12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2012 7:41 AM by Curt Y

Can't open Camera Raw in Bridge

Balearik

One thing I noticed is that with CS5, when I choose Browse in Mini Bridge while in Photoshop, Bridge opens in the background. In CS6 when I browse in Mini Bridge, regular Bridge does not open, although I can open Bridge directly from Photoshop. The other strange thing is that I can open Camera Raw from mini Bridge, just not from regular Bridge. I get the same message as others get, that Bridge's parent application is not active and that I must launch a qualifying product at least once in order to open Camera Raw. I searched all the files I downloaded and installed for "trial" but nothing came up. Is there a certain file name or extension I should be looking for? Or is there some other way to solve the problem?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can't open Camera Raw in Bridge
          Balearik Level 1

Anyone have any suggestions? Please?

• 2. Re: Can't open Camera Raw in Bridge
            Curt Y Level 7

It is my understanding that Bridge must be running to browse files in mini-bridge.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can't open Camera Raw in Bridge
              Balearik Level 1

Yes, but when I open mini bridge in CS5, I can see Bridge open on my taskbar at the bottom of the screen and I can click on it. In CS6 I can't see bridge open anywhere when I open mini bridge. It is like there is a separate version of bridge running invisibly or something. I don't understand it.

• 4. Re: Can't open Camera Raw in Bridge
                marliton Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

If you are navigating with Mini Bridge, Bridge must be opened, maybe it runs minified and you haven't realized. About of the second problem, some aplications need open other aplications before they run for the first time.

• 5. Re: Can't open Camera Raw in Bridge
                  Curt Y Level 7

It is possible you delted a trial rather than uninstalling it.  Not sure if that would leave parts of the program that might foul you up.

Numerous users have found that deleting old trials solved the problem.  But if you can't find one then I am at a loss.

When I go to Fiie/browse in mini-bridge in the pannel there is notification that says "Bridge must be running to browse files"  then a radio button that says "launch bridge".  If you do not get this it may indicate a faulty installation. 

P.S.  Might get conformation on this as I have yet to see need to use mini-bridge.

• 6. Re: Can't open Camera Raw in Bridge
                    Balearik Level 1

Thanks, I have resolved the problem.

• 7. Re: Can't open Camera Raw in Bridge
                      Curt Y Level 7

Balearik wrote:

Thanks, I have resolved the problem.

Please state how you did it as there are  others that will read this thread with similar problems and may like to know solution.

• 8. Re: Can't open Camera Raw in Bridge
                        Balearik Level 1

I re-installed CS6, began the trial, launched photosohp and bridge, then closed them and ran the real program. I guess somehow Bridge was connected to the trial version, butnow that I opened the trial version it will allow Camrea Raw to open. Still don't totally get it but anyway everything works now. Although I still don't see the bridge application running in the background when I open mini bridge, but that is not very important as long as they both work.

• 9. Re: Can't open Camera Raw in Bridge
                          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Balearik wrote:

Yes, but when I open mini bridge in CS5, I can see Bridge open on my taskbar at the bottom of the screen and I can click on it. In CS6 I can't see bridge open anywhere when I open mini bridge. It is like there is a separate version of bridge running invisibly or something. I don't understand it.

It sounds like your on a PC (Windows).  Windows only allows one version of Photoshop and one version of Bridge to run are ang given time.  There are also Preferences in the Bridge Advance setting to start bridge at log on. When this option is check Bridge stays open in the background and may be hidden. So if Bridge CS5 is running and you start Photoshop CS6 Bridge CS6 will not be able to start. So make sure the check box to start Bridge is not checked in both Bridge CS5 and Bridge CS6

br.jpg

stbr.jpg

• 10. Re: Can't open Camera Raw in Bridge
                            Balearik Level 1

Sorry but I am once having trouble with Camera Raw. When I try to open a file by choosing "Open in Camera Raw" from the menu, I am getting the same error message about the qualifying parent application. I am still able to use Photoshop just fine, but I can't open Camera Raw from Bridge. The only acception is when I double click on a RAW file, which is set to open in Camera Raw by default, then it opens just fine. But I can't open JPEGs because double clicking opens them in Photoshop. As before, I can still open Camera Raw from mini bridge.

The weird thing is that this started about 30 days after I had the initial problem, so it almost seems like I was using a trial version of bridge and that bridge and mini bridge are disconnected somehow, like there are two different versions. When I had CS5, bridge automatically opened whenever I opened mini bridge. I know I do not have anything from CS5 still on my computer and I never had it running at startup anyway so I don't think that is an issue.

• 11. Re: Can't open Camera Raw in Bridge
                              conroy Level 5

Look in Camera Raw Preferences. There are controls for handling of JPEG and TIFF. Maybe yours has become set to "Disable JPEG support" and needs set to one of the other options.

• 12. Re: Can't open Camera Raw in Bridge
                                Curt Y Level 7

It appear you have a problem with Bridge ACR.  You need to go into its directory and see what is there.  If you have a Win OS it is at Program Files/COMMON FILES/adobe/plugins/cs6/file formats.  THere should be one file there camera raw.8bi.  Look at the date modified and see it that is the date  you installed.  If it is an early trial date you can delete the file (or change name so not recognized) and download ACR 7.2.