2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2012 7:18 AM by Dave LaRonde

Importing data from a file

Jygolfer80

Hello,

I am brand new to after effects and I need some guidance towards the correct lingo so I can search forums and the help files efficiently. 

I am looking to import data from an excel sheet into after effects where the animation and effects can affect each row of data the same way.  My excel list has 1000 names and I am looking for a more automatic way of doing this instead of creating a new composition each time and typing in the each name.

Is there a way to import from a file to create mulitple compositions, have all of those compositions have the same effects applied, then render each composition into an avi?

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks,

JW

• 1. Re: Importing data from a file
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Check AEScripts.com. The Comps from Spreadsheet script will help a lot as will possibly otehr scripts you can find there.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Importing data from a file
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

It would also be helpful to know your background in using multimedia. 

I think you're going to find that AE doesn't work the same way as any other application you've used before, and that you're probably going about things the wrong way.  With AE, you really need to take baby steps before you lace up the track shoes.

Start with the basics and work your way up.  If you're experienced in other  video manipulation applications it won't be too tough or take too long, but you still have to do it.  There are simply too many ways AE can confound you to do anything else.