9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2012 8:21 AM by the_wine_snob

Version 10 - Transitions Trouble

Kathy321

I have Windows 7 Pro x64 - working on a video and transitions do not seem to work - Either crashes and closes the program, or when I click on transitions, the waiting circle just keeps on spinning.  I have checked the system requirements and troubleshooting and dowloaded and installed Quicktime 7 and made sure none of the videos are larger than 1000x750.  There are 19 clips included in the project and they are all 720x480.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Version 10 - Transitions Trouble
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Transitions require a lot of video processing horsepower, as the "gallery" of Transitions is animated. When one has such issues with Transitions, it is often due to the video driver, or less often, the power of the video card/chip, itself.

1. Let's start with getting details on your computer's video card/chip. What is the make, and model, of your video card/chip?
          2. Do you have dual-video cards/chips?
          3. What is the number and date of your video driver - the one currently installed?
          4. Is that the latest from nVidia, or ATI/AMD?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Version 10 - Transitions Trouble
            Kathy321 Level 1

Hi Bill, thanks for replying - here are the answers to your questions - hope this helps

1) AMD Radeon HD 7470M

2) No

3)Version 8.901.1.1000 and date is 05/11/2011

4)Are you referring to the video driver? If so, probably no

TIA

Kathy

• 3. Re: Version 10 - Transitions Trouble
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I would go to the AMD/ATI Web site, plug in your Radeon model, then your OS, download and install the latest Catalyst driver. Reboot and test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Version 10 - Transitions Trouble
                Kathy321 Level 1

AMD-Catalyst.jpgI attempted to update the video driver. I navigated to the website support.amd.com and plugged in the component category (notebook graphics), product line (Radeon HD Series), product model (Radeon HD 7xxxM Series) and operating system (Windows 7 x64. The only available download is 'AMD Mobility Radeon Driver Verification Tool. There are no drivers available.

I downloaded, installed and ran the Verification Tool and got the error message as attached. The message indicates that I should only be using video drivers from the laptop vendor (Dell). I checked Dell's support website and the laptop has the most current video driver available.

Now what do I do?

TIA

Kathy

• 5. Re: Version 10 - Transitions Trouble
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Because mfgrs., like Dell, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, and some others, re-wrap the video drivers for their particular versions of the OS, and the hardware, one is at the mercy of the mfgr. to get the latest driver version. Some, like Dell and HP are very good at doing that. Others, like Toshiba are not so good, unless Toshiba has changed their policy.

Not sure what else to recommend.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Version 10 - Transitions Trouble
                    nealeh Level 5

Kathy321 wrote:

The message indicates that I should only be using video drivers from the laptop vendor (Dell). I checked Dell's support website and the laptop has the most current video driver available.

This worked for a Toshiba user earlier this year:

1. remove the display adapter from Device Manager
                    2. reboot
                    3. cancel any automated driver install prompts
                    4. install the generic driver

Now the problem you will have is that you cannot obtain the generic driver from the AMD website. However, if you follow the first three steps, you can run the verification tool again and see if that is 'fooled' because of step 3.

Do create a system restore point before trying this.

[EDIT] This google search has links to several driver download sites for your card.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Version 10 - Transitions Trouble
                      Kathy321 Level 1

I opened the device manager and there are two adapters listed. The AMD Radeon and an Intel graphics adapter.

I uninstalled the AMD Radeon display adapter from the device manager including removing the files. I then removed the folder from 'Program Files' and then ran a registry cleaner followed by a reboot.

The interesting thing at this point is that transitions were working. Premier Elements did complain about the video driver but the feature was working.

I then installed the AMD video verification tool and ran it and got exactly the same message as I previously posted.

I downloaded the posted AMD Radeon display driver from the Dell support site and re-installed it.

Thinking that there may be an issue with the two display adapter entries in the device manager, I disabled the Intel display adapter and my screen went back to low-res. It seems that the Intel display adapter is necessary in order for the AMD Radeon driver to function.

At this point, I am at an impasse. I have tried all the suggestions

After all that, transitions are back to the way they were. When I click on them I get either infinite 'waiting' or a crash.

Any other ideas?

TIA

• 8. Re: Version 10 - Transitions Trouble
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, many computer mfgrs. are going the dual video route, as the Intel chips draw less power, giving an extended battery life. However, those dual-chip configurations, while working well for general computing, cause issues when using programs, like PrE, and later versions of Photoshop, because such programs must interface much more closely with the video driver, than say, a word processor, e-mail client, or Web browser. The majority of users never see a problem, because the programs that they use only need for the video driver to just get a display on the screen.

John T. Smith has compiled several links to threads on dual-chip systems, and if he does not beat me to the punch, I will locate that list of links and post it. There might be something in those, that will be helpful. Now, and this is from memory, the "fix" seems to be in disabling the Intel chip, but you have done that, with useless results.

More, when I find it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Version 10 - Transitions Trouble
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

See John T's Reply #4 in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4738538#4738538

There are links to other threads, that might be helfpufl.

Good luck,

Hunt