7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2012 7:13 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 11 + Windows 8 pro = slow timeline scrolling!

Tolis9100

Hi!

I experience slow redraw of the timeline clips when I scroll,

which makes it very difficult, slow and unpleasant to edit!

This in nothing new to you all, as I have read in many posts about this problem!

And everyone is asking (below these posts) questions like:

"do you have the latest QuickTime codecs?" or "do you have the latest graphics drivers?"

or that our pc are slow or that we work with strange video formats or to change to no thumbnail in the clips or that its

the antivirus fault or whatever.

It is not all these!

As I have read:

-It can happen in many versions of Premiere Elements(maybe in all of them, I don't know)

-It can happen in both ATI/AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards

-It can happen in all hardware configurations CPU/motherboards

-It can happen in all windows versions and both 32/64 bit

So I am guessing it is not our fault.

Can Adobe finally fix this problem with an update? It's been so many versions until now!

please... Is it so difficult?

Can't the programmers see what are we talking about? Can't they fix the programme?

Before I bought Premiere Elements 11 I had the 9 version in windows 7(64bit)

The same problem, slow/laggy timeline redraw when moving back and forth.

The solution I found was to disable the Aero feature in windows 7!

And oh my god... the timeline then was so fast and smooth, I was so happy to edit!

So I compromised with that(disabling aero).

Recently I have upgrad the same PC to windows 8 pro(64 bit) AND bought Premiere Elements 11. (hoping for speed in every possible way!)

The slow timeline scrolling still happens in both PRE9 and in PRE11.

And guess what? in windows 8 pro you can't disable the "aero feature"!!!

You can only change some visual settings, and even if I disable all of them, nothing changes!

So are we really stuck with the laggy timeline scrolling in windows 8???

Premiere Elements 11 is so much faster in all other things (exept the timeline scrolling)

In the preview window for example. It can play really smooth, in real time WITHOUT render preview

some pretty difficult compositions I make! multiple layers, with greenbox and many other filter effects!

Which in Premiere Elements 9 (in the same PC) the preview play was very laggy!

(don't forget that with aero disabled in PE9(win7), same PC, same complicated compositions, timeline scrolling superfast!)

I think they made some pretty good graphic card use in the preview play in PRE11!

I present and edit a youtube show with Premiere Elements with demanding compositing and everyone thinks I use Premiere Pro CS 

version or After Effects CS. But I don't, I want to be legal and I can't aford the prices of these applications

so I buy and use the Elements series which are very powerful as well, if you know what to do and HOW to do it!

See for youselves my show I posted today(in Greek, I am from Greece), which I edited in PRE11.(pefrect greenbox, perfect!)

http://youtu.be/HdKAKI6P8tU?hd=1&t=1m28s (open in a new window)

or move time to 1:28 from the below youtube video window.

But unfortunattely the timeline scrolling made my editing unpleasant and slow!

My question is: Will I, (now that I have upgraded to windows 8 pro 64bit) have to edit ALL my next shows/videos

with the slow/laggy timeline scrolling??? please tell me something to hope for...

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 + Windows 8 pro = slow timeline scrolling!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Most users do not have display redraw issues, and with nearly every version of PrE out there.

Display/GUI issues most often related to the video driver.

I did not see what video display adapter you have, and also which video driver you have installed. Can you post that info please?

For folk, who do have older video cards/chips, and ARE experiencing display slowness, turning OFF Display All Frames, to Display First, or Display First & Last, has sped things up for them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 + Windows 8 pro = slow timeline scrolling!
            nealeh Level 5

PRE7 was the last version I have that redraws the timeline pretty much instantly. I skipped PRE8 but v9, v10, & v11 all suffer from the slow redraw on my system - as much as ten seconds on my 1920 x 1200 screen.

Very frustrating and bug reported many times but sadly no sign of it being fixed.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 + Windows 8 pro = slow timeline scrolling!
              Tolis9100 Level 1

I have an ATI/AMD FirePro  v4800 1GB GDDR5 with the latest drivers for this card (8.982.8.3)

Is my video card not compatible?

this slow redraw of the timeline happened way before

and everytime a new driver version came up I had installed it but that didn't change anything.

Only with aero disabled I would enjoy a fast timeline scrolling in windows 7. (now, not possible in windows 8 pro)

Bill how can you explain this? Same video card and everytime with the SAME NEW drivers, aero on=slow timeline, aero off=fast timeline!

Is there some kind of a fix that we can always wait from our graphics card companies to include to new drivers??? (for how long???)

or maybe is it all up to Adobe and its own programme?

Are we all supposed to have old video display drivers?

Can someone make some kind of a poll for people who have this problem to vote to see where this problem apears, in which configurations, in which graphics cards? (assuming they have latest drivers)

so we all finally know what/where is the problem.

I love the premiere elements series and thats why I want this to be solved.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 + Windows 8 pro = slow timeline scrolling!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry, but I do not use the Aero interface, as it has created several problems with other Adobe programs, like After Effects.

Maybe someone else can offer some thoughts that will be helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 + Windows 8 pro = slow timeline scrolling!
                  Tolis9100 Level 1

Bill turn aero on and maybe you will see what me and all the other are talking about!

The bad thing is that in windows 8 the Aero interface can't be turned off!

I am guessing there are going to be a lot of complaints in windows 8 and the timeline from now on...

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11 + Windows 8 pro = slow timeline scrolling!
                    Tolis9100 Level 1

UPDATE!

Great news! I have my timeline with fast/normal scrolling at last!

The thing is I don't know what happened or changed! There was no updates to graphics card drivers!

The only thing I did was install a trial version of Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 (just to check its timeline scrolling and it was good by the way)

Then  the next day I ran Premiere Elements 11 and wow, the timeline scrolling was fast/normal!

Amazing, I am so happy now!

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11 + Windows 8 pro = slow timeline scrolling!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The only thing I did was install a trial version of Adobe Premiere Pro CS6

Maybe all it took for PrE to work correctly, was for it to feel threatened by the presence of PrPro CS 6... ?  Then, PrE just "shaped up."

Glad that things are working for you, and I cannot imagine what might have changed with just the trial of PrPro CS 6, but I'm happy that it DID change for you - a puzzle.

Good luck,

Hunt