9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2014 10:29 AM by WhyWhyWhyWhy

Tiffs blurred when viewed in CS5 but clear in windows paint?

HDR Rebel

Hi there

Yesterday I discovered that when I load tiffs into CS5 they are slightly blurred and the colour changes, when I load them into windows paint they are crystal clear and the colour is as it should be. To double check I obrained some free tiffs online and they also show up blurred and with more colout saturation, this only seems to happen with tiffs and has stopped me dead in my tracks.

I would be grateful if anyone could help me...  I have added an example of one of my photographs here, if you look closely you will see the photoshop image on the left loses detail and appears slighlty blurred, also the colour is more saturated. The windows paint version is crystal clear and the colour is true.

I just can't figure out why the free windows paint is opening up a clearer unaffected image whilst the premium photoshop software opens up a less clear and colour changed images...

I am hoping it is simply a case of my having the wrong setting somewhere in photoshop and someone can put me on the correct path..

Many thanks

Example.....       In both images compare the small tree situated above the large post on the right, the thin branches on the "right  hand" version are more detailed...

Many thanks

...............................  Click to enlarge ...........................................

photoshop test comparison.jpg

• 1. Re: Tiffs blurred when viewed in CS5 but clear in windows paint?
          conroy Level 5

Regarding the colour differences, check the colour profile of the image. It looks like your image has Adobe RGB profile but that is being ignored by Windows Paint and Paint is displaying it as if it has sRGB profile. If you prefer the less vivid appearance of the image in Paint then use Photoshop to assign sRGB profile to the image and resave it. Menu Edit > Assign Profile (not Convert to Profile).

You are not displaying the same image in each half of your comparison, anyway. Here they are after colour matching by changing profile. I think one of your images is blurred because it was resized at some stage of editing.

Click the animated GIF or open it in another browser tab to play it.

image-compare.gif

• 2. Re: Tiffs blurred when viewed in CS5 but clear in windows paint?
            Noel Carboni Level 8

As mentioned, your premium software is correctly interpreting the image's color profile because it embraces color-management, which professionals use to ensure they have the right colors in their images.  You should read up on color-management..

As far as why an image might look more crisp in one application than another (beyond it being two different images, one being manipulated)...  Are you displaying it at 100% zoom (i.e., pixel for pixel)?

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Tiffs blurred when viewed in CS5 but clear in windows paint?
              HDR Rebel Level 1

Thanks for helping Mark, I am very grateful..

I will try your suggestion and save in the less vivid SRGB..  the 2 images  in my comparison are the exact same image. One I opened in CS5 and one opened in Paint, I then took a screen grab of the two side by side and saved it, the only difference between the two is the one left has part of a camera flare I removed using content aware and the lassoo. I just missed a bit on that one ...

The main problem for me right now is this dulling or blurring of the tiff when opened, I just can't work with it when it loads into the bridge. The tiff was crearted in a software called photomatix, I then need to move it over to CS5 for the fine tweaking, trouble in photomatix the detail looks superb but it does not have the editingm functions of the CS5 bridge. As soon as I load it in CS5 it looks blurred...

Anyhow I will first proceed with your suggestion re. SRBG..  thanks

• 4. Re: Tiffs blurred when viewed in CS5 but clear in windows paint?
                HDR Rebel Level 1

Hi Noel

Thanks for helping..

Here are the image details..

Tiff

width 5201 pixels

height 29.31 pixels

resolution 300

For editing I am viewing at 12.5 percent in both programs....

CS5 shows this as blurred

Microsoft paint shows the image superbly which is most annoying lol...

Thanks again

• 5. Re: Tiffs blurred when viewed in CS5 but clear in windows paint?
                  conroy Level 5

[...] the 2 images  in my comparison are the exact same image [...] the only difference between the two is [...]

I see a slight contradiction in "exact same" and "difference between the two".

As soon as I load it in CS5 it looks blurred...

Unless you view at 100% zoom, the display is a resampled version of the image, and different apps may resample differently. If you zoom a single image (and I mean one particular file) to 100% in each app, does the image look sharper in one app than in another?

• 6. Re: Tiffs blurred when viewed in CS5 but clear in windows paint?
                    HDR Rebel Level 1

Sorry I should have said the 2 images were loaded from the Exact same file lol... 

Ahh ...  when I zoom "out" both images they are the "exact" same quality but obviously too large for me to work on, the only difference is the image colour which can hopefully be addressed...

So It seems then that when the images are zoomed "in" from 100% down to 12.5% photoshop is re-sampling differently than Microsoft paint....  this brings me to the question of can I change photoshops re-sampling rate to match microsoft paint? if so then you folks wiould have saved the day...

Extremly gratefule for the progress being made...

• 7. Re: Tiffs blurred when viewed in CS5 but clear in windows paint?
                      conroy Level 5

Something that will change the display resampling is to reduce the Cache Levels value to 1 in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance then relaunch Photoshop. You must relaunch Photoshop for it to take effect. I'm not saying that you'll like it, but it will be different.

Edit: By the way, a 12.5% zoom is a zoom out, not a zoom in. Less than 100% is zoom out. Greater than 100% is zoom in.

• 8. Re: Tiffs blurred when viewed in CS5 but clear in windows paint?
                        HDR Rebel Level 1

Hi Conroy...

"BRILLIANT" changing the cache to 1 makes all the difference..... now everything is crystal clear and looking great. Also thanks re pointing out my zoom error..

I would just like to thank "everyone" who helped me sort this out, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to help me on my way..

"Superb Forum"