4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2012 1:57 PM by BenjaminMarkus

I need help with animating a walk cycle

J-Fab

I have a person created and have a script that helps everything move right I am just having trouble getting the walk cycle to look and act properly. I want to use the loopOut expression to use this composition in another movie. Any help offerend would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: I need help with animating a walk cycle
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We need to know a little more about your walk cycle. Usually when you are trying to create a seamless loop you'll have to have the first keyframe and the last keyframe match, then you back up one frame, add an additional keyframe and then delete the first one. If you don't do that you'll have a spot in your loop where the animation pauses for a moment.

A screenshot of your project with the keyframes revealed would help along with a description of what isn't looking right. What isn't behaving properly?

• 2. Re: I need help with animating a walk cycle
            BenjaminMarkus Level 4

As Rick said, we need to know a lot more to help you. Please provide answers to the questions listed here: "FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?"

• 3. Re: I need help with animating a walk cycle
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Character animation takes time and patience. If it doesn't look right, start over or tweak it accordingly. There's no easy answers beyond that. If you can provide a sample clip of what you have currently, we might be able to advise, but that's as good as it gets.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: I need help with animating a walk cycle
                BenjaminMarkus Level 4

Mylenium is correct, I've animated quite a few walk cycles in various different techniques and all I can say is that each technique is so radically different it really just depends on how and what you're trying to achieve.  Not only that, the quality of the movement in the animation itself so much depends on the feeling and story you're trying to get across.  What looks wrong to someone, might look right to someone else.  You might want a totally weird walk cycle for your character becuase that might tell the audience something completely different about who and what they are.  Without seeing anything there's no possible way to advise.  In the meantime, I highly recommend looking at a hand-drawn film from 1978 called "Satiemania" by Zdenko Gasparovic.  The beginning is all walk cycles of different types and I think it could be inspiring for any character animator who's interested in animating walk cycles.