3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2008 4:39 PM by Newsgroup_User

Align bottoms of two text boxes

sanfordsh
      This is so basic, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. In Fireworks CS3, 9.0.1:

In a new document I create two identical text boxes, one with the text "Cat" and the other with the text "Dog". (Notice the "g" is below the baseline.) I shift click both text objects and select Modify -> Align -> Bottom.

I expected the bottoms of both text boxes to be aligned. But what I got was the baseline of "Cat" aligned with with the bottom of the "g" in "Dog". Aligning top isn't any better because not all next boxes have tall or capital letters.

According to the Fireworks docs for Align: "Note: Edges are determined by the bounding boxes enclosing each selected object." This is apparently not the case with text boxes.

How do I align just the boxes to each other, and not the text inside while keeping the text editable?

Thank you!
        • 1. Re: Align bottoms of two text boxes
          Level 7
          I think the default registration point is "top left corner".

(Some applications allow variance on registration points)

So, aligning top should do the job well.

sanfordsh wrote:
          > This is so basic, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. In Fireworks CS3, 9.0.1:
          >
          > In a new document I create two identical text boxes, one with the text "Cat"
          > and the other with the text "Dog". (Notice the "g" is below the baseline.) I
          > shift click both text objects and select Modify -> Align -> Bottom.
          >
          > I expected the bottoms of both text boxes to be aligned. But what I got was
          > the baseline of "Cat" aligned with with the bottom of the "g" in "Dog".
          > Aligning top isn't any better because not all next boxes have tall or capital
          > letters.
          >
          > According to the Fireworks docs for Align: "Note: Edges are determined by the
          > bounding boxes enclosing each selected object." This is apparently not the
          > case with text boxes.
          >
          > How do I align just the boxes to each other, and not the text inside while
          > keeping the text editable?
          >
          > Thank you!
          >
          • 2. Re: Align bottoms of two text boxes
            sanfordsh Level 1
            Unfortunately not. Fireworks is using the top of the highest glyph in each text box as the top for aligning the objects. Please try what I detailed in my original post and you'll see what I mean. Fireworks is not using the "extent" box, but the glyphs inside to determine extent.

"registration points" are not a feature of Fireworks, unfortunately.

But thank you. :-)

quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
            I think the default registration point is "top left corner".

(Some applications allow variance on registration points)

So, aligning top should do the job well.
            • 3. Re: Align bottoms of two text boxes
              Level 7
              sanfordsh wrote:
              > Unfortunately not. Fireworks is using the top of the highest glyph in each
              > text box as the top for aligning the objects. Please try what I detailed in my
              > original post and you'll see what I mean. Fireworks is not using the "extent"
              > box, but the glyphs inside to determine extent.
              >
              > "registration points" are not a feature of Fireworks, unfortunately.
              >
              > But thank you. :-)
              >
              >
              quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
              > I think the default registration point is "top left corner".
              >
              > (Some applications allow variance on registration points)
              >
              > So, aligning top should do the job well.
              >
              >

Using a Guide works for me.

--
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              Adobe Community Expert
              http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
              ---
              See my work on Flickr
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_babbage/