24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2012 8:35 AM by Jim_Simon

AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6

Mickeyfilm

After over 12 years as an Avid editor (now on MC 6.5) I decided to switch to Adobe Premiere CS6 because I have a music documentary to edit with over 300 hours of material shot on AVCHD.  Avid still hasn't conquered the AVCHD problem (although it's getting better) and I thought Adobe had.  I've spent a lot of money making this switch only to discover that Premiere plays back slow and has lots of problems with AVCHD. When is Adobe going to fix this?  I'm scared my only solution is to sale my wonderful MacPro (16 gig, NVIDIA 4000 card) and use Sony Vegas which doesn't have any problems with AVCHD. If the Adobe fix is only days away, I can wait. If not, I've really got to go to Sony. 

Mickey Grant

• 1. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Adobe generally doesn't let us know about an update until it's ready.  So we just don't know when the next patch will come.

• 2. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
            Greg Baber Adobe Employee

The known issue with AVCHD is playing back spanned clips - those that are over a certain length so the camera splits them into separate files.  This is not the same thing as saying that Premiere just plays back slow.  For a performance issue, don't assume that it is the bug - look into other possibilities.

Also, if you are having a hard time working in AVCHD footage, for whatever reason, a step that can help is to transcode your footage.  Prelude does a good job, and the problem footage that I've worked with was transcoded without issue.  Go into a good intermediary codec, like DNxHD for Mac, and it that could resolve your issue. 

• 3. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
              Mickeyfilm Level 1

I'm very familiar with all those fixes, especially spanned files.  I don't want to go to an intermediary codec, without question, that degrades your footage.  Like I said, I've been an Avid editor for over 12 years, over 40 years as a filmmaker.  Only Vegas properly deals with this situation.  I will switch to them if I don't get some kind of sign that Adobe is going to deal with this absurd problem.  Several professional cameras have AVCHD and it looks great.  I believe Avid and Adobe simply consider AVCHD an amateur format.  Funny that Premiere CS5 seemed to deal with it in a decent manner!

• 4. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6

I think you are misunderstanding my statement.  What I am saying is that the known issue with AVCHD footage is based on spanned clips - otherwise they should run just fine.  If you are not dealing with those types of files, then your issue is something else entirely and you should try troubleshooting the files - not just waiting for a fix.

We are not dismissing AVCHD footage - we would like it all to work.  We just do not have a fix at this time - we will release one as soon as possible.

• 5. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                  Mickeyfilm Level 1

They don't run fine.  It's takes about 10 minutes after I bring them up before they will play.  Often when playing they freeze.  If you look at the many post about Adobe online you'll see that I'm not the only one having this problem.  I've got over 300 hours of material to cut into 13 one hour shows.  All this is horrific.  Vegas has no problem with this.  I downloaded the trial and it works perfect.  But after all this expense and time with training materials, it would be nice to get an honest answer from Adobe.

• 6. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6

Well Mickeyfilm,

I don't know what else I can say.  I've just been trying to help you by pointing out that your issue with AVCHD footage may not be the known bug.  If it isn't the bug, I don't want you to wait around for a fix that may not help you, or to go to another program when you may be able to get the footage working in our system.

I do not know what you want as an honest answer.  We have been forthcoming with the idea that there is a issue with spanned footage.  We do not have a timeline for the fix yet, and we will make it public when we are able to fix the issue.  

• 7. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                      Mickeyfilm Level 1

Thanks... it's not an issue of spanned footage.. it's an issue of absurdly slow playback, often just stops, audio plays, no video, CS6 is great with most other formats, not AVCHD.  I'm just concerned if Adobe is really aware of this disastrous problem and is trying to solve it.  By looking at all the post about this I question whether or not Adobe is slightly aware of it. I've had many conversations with the folks at Avid and I find that the really don't take AVCHD seriously.  Sony Vegas takes it serious and have solved the problem.  I just wish I knew that before I went from Avid to Adobe.  What's horrible is it's looking like the only way I can solve his besides moving from both Avid and Adobe is that I'll have to leave my Mac as Vegas doesn't work on Mac's.  I'm phoning Adobe in the morning and trying to get input as to whether or not they are trying to solve this problem.  My goal is simply to edit as I normally edit footage other than AVCHD.  It's really weird that CS5 seemed to work but CS6 doesn't.  I know I'm not the only person to have noticed this big glitch.

