10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2012 12:59 AM by Daz1761

Importing Footage

Daz1761

I've just started to import my own footage from a Canon HG10 into Premiere via the media browser.  Its probably something simple, but what I noticed after right clicking "import" and dragging it into a new sequence is that when I eject the camcorder all my media goes off line.  Is there a way I can get all my footage safe onto my hard drive before I manipulate it?  Or is it a case of exporting the raw footage immediately via Adobe Media Encoder?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Importing Footage
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Did you Copy over all of the files from your camera's card, or are you Importing directly from the camera?

When one Imports footage into a Project, PrPro ONLY links to the location of the physical files. If one HAS Copied all the files and folder structure to their computer, the link will lead there. If the files are Imported, directly from the camera, when its connection is closed, the link will be lost.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Importing Footage
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Is there a way I can get all my footage safe onto my hard drive before I manipulate it?

Yes, use Windows Explorer to copy the top level folder to the hard drive first, then use Media Browser to import from the hard drive.

• 3. Re: Importing Footage
              Alan Craven Level 4

You must import the media files from the camera memory to a hard drive  (NOT the system HDD) in your computer, and only then can they be imported properly into Premiere.

Your Canon should have come with some software to import the media to your computer - Pixela's transfer utility.

Using this makes sure that all the metadata is transferred and that Premiere can recognise your files properly.  If you simply copy the bare media files across, you are likely to run into problems, though I can do this with my very similar Canon HF S30 without problem.  Another advantage of using the Transfer Utility is that it only imports to your computer the new files it finds on the camera mempry

• 4. Re: Importing Footage
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Your Canon should have come with some software to import the media to your computer - Pixela's transfer utility.

As a general rule, it's better not to use any special software here.  Often times that software will alter the files in some way, and this causes issues with PP.

Just use Windows Explorer (or Finder) to do the job.

• 5. Re: Importing Footage
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Jim. Windows Explorer will do a byte-for-byte Copy, and not "mess with" the files in any way. I like to keep things simple and direct.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Importing Footage
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you copy the folder from camera to computer, be sure to pay attention to what Jim said about "top level"

Metadata contained in folder http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1015001?tstart=0

• 7. Re: Importing Footage
                      Daz1761 Level 1

Thanks for all the feedback!

Sorry, I should of mentioned I'm on a Mac running 10.7.  Going back to Bill's reply, yes my media from my camcorder is playing direct from it and not from a structured file list on my computer hard drive.  Iv'e tried opening the mounted image that the camcorders internal hard drive displays on the desktop, but theres no obvious movie file or files you could drag to a destination and copy over.  When I dabled a bit with Apple's Final Cut Studio, that application did physically copy over the media to my hard drive before you started editing, etc.

I will also look on the Canon Site but I am reluctant to install stuff like that as I have had problems with Canon and Nikon softwares.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Importing Footage
                        SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

You said "but theres no obvious movie file or files you could drag to a destination and copy over."

That is exactly why you should do what John said and copy the whole folder over to your hard drive from the memory card. Then in Premiere, use Media Browser to import and it has the intelligence to dig down and find the video and audio and properly bring them in

Jeff

• 9. Re: Importing Footage
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I will also look on the Canon Site but I am reluctant to install stuff like

Good, don't.  Just use Finder to copy the top level folder from the camera to the hard drive.  Then use PP's Media Browser to navigate to that folder and import form there.

• 10. Re: Importing Footage
                            Daz1761 Level 1

Ah I got it, sorry I must of miss read the earlier post.  Yes, I copied the top-level folder called "AVCHD" then used the media browser to import and manipulate.  Works a treat!

Thanks for all the feedback and help!