3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2012 7:33 AM by MW Design

Interactive PDFs: checkmark vs radio button

march67 Level 1

I am created an Interactive PDF fillable form for a client.

They want to use checkmarks for different options that user can choose - however they want the user to only be able to chose ONE of the options. Radio buttons work in this way (if one is selected, the others get deselected), but I cant seem to get checkboxes to work this way. The client is adamant that they do NOT want buttons, they want the appearance of the checkmarks.

My question is: Is there a way to make a checkbox function like a radio button?

• 1. Re: Interactive PDFs: checkmark vs radio button
          MW Design Level 4

You can use javascript to uncheck any checkboxes that are checked.

I use Acrobat and or LiveCycle to do forms in, though. I can look later if I can use ID. Should be able to, though.

But I gotta say. I probably would likely tell the client he needs to use the radio buttons due to their nature.

Mike

• 2. Re: Interactive PDFs: checkmark vs radio button
            Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

Is there a way to make a checkbox function like a radio button?

Actually you want a radio button, but have it appear as a checkbox. You can do this in Acrobat by changing the property of the button, selecting a [check] for the button style. You can kinda of accomplish this in Indesign, by creating a radio button, and change the [click on] appearance to a check mark graphic or glyph. The problem with this method is that regardless of the various appearance states, the button by default remains as a true radio. When viewed in Acrobat/Reader, you can select the button and have a check mark appear and it functions as a radio button, but the initial appearance is an unchecked circle button style.

• 3. Re: Interactive PDFs: checkmark vs radio button
              MW Design Level 4

Hmm. Learn something new everyday. It is something I have never been asked for.

In Acrobat, you can do this and the appearance is always a checkbox when set as Jeffrey mentions.

Untitled.jpg

Take care, Mike