6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2012 2:34 PM by BenjaminMarkus

AE Creating Huge Reference Files

Daz1761

I have just recently upgraded to a SSD hard drive, so saving space and keeping a closer eye on things is now a necessity due to the size of the drive.  After using a very helpful app called Omni Disk Sweeper, I immediately noticed that in my Mac OS X Lion / Users / Library / Preferences / Adobe folder a subfolder for AE that was taking up over 10GB of space!  I immediately deleted that folder, but when I opened one of my comps I had a message saying over 80 files are missing, etc.  I'm not sure what the best way is to work around this, unless theres something in my settings that needs adjusting.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: AE Creating Huge Reference Files
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Preferences --> Media & Disk Cache. Magic!

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AE Creating Huge Reference Files
            Daz1761 Level 1

Ah excellent :-)

So should I target another disc such as my secondary WD 750GB Black, or leave it as it is and just empty the cache after every session?  Or will that affect my projects when I reload them?

• 3. Re: AE Creating Huge Reference Files
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

...I immediately noticed that in my Mac OS X Lion / Users / Library / Preferences / Adobe folder a subfolder for AE that was taking up over 10GB of space!  I immediately deleted that folder, but when I opened one of my comps I had a message saying over 80 files are missing, etc

Bad news, bud...

You just deleted your temporary AE render files.  You see, AE has to render EVERYTHING.  No way around it.  So when you made a QT reference files, they referenced the very files you deleted.

When rendering in AE, making reference files is a false economy.  You need to make them self-contained.  Only then will you have what you need.

And if you're this concerned about the amount of storage AE uses, you really need more storage.

• 4. Re: AE Creating Huge Reference Files
                Daz1761 Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

Can you please elabourate this please:

"When rendering in AE, making reference files is a false economy.  You need to make them self-contained.  Only then will you have what you need."

I am using an SSD combined with a fast 7200rpm hard drive, so am I best creating a disk cache folder on that drive as it is a 750gb drive.  Also when is the best time to empty the cache via preferences / Media & Disc Cache / Empty Disk Cache.  In addition what actually happens when disk cache is disabled?

Many thanks

• 5. Re: AE Creating Huge Reference Files
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

The Disk Cache is intended to speed up previewing, and to a certain extent, rendering -- which is the creation of animations in AE.  To make a file that can be transported to non-Adobe applications, it has to be the complete file.

And if the term "Render Queue" is new in your vocabulary, you really need to learn how to use it.

• 6. Re: AE Creating Huge Reference Files
                    BenjaminMarkus Level 4

Read this for more information about caches in After Effects.