4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2012 11:42 AM by Chris@Badgers

PE7 :paths have changed in Organiser window to non existant drive but everything else works

Chris@Badgers Level 1

I briefly changed around the usb ports and after that the paths of all media in the Organiser changed to E drive instead of F, and the thumbnails have gone. I have no E drive, though I briefly plugged in a camera card which maybe was E.I didn't acces it. The edit view is OK showing the paths as F and everything else seems OK. I tried relinking in the organiser view but says media already present. I have put the usb ports back as they were, saved and restarted but still the same. Chris

• 1. Re: PE7 :paths have changed in Organiser window to non existant drive but everything else works
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you on Windows, or Mac?

If Windows, then in your OS, just change the E:\ to F:\. To find out exactly how to do that in your version of Windows, go to Help, and type in "drive letter." This will permanently assign F:\ to that external HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE7 :paths have changed in Organiser window to non existant drive but everything else works
            Chris@Badgers Level 1

Bill

Thanks for very fast reply. Didn't seem to do it as no disc with label E was shown. It was all shown correctly.I changed F to E and back to F but Adobe still the same. Its just the path as shown when hovering over the box in the organiser window. If it cannot be changed can I ignore it and carry on. Everything else seems OK. I can still do edits etc

• 3. Re: PE7 :paths have changed in Organiser window to non existant drive but everything else works
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The Assets in a Project are linked to the PREL (the Project file) by Absolute Paths, so if any aspect of that Absolute Path changes, then the links will be broken.

When one Opens a Project w/ broken links, PrE should give you a dialog screen, stating, "Where is file ____ ?" From there, one can re-link to the "new" location for those Assets. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4598705#4598705

Also, see this article for more discussion on the PREL (Project) file, and the links to Assets: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3397716#3397716

If it is not possible to permanently assign the original (at the time of the Import) drive letter, then just re-linking will work fine, though you will run into an issue, if, due to the order that that external is plugged in/turned on, and whether there are other peripheral devices with drive letter.

When working with/from externals, I always set a permanent drive letter.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE7 :paths have changed in Organiser window to non existant drive but everything else works
                Chris@Badgers Level 1

Bill Thanks again for lots of info. I have learnt not to change things in the middle of the project. In fact I have nearly finished after a month. I am afraid still no progress on fixing the problem. I tried relinking by finding the file, selecting it to put the file name in the dialogue box and pressed Select. It complained that it didn't have the codec , even though it is jpeg. So assuming I was doing that right, it won't fix it. So I delected one still and then re imported it. It was still the same, showing no pic in the organiser boxes. However, it only complains about the missing file when I try to preview from the organiser by double clicking on the box.Not when I open the project. SO  I think I would like to just go ahead and finish the project. Virtually all the detailed edits in the Timeline are finished in the 4 sub projects. Its now down to combining the projects , adding menu markers etc and burning. Do you think all this would work as I have deadline to meet. At least we know why it happened, even if we cannot make it better again! Thanks again. Chris

PS Update  I opened a new project importing the same stills. Still no icon in boxes in organiser window and still showing path a E drive. It complained by opening the Where is window when I tried to drag from Organizer into Sceneline, but worked OK when dragging same pic from My project list of stills!!!

PPS even when I bring new files from F drive that I have just created (in PS) its still the same, no icon on Organiser but OK in Project and it all performs well. So maybe I will have to live with it and see what happens when I start a new project from scratch