote server in your site definition?

Can you try changing Transfer mode to Passive?

• 13. Re: Waiting on server problem

Thank you but the problem is not with a single site. It is with all sites I have worked with since upgrading.

I have passive mode set by default on all of my sites.

• 14. Re: Waiting on server problem
                                    V_RocKs Community Member

I also had this problem. I somehow fixed it. That was years ago and now it is back.

This happens to me when I buy, or otherwise use, a new router.

Unfortunately I don't think I ever could pinpoint what fixed it as I think I did like 10 things all at once and it worked...

I love the people that suggest passive FTP... This isn't some simple fix... This is a Dreamweaver problem that only Dreamweaver users have to deal with. If I use any other FTP program it works flawlessly. DW's FTP program is a joke. A sad joke. It hasn't been updated in I don't know how long. No concurrent file transfering? Really? When will DW have the basic functions everyone else added years ago?

• 15. Re: Waiting on server problem
                                      David_Powers ACP

V_RocKs wrote:

DW's FTP program is a joke. A sad joke. It hasn't been updated in I don't know how long. No concurrent file transfering? Really? When will DW have the basic functions everyone else added years ago?

Which version of Dreamweaver are you using? The FTP client was given a major overhaul in CS6. It's now capable of handling concurrent transfers (three files at a time). You can also download at the same time as uploading.

If you still have problems with Dreamweaver's FTP, please file a bug report through the form at http://adobe.ly/DWBug. Please make sure you include reproducible steps for the problem. Just saying the FTP program is a joke isn't enough. It certainly was bad in the past, and it still has some issues that need ironing out, but unless they can be consistently reproduced, it's difficult for the engineers to solve them.

• 16. Re: Waiting on server problem

+1 David on that.

One thing I feel that is primarily lacking in DW's FTP client is the ability to queue files - if a batch action is in progress to upload files, more files cannot be initiated for upload. But this is something that should be fixed in the next major release - David?

• 17. Re: Waiting on server problem

David_Powers wrote:

Which version of Dreamweaver are you using?

Did you actually read my first post?

Regarding posting a bug report, this is a well known problem. There are plenty of bug reports. It's a fix report I need now!

• 18. Re: Waiting on server problem
                                            R8th

My developement group and I have been using Adobe/Macromedia products professionally since '99. This bug has existed for a long time, 5.5 and earlier. When this bug truly bites you, you get "Operation timed out. Cancelling..." and the machine locks up, requiring ctrl+alt+delete to force quit this steaming pile. There's no reason for this. This bug, and this bug alone, and the time sync that Dreamweaver has become to our organization is the reason my boss will never OK a procurment request to upgrade anything Adobe makes. They'll never fix this bug.

• 19. Re: Waiting on server problem
                                              seippg

Add one more to the list of folks still having the issue.  I have three servers and cannot connect to the one with the nonstandard port.  It works but fails when it gets to the PWD command in the log.  Freeware FTP programs have no problem connecting and running PWD.

• 20. Re: Waiting on server problem

seippg, Do you mean the a non-21 port as non-standard? If so, maybe the Connection type is not FTP, should be SFTP? Have you tried that?

• 21. Re: Waiting on server problem

This is driving me crazy! I want my money back. CS6 is a waste of space.

• 22. Re: Waiting on server problem
                                                    tyrell corp. Community Member

same thing has been happening to me for the better part of a year.  when uploading sometimes everything is fine.  but most times i get 'waiting for server' and it won't upload & times out.  if i hit cancel & then upload again it works, but i have to do this constantly.

cyberduck & netbeans on the same system do not have any problems at all.

in site settings > servers i have my ftp set and have tried all the different checkboxes under 'more options' and nothing seems to fix it.  same thing with ftp, sftp, what have you.

• 23. Re: Waiting on server problem

sent this to adobe via the bug report form.  they got back to me and asked me to try the following, which seems to have worked!  give it a shot.

1. Go to Site category in preferences dialog.
                                                      2. Increase the FTP time out time from 30 sec to higher value. Let us say 180 sec.
                                                      3. Hit apply and close.
                                                      • 24. Re: Waiting on server problem
                                                        V_RocKs Community Member

Questions:

Are any of you using FIOS?

Are you using an Actiontec router MI424WR?

If so what revision?

I noticed this problem after upgrading from my Verizon FIOS Actiontec router Revision D.

Revision G and I both are having this problem.

Is anyone else using FIOS and/or an Actiontec router?

Have you tried using Filezilla? If so did it have this same problem?