• 8. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                        jasonvp Level 3

Greg -

Greg Baber wrote:

We have been forthcoming with the idea that there is a issue with spanned footage.  We do not have a timeline for the fix yet, and we will make it public when we are able to fix the issue.  

I share the frustrations folks have with AVCHD editing in CS6; I know mine is due to the spanned clip issue.  It's highly frustrating to have spent good money on CS6 only to not be able to use it at all.  I'm forced to stick with CS5.5 which is fine, but I'd really like to use the new software without transcoding/converting my AVCHD footage.

The "we don't have a timeline yet" answer isn't going to hold water much longer.  I understand software development isn't easy, but you've known about this since around the time CS6 was released and there hasn't been any visible movement on it yet.

Figure this out quickly, please.  I'm not going to buy CS6.5 when it's released unless this is fixed before that.

Thanks.

jas

• 9. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

CS6 is great with most other formats, not AVCHD.

Outside of longer spanned clips from some cameras, CS6 work just fine with AVCHD, same as 5.5 and 5.0.  So if you're having issues with shorter clips, then something is definitely wrong with your setup.  That's actually good news, because it's something we may be able to help you fix.

• 10. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                            Mickeyfilm Level 1

I've shot over 180 bands the past months with 2 cameras for a doc series I'm making.  I try to cut both cameras off after each song to avoid spanned clips so usually the problems are with shots under 12 minutes.  When I upload from my 64 gig cards, I copy the "Private files" and usually have about 60 shots on each of them.  It takes about 2 min for the video of the files to appear and then I find them unstable.  When I bring them up to the preview window, it then takes another 2 or 3 minutes before they play cleanly.  Often the video stops but the audio continues.  I am use to editing very fast on Avid and at the rate I'm going with this I'll never finish on time.

• 11. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.

List the hardware specs of your system, including drive setup.

• 13. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                                Mickeyfilm Level 1

I have a Mid 2010 MacPro.  It therefore has a 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon and 16 GB  of ram.  I'm on Mac OS X Version 10.7.5. It's lightning fast with any other format than AVCHD. I'm running the latest version of Premiere and have assigned 13 gigs to Premiere and the rest to the other part of my computer.  I have NVIDIA Quatro 4000 card.

• 14. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

What model Xeon?

What's your drive setup?

• 15. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                                    Mickeyfilm Level 1

In no way do I think hardware is a problem but here's more details:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:     Mac Pro

Model Identifier:     MacPro5,1

Processor Name:     Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed:     2.8 GHz

Number of Processors:     1

Total Number of Cores:     4

L2 Cache (per Core):     256 KB

L3 Cache:     8 MB

Memory:     16 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed:     4.8 GT/s

Boot ROM Version:     MP51.007F.B03

SMC Version (system):     1.39f11

SMC Version (processor tray):     1.39f11

Serial Number (system):     YM0470SCEUE

Serial Number (processor tray):     J5046019FCZJB    

Hardware UUID:     AB84E602-6AAE-569B-81D4-3B6DD119F085

• 16. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                                      Mickeyfilm Level 1

I'm also running my 6t G-raid drive via a Sata card

• 17. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                                        Alan Craven Level 4

Like Jim, I do not experience these problems with AVCHD - CS6 behaves just like CS5.5 and CS5 in this respect.  I also do not have need for an exotic RAID array - just a plain RAID0 using the on-board controller.  Thus, the problem does not lie within Premiere itself.  It must lie within your particular clips, your installation of Premiere/Windows, or your hardware.

I use a powerful PC, which may be relevant.

• 18. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                                          Mickeyfilm Level 1

got it figured out...

• 19. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                                            Mickeyfilm Level 1

Hi Alan,  turned out I just needed to clean my media... Adobe chat was wonderful at helping

• 20. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                                              Mickeyfilm Level 1

Hello Jim,

Adobe Chat helped me.. I just had to clean my media.  Adobe Chat help was wonderful.

I appreciate all your help as well.

Mickey Grant

• 21. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                                                Mickeyfilm Level 1

Hello ...

Adobe Chat helped me and I got it working just fine... I just had to clean my media

Mickey Grant

• 22. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Glad you got it working.

• 23. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                                                    FUJILIVES

Having just begun the switch to Premiere, what is the procedure you used to "clean the media", as I'm sure I will encounter this problem as well ( I work primarily with AVCHD clips ).

• 24. Re: AVCHD AND PREMIERE CS6
                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

He's actually referring to the Media Cache Database.  There's a "Clean" button under Edit>Preferences>Media...