No fusion method in raytracing mode

LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

hello guys

little problem with AE

i created an earth with cloud etc

but if i set from classic 3d to raytracing mode

i can't set the cloud level to screen fusion mode

the fusion mode is totally disabled

with ray i can give deepness to the letters but i lost fusion method...

any solution?

• 1. Re: No fusion method in raytracing mode
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Prerender the text.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: No fusion method in raytracing mode
            LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

genius XD why i don't think to this?

• 3. Re: No fusion method in raytracing mode
              LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

forget to tell one thing

ive animated the text that become slowly less "deeper" i mean is a circle horizontal so the text run around the world but when is  back the world logically is invisible, if i prerender it this effect will be lost, like the prerendered video will be only in 2d without deepness...

• 4. Re: No fusion method in raytracing mode
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Nah, just use a mask on a couple of instances of the prerendered text so you can plu the sphere in the center.  Easy as pie.

You fake it, see?  It isn't real-live 3D at all, but it LOOKS like real-live 3D.  AE people use the trick all the time, and it's been around for 15 years or more.

• 5. Re: No fusion method in raytracing mode
                  LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

don't get the part of the mask :S ho can i put a mask in deepness?

i mean the text came from a corner around the world how can i hide the text when is behind the world and make it visible while come out from the corner and position itself behind the earth?

• 6. Re: No fusion method in raytracing mode
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

Well, you don't HAVE to use a mask, you can use the sphere layer itself as a track matte.  One instance eliminates the part of the animation you don't want to see behind the sphere.  Another instance eliminates the part you don't want to see in front of the sphere.  In between the two, you put a third instance of the sphere.

This trick has been around for fifteen years or more.  You really need to do some studying.

• 7. Re: No fusion method in raytracing mode
                      LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

problem is: time to study -1 XD time for myself and my girl just 1 XD so i just hope i can learn some basic things just "messing" with them

• 8. Re: No fusion method in raytracing mode
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> i just hope i can learn some basic things just "messing" with them

That is not a good approach for learning After Effects (or any complex, professional software).

Start here to learn After Effects: http://adobe.ly/bjBT3P

• 9. Re: No fusion method in raytracing mode
                          LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

dave can you just explain me this part? i really don't knwo how to replicate this effect D:

• 10. Re: No fusion method in raytracing mode
                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

can you just explain me this part? i really don't knwo how to replicate this effect D:

Oh, you want me to hold your hand?  You want me to do the thinking for you?  The 2-D layer-only, no-brainer method?  Okay, I'll hold your hand:

Footage needed:

1. Sphere: make sure it has transparency where it should have transparency.
                            2. Animated 3D Text: make sure it has transparency where it should have transparency.
                            3. a Background layer

I presume you know what the term "footage" means.

Procedure:

1. Make your main comp in the resolution and frame rate desired.  Close this comp for now.
                            2. Duplicate this main comp TWICE.  Name the duplicated comps "Sphere" and "Animated Text".
                            3. Open the Sphere comp.  Add the Sphere footage to it.  Close the comp.
                            4. Open the Animated Text comp.  Add the animated test footage to it.  Close the comp.
                            5. Open the Main comp.  Add the following layers to it, from bottom to top: background footage, Animated Text comp, Sphere comp, Sphere comp, Animated Text comp, Sphere comp.
                            6. Turn the bottom 4 layers in the main Comp OFF: click on each layer's eyeball icon.  This only leaves you with Layer 1 (Sphere) and Layer 2 (Animated Text) turned on.
                            7. Highlight Layer 2 (Animated Text).  Go to the TrkMat column and select Alpha Matte.  Poof!  The sphere disappears, and you only see the portion of the text within the area of the sphere.
                            8. Keeping Layer 2 highlighted, select the Pen tool to create a mask around the portions of the animated text that should be BEHIND THE SPHERE.  Set this mask's mode to Subtract.  You now only see the text that should be seen in front of the sphere.  Turn off this layer for now.
                            9. Turn on and highlight Layer 5 (Animated Text).  Go to the TrkMat column and select Alpha Inverted Matte.  Poof!  You now only see the portion of text that appears beyond the boundaries of the sphere.
                            10. Turn on layers 6 (Background), 3 (Sphere)  and 2 (Animated Text).  Your effect is now complete.  Adjust the mask on layer 2 if necessary.

There.  I've now held your hand throughought the process, and we've only used 2D layers.

Now, is there anything else I can do for you?  Tuck you in for a nap?  Get you some nice milk and cookies?  Bring you a nice, warm blanky and hot cocoa so you you can WASTE TIME SNUGGLING WITH YOUR GIRLFRIEND INSTEAD OF STUDYING AFTER EFFECTS?

Bye!

• 11. Re: No fusion method in raytracing mode
                              LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

hey hey why so aggressive? i just don't have the time to study litterally, i work as you, maybe you have time to study, i dont have this time, so im just asking you an hand, a guide to reach my objective, you write me here the guide: thank you, why now are you starting things like: hold your hand etc etc, i have few time for me, so i spend more time with GF, and few on PC unfortunately i don't have time for all my passion

anyway thank you

• 12. Re: No fusion method in raytracing mode
                                LeeXiaoLoong Level 1

and just last thing

i want to use raytrace to extrude the text, not just 2d where the text is just a paper...

• 13. Re: No fusion method in raytracing mode
                                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

I just slapped my hand to my forehead and dragged it down my face.

You might recall I wrote earlier that you should prerender the ray-traced 3D text.  Duh.