5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2012 3:06 PM by Folobo

Cut lines with a shape

Folobo Level 1

Hi and sorry for this basic question.

I want trim a group of lines with a shape and i do not understand how to do.

What is the best solution? See the attachment below.

(Note: i do not want paste into a shape).

Many thanks.

f

Screen Shot 2012-11-13 at 4.01.57 PM.png

• 1. Re: Cut lines with a shape
          HeyMikey Level 3

Hi Folobo,

If you have Illustrator, make your lines and shape there, select your lines, choose "Make Compound Path", select your lines and shape, and in the Pathfinder Panel, choose "Divide". Once that's done, simply copy/paste your new trimmed lines into InDesign. Hope this helps...

Cheers!

-Mikey

• 2. Re: Cut lines with a shape
            Youri Penders

I'm afraid you will have to paste anyway…

As far as I know there is no Clipping Mask in InDesign.

May I ask why you do not want to paste into a shape?

• 3. Re: Cut lines with a shape
              Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

You can trick Indesign's Pathfinder function into creating this shape. Instead of using strokes, you will have to use a frame. And place frames in the negative space. Then you can use Pathfinder > Subtract

trim-cut.png

• 4. Re: Cut lines with a shape
                Folobo Level 1

First: really many thanks Mikey! I do not understand why this not work also in Indesign!

Anyway the result is like this below. And the shape perimeter is very difficult to remove!

For this basic vector graphic i was thinking that Illustrator and InDesign could do the work easy! Thanks!

shape-perimeter.jpg

• 5. Re: Cut lines with a shape
                  Folobo Level 1

Many thanks Jeffrey, your solution is very interesting.

I understand that shape go with shape.

I can not cut a path/stroke with a shape in indesign (and also in illustrator). This is very strange! 

@Youri > May I ask why you do not want to paste into a shape? 

In my case is still the best solution. I try to avoid it because --paste into-- is something like --clipping mask-- in illustrator. When I have many paths the indesign file become heavy!