8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2013 5:20 AM by Georg_Maximus

Color picker does not pick correct colors

Georg_Maximus

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 with pre-installed PS Touch. Has anyone else noticed how the color picker doesn't always pick correct colors? In my case, it picks a slightly darker color than the source color. I wanted to upgrade to version 1.3 to resolve this, but cannot find any upgrade option anywhere. Please help!

• 1. Re: Color picker does not pick correct colors
          rtan73

I have the Galaxy Note 10.1 also. I don't seem to have that problem. I had both 1.2 and 1.3 versions. To update the version that came pre-installed you need to go so the Samsung App site and update it from there. There's a icon for the Samsung App Store installed on the Note.

• 2. Re: Color picker does not pick correct colors
            juliusmarx

I'm having the same problem, using the same tablet. All I know is that even version 1.4 hasn't corrected it yet.

Also, rtan73 is right. You'll find the newest version of pstouch for free on the samsung app store. It's the other app-shopping app that came with the tablet, besides the google play app.

• 3. Re: Color picker does not pick correct colors
              ibarrien Adobe Employee

Hi,

Could you please add a screenshot of the image you are trying to pick a color from to be able to reproduce?

It would also help if you add information if it's on a layer with e.g. blend mode or opacity?

Thanks,

Ignacio

• 4. Re: Color picker does not pick correct colors
                Georg_Maximus Level 1

I've had time to investigate the issue, and it turns out that the problem isn't with the color picker, but it looks like a bug that's associated to the brush settings. When paint or spray tool is selected and a very low flow percentage is set, the brush paints at darker hues than the one picked. The layer blend mode tested is set to Normal at 100% Opacity.

A picture wouldn't tell the story, I would have to have a video that shows how the brush color turns out darker with lower flow settings, and I haven't had the opportunity to install any stuff that captures video yet.

• 5. Re: Color picker does not pick correct colors
                  juliusmarx Level 1

Screenshot_2012-12-17-19-31-25.png

This screenshot is of a normal layer at opacity 100%. I first did a uniform color fill, then sampled the color. Every area of color, therefore, ought to be exactly the same, without any slight variation whatsoever.

The two brushstrokes to the left are done with the brush hardness set at 20%, with no pressure related controls, the left-most one set at 20%opacity, and the one to the right of it set to 100% opacity.

The two brushmarks in the middle are done with brush hardness set to 100%, again, no pressure related controls, the leftward one set at 20% opacity, the right at 100 %.

The two to the right are again done with 100% brush hardness, but this time, pressure related opacity control has been enabled. The left is at 20% opacity, the right at 100%.

As you can see, the center of each brushstroke seems to have thecorrect color. So I agree with georg_maximus. It appears that this issue is an opacity related one, rather than a color picker problem.

• 6. Re: Color picker does not pick correct colors
                    juliusmarx Level 1

Screenshot_2012-12-17-20-04-15.png

I forgot to mention, the brush spacing control was set at100% in all the previous examples.

Here is a screen shot where i set the brush at 100% opacity, 100% brush hardness, and no pressure related controls. The left stroke is at 20 % spacing, the middle is at 75 % spacing, and the right is at 100 % spacing.

• 7. Re: Color picker does not pick correct colors
                      juliusmarx Level 1

Georg_maximus: I just posted this on another thread, but I think I might have found a solution to the problem. We are both using the Galaxynote 10.1, so it ought to work for you too. Before you go into photoshop, go into your task manager, and there, open your RAM manager. Clear your RAM then enter photoshop. The problem will most likely have disappeared. It would probably be a good rule of thumb to clear your RAM each time you want to open photoshop.

• 8. Re: Color picker does not pick correct colors
                        Georg_Maximus Level 1

Thanks a lot, man! I have tried to reproduce the issue as you did, in order to post the results here, but find that it only occasionally occurs and thus I've not been able to give any examples. I'll definetively try to clear my RAM and see if it happens again.