19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2012 7:51 PM by Jon Chappell

Making a split clip into one clip again

dkaplowitz Level 1

Hello -

In most editing applications one can split a clip into 2, and the application shows that those 2 resulting clips are continuous in time.

Premiere seems to not do this. Is there a way to set Premiere to display when 2 clips are continuous in time?

And is there a way to "heal" the separation (ProTools terminology) or "join" clips whatever terminology it is?!

thanks in advance

david

• 1. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
          Jim_Simon Level 8

You can't do either with PP.  The best you can do is to delete the second half of the clip and drag the first half over to fill the space.

• 2. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
            dkaplowitz Level 1

thanks for the reply - wow how lame! i'll submit a feature request.

cheers

• 3. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
              reverb Level 1

yeah, I got used to "join through edit" in FCP also.

• 5. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, the Cut in Clips do not affect the original footage, and as Jim points out, do not really affect the proxy Clip(s) on the Timeline. The Cut just allows one to do several additional editing operations. Deleting one of those "sub-clips*" and dragging the other to its original Duration is just like "healing" the Cut.

Good luck,

Hunt

* the term "sub-clips" is in quotations, so as to not confuse them with Sub-Clips, and official term for something similar, but with differences. It is just to associate a term with the resulting Clip segments, after making a Cut.

• 6. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
                  dkaplowitz Level 1

hmm, it's not "just like" it at all really - it's more steps and requires a knowledge or marking of the clip's original duration. And it's not just that there's no "heal" or "join" function, it's that there's no visual indication that the 2 clips are continuous - every editing application I've ever used whether it's audio or video (FCP, Avid, ProTools) shows this - it's unreal to me that it's not there in Premiere, but anyway yes I will make a feature request.

• 7. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

requires a knowledge or marking of the clip's original duration.

Why?  If you delete the second half, you are left with a blank spot that's easily filled by dragging.

Also, I'm curious why 'healing' a split clip in so important to so many former FCP editors.  It doesn't change the movie any.  (And why are you making so many false cuts in the first place?)

• 8. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
                      shooternz Level 6

FCP = false cut pro

• 9. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
                        Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

Jim Simon wrote:

Why?  If you delete the second half, you are left with a black spot that's easily filled by dragging.

Also, I'm curious why 'healing' a split clip in so important to so many former FCP editors.  It doesn't change the movie any.  (And why are you making so many false cuts in the first place?)

Fair questions.  For me the "thru edit" indicators are more important than being able to "heal" a clip (though I like that too)

A visual indication that "two" clips are really one is extremely important in multicam editing.  Often, after editing a piece and finessing the camera angles, it's easy to "goof" and change two adjacent "cuts' into the same angle.  Through-edit markers let you see that instantly.

I honestly never realized how much I used thru-edit markers in FCP until I found them missing in Premiere.

While spilt clips don't change the movie any, they *do* clutter up the timeline something fierce.  Without being able to instantly identify them it takes forever to track each one down, delete half the clip and drag the other half out.  And dragging out media to an exact mark in the timeline isn't an exact science.

At the very least, through-edit markers are needed.  Premiere itself *must* know that the "two" clips are contiguous.  Why is it keeping that information to itself?

• 10. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
                          shooternz Level 6

Why are so many clips getting split in the first place?

Is that an indication of a lot of use of the Razor Tool maybe?

• 11. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
                            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

They clutter up the timeline?  Seriously? So what?

I can understand if you want to go back and use Warp Stabilization, but other than that one effect, what difference does it make if you have a clip with two cuts or fifty cuts? Maybe changing the speed of a clip might be another reason, I suppose.

Obviously, some of us who have lived without this feature all this time are not tuly understanding the point of healing a cut.

• 12. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
                              shooternz Level 6

I would use it if it were available for the rare case that I end up with a split clip.

I do like a "tidy timeline" for many reasons.

• 13. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Yes, I get that. Tidy is nice. Which is why I use nested sequences to help limit clutter.

• 14. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
                                  dkaplowitz Level 1

Editors! I didn't start this post to be berated for the way I edit! I'm just wanting a sensible feature which is standard in MANY editing applications (not just Final Cut, as I've already mentioned. Avid, ProTools, Soundtrack to name a few).

Forums are great and I've gotten a lot out of them over the years but they also seem to sometimes be an invitation for some users to go on attack, show off their knowledge, berate other users for how they do things, and attack competing products.

Simply unnecessary.