I have tried filezilla and the problem happens there too: http://prntscr.com/30h1c7

• 25. Re: Waiting on server problem
                                                          crackw20565285

I don't understand. If a lot of people are having this problem - Why the hell is Adobe not answering it? This seems like a common problem that spams many versions which I can confirm as well.

It is not a credentials problem, or a network issue or some silly or obvious issue. It is Dreamweaver. Plain and simple. Yet no support for this.

Some may say how do you know it is not your connection or system, etc. Because I, we, use a good number of FTP, SSH, SFTP programs for other things and without any issues. None in fact. Transfer takes almost zero seconds it is so fast and efficient. Our connection is extremely low latency and has mass bandwidth. Yet, good old Dreamweaver SUCKS.

So again, Why on earth would Adobe not answer this once and for all? We spend hours and hours searching yielding zero solutions besides the clown that states are you using this type of modem, what port are you using or maybe its a problem with your network. You should ask you network provider... LOLOLOLOLOL.

This is total SH*T !  ADOBE - You really love wasting peoples time.

• 26. Re: Waiting on server problem
                                                            niksmif Community Member

I completely agree. Look at the length of time that this issue has been reported - 4 years or so during which time Adobe has done NOTHING to address this problem. And don't reply with b**sh** about checking FTP settings or 3rd party issues - the weight of evidence shows clearly that this is just broken software that Adobe have for some reason refused to fix.

What happens? I launch DW (CS6), successfully upload files for a short period of time, then - the dreaded 'Waiting for Server' message. How to fix it? Quit Dreamweaver and restart - then good for another 10 mins or so. As suggested I have tried increasing the FTP time out, and this sometimes makes a difference - very rarely the WFS message does clear and the file does upload.

What's the problem here, Adobe? You've had long enough to fix it. And if this isn't an issue for CC users you still have a responsibility to everyone who has shelled out for CS6, CS5.5 etc

• 27. Re: Waiting on server problem
                                                              23. Re: Waiting on server problem

Tony MinuteCommunity Member

sent this to adobe via the bug report form.  they got back to me and asked me to try the following, which seems to have worked!  give it a shot.

1. Go to Site category in preferences dialog.
                                                              2. Increase the FTP time out time from 30 sec to higher value. Let us say 180 sec.
                                                              3. Hit apply and close.

I tried this and it worked for a while but here were are again.  i was dealing with this a year ago, and was already dealing with it for a year before this post, and i'm still dealing with it.  Multiple macs, multiple servers.

• 28. Re: Waiting on server problem

here's what i see in mac console when dw hangs on quit with the 'file activity' floating window open.  maybe this will provide a clue as to what the issue is.

2/21/15 12:55:26.014 AM

WindowServer[112]: common_reenable_update: UI updates were finally reenabled by application "Dreamweaver" after 33.78 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds)

2/21/15 12:55:28.916 AM

Console[1221]: Failed to connect (_consoleX) outlet from (NSApplication) to (ConsoleX): missing setter or instance variable

• 29. Re: Waiting on server problem
                                                                  Nancy O. MVP

Have you tried toggling settings under More Options?

DWCS6-moreOptions.jpg

Nancy O.

• 30. Re: Waiting on server problem
                                                                    semerj Community Member

I had this problem. I started playing with the settings and finally got it to work.

under the server settings, more options check the following and see what happens.:

• use passive FTP
                                                                    • use IP6 transfer mode
                                                                    • use FTP performance optimization

don't know if it's a fluke that this works, but worth a shot.

• 31. Re: Waiting on server problem
                                                                      ikomcs Community Member

I too have been experiencing the problem with Dreamweaver FTP connection issues for the past few years and I simply can't understand why Adobe haven't resolved this simple but crucial process. Transmit and other FTP clients work without any problem at all. I have tried Passive FTP and the other settings but with no sign of improvement. What makes this problem so frustrating is it's an intermittent problem, sometimes it works for a few transfers and then it simply falls over.

Please fix this Adobe.

• 32. Re: Waiting on server problem
                                                                        ikomcs Community Member

The following solution appears to have worked:

Goto Manage Site > Servers > Remote Server > Advanced : Server Model: {SELECT YOUR MODEL}

For me this is PHP MYSQL

Thank you to Adam at:

Dreamweaver CS5 Long “Waiting for server” on uploads

• 33. Re: Waiting on server problem

yes, i've played with every combination of those checkboxes.

• 34. Re: Waiting on server problem

Goto Manage Site > Servers > Remote Server > Advanced : Server Model: {SELECT YOUR MODEL}

For me this is PHP MYSQL

yep, tried with 'none' and php mysql (which is what i usually have it set to).

• 35. Re: Waiting on server problem
                                                                              ikomcs Community Member

On further testing this hasn't solved the problem.