10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2014 2:10 PM by bf_slafferty RSS

Using Illustrator Objects with InDesign Pics / Text

TeachJoy

Hi,

My students have decided to make their book assignment in the style of a comic book.  They are using InDesign to put it all together, but they want most of the boxes to have a Charcoal Brush style frame.  They also want to draw speech bubbles with the same stroke style - something not possible in InDesign. 

When they created the shapes with the strokes in Illustrator, they copied and pasted the image into InDesign.  The problem, however, is that InDesign won't let them place pictures or text inside those Illustrator objects.  The picture or text has to be in a separate frame layered on top.  This will creat all kinds of complications and slow down the workflow. 

How do we create objects with the stroke we want that will function as frames in InDesign?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Using Illustrator Objects with InDesign Pics / Text
          Youri Penders Community Member

InDesign supports three border styles: striped, dashed and dotted. There's no way to make a stroke style like you do in Illustrator.

There might be another sollution, give this a try:

1. Create a speech bubble in Illustrator and make sure the fill is empty
          2. Select the speech bubble and choose Object > Expand Appearance (this outlines the stroke, while keeping the appearance the way it is)
          3. Copy the selected speech bubble
          4. Paste it in InDesign
          5. See if this works for you

Good luck!

• 2. Re: Using Illustrator Objects with InDesign Pics / Text
            TeachJoy Community Member

Good thought - thanks for it, but I wasn't able to make it work.  I tried it with a lot of different object shapes.  Expand Appearance does create an outline of the stroke, but what seems to happen is that InDesign thinks  the object is the stroke itself and not the space inside the stroke.  When I try to place text or pictures inside the object, InDesign tries to put it inside the stroke itself and not in the space created by the stroke. 

• 3. Re: Using Illustrator Objects with InDesign Pics / Text
              Youri Penders Community Member

I get your point, but why are forcing text inside this frame?

I'd choose an empty textframe on top of the speech bubble, then group those two together.

I'm afraid your trying too hard for something that's just not going to work inside InDesign. Keep it simple, that's my suggestion

• 4. Re: Using Illustrator Objects with InDesign Pics / Text
                Larry G. Schneider MVP

You might try going to www.indiscripts.com and check out Marc's script Speeech.js. It was created for the purpose of making speech bubbles.

• 5. Re: Using Illustrator Objects with InDesign Pics / Text
                  HeyMikey Community Member

Thanks, Larry, for this link! The script is fun, and works as advertised! I'll use it every now and then (maybe if just to add bubbles to my layouts ). Two thumbs up from me!

Cheers!

-Mikey

• 6. Re: Using Illustrator Objects with InDesign Pics / Text

Thanks - the speech script is really cool and I will definitely be using it. 

It doesn't really get to the heart of the question though.  What I'm really looking for is a way of making a cool looking frame (with an artistic stroke) that can still function as a frame in InDesign.  It's true that for text it's not a big problem - I can make a second text box and just layer it.  However, it's more problematic for pictures.  Especially when the shape of the box is atypical.  The students have quite a few pictures that they want to put inside boxes with a brush stroke. 

I have a hard time believing that it's not possible given how amazing and powerful both programs are. 

Thanks again for the suggestions. 

• 7. Re: Using Illustrator Objects with InDesign Pics / Text
                      Michael Gianino Community Member

TeachJoy wrote:

I have a hard time believing that it's not possible given how amazing and powerful both programs are. 

Some of the features between InDesign and Illustrator overlap, but they are each made for a specific purpose, and that's why each has features that the other does not. It would be nice if one program could do both, and I'm sure Adobe has considered that, but in all of the upgrades they have made over the years, they have not combined the two. If you want them to, you could suggest it.

• 8. Re: Using Illustrator Objects with InDesign Pics / Text

I figured it out!

For anyone else out there who might be looking for the same effect, here's how you do it:

1) Create a cool shape with a cool stroke in Illustrator. 

Cool shape.png

2) The stroke can be any color, but make sure that the Fill is white (not transparent).

3) Copy and paste to InDesign. 

4) Once in ID, the object will apear as a Group.  Go to Object -> Ungroup.

5) Because the white centre of the object is filled with white, this will apear as one of the items in the group.  It will have it's own object frame. 

6) Go to File -> Place.  Choose a photo and place it in the frame of the white space.  You'll get a lovely effect that can be manipulated as per usual in ID!

Cool shape and Photo.png

• 9. Re: Using Illustrator Objects with InDesign Pics / Text
                          HeyMikey Community Member

Hey Teach!

That is awesome, and glad you figured it out! I was trying to solve your problem as well, using a stroked object in Illustrator, but the one part I was lacking was the fill to WHITE! And now it's obvious. Again, thanks for figuring that out.

Cheers!

-Mikey

• 10. Re: Using Illustrator Objects with InDesign Pics / Text
                            bf_slafferty

Hi Teach!

I am making my first ever forum post because this post is exactly what I have spent hours looking for how to do!

I am placing images on spreads in a scrapbook like fashion, with each image at different dimensions, though I wanted the same border on each image which I thought was simple enough but I could not create what I wanted with InDesign. Your solution worked perfectly, the only downside being that I have to create the shape to the exact dimensions I need in Illustrator before copying it into InDesign, but that's a small price to pay for the desired effect.

Thank you for posting your solution!