1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 25, 2012 8:55 PM by Ned Gardiner

Persistent problem loading AE on Mac 10.6

Ned Gardiner

You may have seen a post already by me, but I am still trying to resolve why After Effects won't load. At the bottom of this message, I recap the steps I've taken, but for those who may have already seen my previous post, here is the new information I can provide. I launched AE from Applications/AE/AECS5.5.app {show package contents}/Contents/MacOs/After Effects. Here is the output I get:

2012-11-11 13:58:21.816 After Effects[4093:903] Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DVCPROHDAudio:  dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DVCPROHDAudio, 262): no suitable image found.  Did find:

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DVCPROHDAudio: no matching architecture in universal wrapper

2012-11-11 13:58:21.817 After Effects[4093:903] Cannot find function pointer NewPlugIn for factory C5A4CE5B-0BB8-11D8-9D75-0003939615B6 in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x115833e30 </Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin> (bundle, not loaded)

<4445371584> <ASL.ResourceUtils.GetLanguageIDFromRegistry> <0> Unable to obtain the User 'Language' registry key at: Software\Adobe\After Effects\10.5\ Defaulting to 'en_US'.

--

Here is the complete history of my problem:

I have Master Collection CS5.5 on a Mac running OS 10.6.8. The full suite had been running fine until late October, at which point After Effects stopped loading on launch. Illustrator and Photoshop start and run without problems, but After Effects will/would not launch. It hangs while loading MediaCore. When I launch in safe mode, I get an error with the Verdana font, so I've addressed that problem as suggested above (see my notes below). I successfully launched After Effects one time last week before uninstalling the Master Collection and taking all the steps outlined below, but the software has since refused to launch at all. I have not made any major system changes in the past two months. The most recent change I've made that might be relevant is the installation of FinalCut Pro, but the two packages have coexisted without incident since summer. I regularly use VLC, Quicktime Pro 10 and Quicktime Pro 7, but I have not made any changes to these recently.

Here are the steps I have taken:

• delete user preferences
      • remove VLC and Quicktime 10
      • Repaired disk permissions
      • run software updates on Mac OS; my last update was a Java patch in late October; roughly coincides with when my troubles began. There are no ATI/Radeon patches available for Mac OS 10.6 that I can find, and I believe that the system's "Software Updates" provides such updates
      • completely uninstall and reinstall Master Collection and install software updates using "Updates" within Photoshop (have done this sequence three times)
      • remove font list ("AdobeFnt11.1.lst" and "AdobeFnt11.lst") in /Library/Application support/Adobe/PDFL/9.0/fonts
      • use Appzapper to remove After Effects before reinstalling it
      • boot in safe mode and launch either from .app file or from Package Contents/MacOS/ terminal executable
      • remove MediaCore components completely by placing them on the desktop