It's not helpful to trash FCP here. For me, Premiere is great (mostly), but as a longtime user of many different editing applications across audio and video, there are certain features which help ME to work the way I want to. Please note the emphasis on ME. This particular feature however, because it's been a standard feature in many applications for many years, isn't particular to just me.

Jim Simon:

re: "Why?  If you delete the second half, you are left with a black spot that's easily filled by dragging."

Yes but it's still at least 2 steps. More if the "black spot" isn't marked in some way at the other end (like another clip being there, creating a marker or an in/out point). And dragging requires dragging to somewhere. So even if it's apparent, it does in fact require knowledge.

re: "It doesn't change the movie any."

True, but irrelevant. Like I said, I'm talking about a feature that helps me to edit the way I (and lots of other people) want to.

Allyn:

"For me the "thru edit" indicators are more important than being able to "heal" a clip (though I like that too)"

Agreed. The fact that there's no indication of continuous clips is the first problem, and pretty major for the way I like to work.

shooternz

re: "Why are so many clips getting split in the first place?"

Well, editing involves a lot of, um, edits. If I must explain, I'll just give one example. I have a 30 min clip containing an interview. As I go through, I like to create an edit point at the end of one answer and before the interviewer asks the next question. Of course there are lots of other ways to do this, but this is what I've become accustomed to. If, for example, after I've done this, I realise that I need one clip to run into the next one, i.e. that I need the next bit of video for my edit, then joining the 2 clips easily is something I'd like to be able to do.

Steven Gotz:

re: "Obviously, some of us who have lived without this feature all this time are not truly understanding the point of healing a cut."

Sorry but that doesn't matter. As I've outlined above, it does in fact matter to a whole bunch of us. My post was asking initially if it's POSSIBLE to do what I asked, and when it became apparent that it isn't, I said that I would make a feature request, which I've done. My "how lame" comment came out of frustration and was probably out of order, sorry about that.

• 15. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
                                    Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

Nested clips are okay for somethings but come with a range of problems all their own.

Now that I'm awake I've thought of some other times that seeing thru-edits are vital to me.

When I'm insert editing PowerPoint slides or other cutaway still I usually blade the timeline where I want the insert to start and stop, then select the range and fit-to-fill on a higher track.  Not being able to join these thru-edits afterwards results in a messy track.

Why am I so concerned about a messy track?  If I can see and join thru-edits then I know where I've removed content.  I can also immediately see if I've stayed on one camera angle for a long time.  This is really important in longer (hour+) pieces where you want to give the audience some sort of relief.  Sure... I could watch the whole thing but frankly, I want to have a life.

That "lovely" much touted "feature" of Premiere Multicam to end every live edit on the first camera angle (whether you wanted it or not) is at least not totally unuseable IF you can see the flash frame.  Thru-edit markers would clearly show where these are and where they are not.

Oh yeah... my BIGGIE... re-framing shots in post after edit.  Yeah.. this one really bit me in the bum a few weeks ago.  I was outputting HD as slightly-less-high HD because I wanted to reframe some shots.  But... if I reframed a shot that was the same angle as the following shot, of course, the re-framing wouldn't carryover.  It took **forever** to identify all of these instances and fix them.  It would have taken less than no time at all if I could have seen and joined all the adjacent clips BEFORE I re-framed them.  Basically ANY motion attribute gets super complicated if you can't see your thru-edits.

• 16. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

dragging out media to an exact mark in the timeline isn't an exact science.

With Snap on, it kind of is.

• 17. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Editors! I didn't start this post to be berated for the way I edit! I'm just wanting a sensible feature which is standard in MANY editing applications

Yes but, adding that feature takes resources that aren't unlimited.  I'm asking because I wonder if Adobe's time is better spent on other features.  So far I'm not convinced it isn't.  (Not that I have any control over that sort of thing.)

• 18. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

if the "black spot" isn't marked in some way at the other end (like another clip being there, creating a marker or an in/out point). And dragging requires dragging to somewhere. So even if it's apparent, it does in fact require knowledge.

Or just the CTI placed there.  More steps?  Maybe.  More knowledge?  Nah.

• 19. Re: Making a split clip into one clip again
                                            Jon Chappell Level 3

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

They clutter up the timeline?  Seriously? So what?

I can understand if you want to go back and use Warp Stabilization, but other than that one effect, what difference does it make if you have a clip with two cuts or fifty cuts? Maybe changing the speed of a clip might be another reason, I suppose.

Obviously, some of us who have lived without this feature all this time are not tuly understanding the point of healing a cut.

Sending the colorist (or whoever is next in the chain) an EDL or XML with loads of through-edits in it is a great way to make them hate you.