4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2012 11:52 AM by Frustrated in AZ

Digital Editions

tree5577

I've used digital editions for over a year without any problems.  Now, each time I attempt to move downloaded books to my e-reader, I'm told to authorize the computer.  After authorizing, I continue with the download and the books show on my reader.  When I attempt to open the books, they show as INVALID FORMAT.  Should I un-install digital and then re-install, or is there a secret to making it work properly?

• 1. Re: Digital Editions
          Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Adobe Digital Editions forum.

• 2. Re: Digital Editions
            Frustrated in AZ Level 4

The original question was:

"I've used digital editions for over a year without any problems.  Now,

each time I attempt to move downloaded books to my e-reader, I'm told to

authorize the computer.  After authorizing, I continue with the download

and the books show on my reader.  When I attempt to open the books, they

show as INVALID FORMAT.  Should I un-install digital and then re-install,

or is there a secret to making it work properly?"

There's some information missing.  What type of computer operating system

are you using (Windows or Mac)?  What version of ADE are you using (1.7 or

2)?  What kind of ereader are you using?  Where are you downloading the

ebooks from?

The answers make a big difference in trying to help you sort out what's

happening.

=============

• 3. Re: Digital Editions
              tree5577 Level 1

OK - Here's what you're asking: 

Windows 7 is my OS.

Not sure of ADE version - installed it 8/2011.  Guess which version was in use then is what I have

The reader is Aluretek - using it over a year with no problem.

Downloading from library, to computer, to ADE, to reader.

As I stated, been doing it with no problem until the last month or so.  Now I keep getting the re-auth note and then the invalid format on the reader.

• 4. Re: Digital Editions
                Frustrated in AZ Level 4

AHA!  My light bulb went on!  Durned thing - I thought it had burned out....

First, I don't think you need to do anything with ADE.  It appears that

your issues are with the Aluratek.

The kind of issue you're having comes along some times when the ereader

itself loses its mind.  That can happen when the battery goes down so far

that it forgets where it is and who it's attached to.  So, as a first step,

try doing a physical reset on the ereader.  That could resolve the issue of

multiple authorizations.

If the 'invalid format' message continues, then it's possible that the

library you downloaded the ebook from may have done a software upgrade that

has changed the format of the ebook.  You can test that by trying to read

the ebook with ADE.  If it works in ADE, then that's not the issue.

OR:

When you do the transfers, make sure that you close ADE at the end of them,

but don't disconnect the Aluratek until it displays a message saying it's

finished processing the new content.  Many times, users just pull the plug,

and the ereader has garbage on it instead of an ebook, and it can't open

the ebook....

Hope this helps!

=============