16 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2014 6:05 AM by A.T. Romano RSS

Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11

dudsmith1

I just purchased Premiere 11, and it won't import an .avi xvid file. The codec is installed as reported by G-Spot. And the file imports to Win Movie Maker just fine. Any known problems here?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11
          the_wine_snob Community Member

Unfortunately, PrE cannot edit with all CODEC's, and especially the delivery-only CODEC's, like Xvid and DivX.

Some users have had luck with Importing and editing the very latest versions of those CODEC's, in the latest versions of PrE, but that is uncommon. Usually, the file will not Import, but if it does, then there is usually Audio with no Video, or the Video is so bad, as to not be useful.

For more info on CODEC's in general, see this FAQ Entry: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811?tstart=0

For Xvid, or DivX, I convert to DV-AVI, and then Import that converted file for editing. In my case, I use an older shareware program, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7. There are now newer versions of DMC.

Some users report that both CyberLink's PowerDirector and Magix MovieEdit Pro do a better job with the Xvid and DivX CODEC's, but neither is perfect.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11
            dudsmith1 Community Member

Thank you.  It is especially good to know about recommended converters.

Dud

• 3. Re: Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11
              bakerchew

you can also refer to video converter here. I use it in a long while to convert avi files and some other movie files, the new update has be optimised to take advantage of more modern technology like multi-core CPU control functions, multi-threading and batch processing, etc.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Regards

Chew.

• 4. Re: Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11
                John T Smith MVP

You could also go to the codec owner at http://www.xvid.com/ to see what is recommended

• 5. Re: Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11
                  Robert/OZ

Bill Hunt said,

Some users report that both CyberLink's PowerDirector and Magix MovieEdit Pro do a better job with the Xvid and DivX CODEC's, but neither is perfect.

Having used PowerDirector for many years (don't use it any more, too many issues) I can confirm that only the 32 bit version can edit with the DivX codecs, neither DivX or CyberLink have been able to offer a 64 bit version.

Format Factory is a good free video converter, just be careful installing and make sure you do NOT install the Ask Toolbar when asked, you will regret it if you allow it to be installed

Robert

• 6. Re: Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11
                    the_wine_snob Community Member

Yes. I have an older version of PowerDirector, and have used it for DivX & Xvid, but found it a bit "clunky" for me, so just converted that material to DV-AVI Type II's, for use in Premiere. Also, my older Magix MovieEdit Pro could handle those two CODEC's, though not quite so well as PowerDirector did, plus there is poor support for the Magix programs, IMHO.

I have heard that Sony's Vegas does an OK job with DivX & Xvid, but have never owned any version of their NLE's, so cannot comment directly.

For my conversions, I have been happy with an older shareware program, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7. I have not upgraded to their new versions, as upon retirement, I do not have much need for conversions nowadays - I just edit what I shoot. Once, clients would hand me the darnest formats/CODEC's, and DMC 2.7 did all that I needed, and would batch convert several different CODEC's to DV-AVI, quite quickly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11
                      nitrostreet Community Member

I have used Premiere Elements 11 for a few years and never had any problems with codecs, it ran .avi files fine, but then my hard drive started sending failure eminent warnings so I saved everything I could (for some reason I was never able to save a backup with my old system), I got a new hard drive, loaded a clean new Windows 7 install and built my system from there.

When I got to the Premiere Elements 11 and used it I noticed it came up with the "no codec for .avi" message that I had never seen before and would not play the same .avi movies that I had played with it hundreds of times before.

I was a little baffled so I went back and installed my old Premiere Elements 8 that I used to use and same codec message came up.

I remembered that I had some other video players installed on my old system so I went back and installed the old players one by one.

1. Cyberlink PowerDVD from the original Dell install didn't fix the codec problem.....

2. I had the "REAL" player on my old system so I installed it next and it didn't fix the codec problem....(The new "REAL" player live is a little to aggressive for me so I uninstalled it when it didn't fix my problem)

3. I had Quicktime installed so I installed it again and BINGO, my Premiere Elements 11 now plays .avi files like it used to.

I won't guarantee it will work for everyone but the basic Quicktime player is free so it won't hurt to try it (And it definitely worked for me)

• 8. Re: Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11
                        A.T. Romano Community Member

nitrostreet

I find your QuickTime uninstall/reinstall fix for Premere Elements .avi issue highly unusual.

Your post 7 in this older thread appears to be a duplicate of what you tacked on to another older thread today.

I have made more comments on your observations in that other thread.

Where to get codecs for Premiere Elements?

ATR

• 9. Re: Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11
                          dizzy8888

Quicktime fix worked for me too.

• 10. Re: Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11

dizzy8888

What specifically did Quicktime fix "fix" and on what version of Premiere Elements running on what computer operating system?

QuickTime is a Premiere Elements requirement. It like Premiere Elements is dependent on being used from a User Account with Administrative Privileges.

Absence of QuickTime installation will result in the absence of QuickTime presets in the sharing section of Premiere Elements and often problems in launching the program.

Have you read all of the thread that we are in now as well as nitrostreet's post and the rest of the Q&A in the following Adobe Premiere Elements Forum thread

Where to get codecs for Premiere Elements?

ATR

• 11. Re: Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11
                              MaryBertke

Installing Quicktime got rid of the "lack of Codec" issue for me, too.  You do have to close and reopen Elements.

• 12. Re: Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11

MaryBertke

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What are you telling us, that the installation of QuickTime on your computer allowed you to edit and work successfully with Xvid.avi

in Premiere Elements or are you saying something else?

What video format were you working with in Premiere Elements when you discovered the Premiere Elements requirement for QuickTime installation on the same computer as Premiere Elements?

This is a 2 years old thread that has had other postings to it besides those of the originator of thread dudsmith1.

Our details in context with your issue would be very helpful.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11
                                  MaryBertke Community Member

Premiere Elements 10 - on my old computer (which, as I recall, has QT) allowed me to import AVI clips.  On the new (well, now-year-old) computer, it gave me a message that the necessary codec wasn't installed.  Installed Quicktime, can now import and edit AVI clips again.

• 14. Re: Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11

MaryBertke

Thanks for the follow up information.

All .avi are not created equal. Each can have a different video compression and audio compression.

In your case, what kind of .avi files were you working with.

DV.avi

MotionJPEG.avi

Xvid.avi

DviX.avi

or something else? That would be highly important information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11
                                      MaryBertke Community Member

Errr.... the kind taken by a Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS Digital Elph.  I know it has a .avi on the end, that's it.  Sorry!

• 16. Re: Can't Import .avi xvid file with Premiere Elements 11

MaryBertke

Thank you for replying.

With the name of your camera, you gave us the information asked about.

From what I have read, your camera gave you video with MotionJPEG.avi with WAVE (monoaural) sound (either 640 x 480 @ 30 frames per second or 320 x 240 @ 30 frames per second.

The no codec message that you were getting was likely due to a known Premiere Elements MotionJPEG codec issue and not the absence of QuickTime which is a requirement. I have never heard of QuickTime correcting the type of Premiere Elements issue that you experienced. The typical solutions for the Premiere Elements MotionJPEG codec issue include

a. install a utility that came with the camera and which will supply the MotionJPEG codec

b. purchase, download and install a MotionJPEG codec from an online company

c. with one of the converter (ex. MPEG Streamclip, Prism Converter, etc), convert the MotionJPEG.avi to another format with which Premiere Elements does not have an issue, such as DV.avi.

In the case of the Premiere Elements MotionJPEG issue, it is not clear if the MotionJPEG codec is missing or just not available to Premiere Elements.

Best wishes

ATR