3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2012 3:45 PM by Jim_Simon

Which CS 6 Production Premium system requirements are "hard" requirements?

OhGreatOne

Which of the published CS 6 Production Premium system requirements are "hard" requirements--in other words, those for which installation will not proceed if they're not met?

I'm particularly interested in the hard drive speed, and I'm wondering if it will install on a 5400 RPM drive, because I'd like to run it on a laptop.

I realize that a laptop is not a recommended architecture for this, but it's not for professional use; I'll just be doing some home movies and occasional PhotoShop stuff.

• 1. Re: Which CS 6 Production Premium system requirements are "hard" requirements?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Hard requirements are CPU, memory, monitor resolution, 7200 RPM disk and OS version (64 bit only). All the rest makes the difference between a system that is slower than molasses in winter and a decent system. Of course, 'decent' is a personal choice and budget plays a major role in that. I can tell you that a single 5400 disk laptop will give you major headaches when editng and will be at least 80 times slower than a fast system and requires a wall outlet for its juice, negating the advantage of a laptop.

See System requirements for Premiere Pro CS5/6

• 2. Re: Which CS 6 Production Premium system requirements are "hard" requirements?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should be able to install & run CS6 programs, but for video editing you REALLY need a second 7200rpm hard drive for all your project and video and temporary video work files

Trying to edit with only one, 5400rpm drive, will be an exercise in frustration

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions

Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work

You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand

A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing

You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything

Partition = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957286

I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit

Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing

Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433 use USB externals for editing

A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used the eSata hardware below... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers

• 3. Re: Which CS 6 Production Premium system requirements are "hard" requirements?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

The only two I know of that will cause the installation to fail is lack of 64 bit Operating System and insufficient space on the hard drive for the files.  Everything else is more likely to be a minimum recommended for actually running the program, but aren't likely to cause installation itself to fail.