5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2012 8:13 AM by MariaClaudiaSalerno

Orientation about font size

MariaClaudiaSalerno

Hi:

This is my first post in this forum. I have this doubt. I start to create my first magazine, and I want to know what it's the right font size, or the most recomended size. When I add a text frame, I choose Arial at 10pt size. I have a 17'' laptop with 1366x768 and when I create a PDF I can read normally, but I wonder if this font size is the appropriated for a regular magazine. By the way I use InDesign CS5 and Windows Vista Home Premium 64bits.

Would you be good enough to suggest me a regular font size?

That's all.

Please, sorry about my grammar.

Regards from Lima, Perú

• 1. Re: Orientation about font size
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Welcome to the forum, and your grammar is fine.

Since this didn't generate a lot of immediate response I guess I'll start. First, font size is a relative thing. Point size is not as important, for example, as the x-height  and overall size of the glyphs in the font, and some fonts require more leading than others to be readable. Many people also feel that serif fonts are easier to read than sans-serif, and it seems unlikle that you would want to set a lot of type in a script or blackletter face.

The other big question you need to answer for yourself is who is the target audience? Younger users have better eysight and can easily read smaller type. Old folks like me find slightly larger sizes easier to deal with.  Will this magazine be printed or viewed on a screen (where users can zoom in or out)?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Orientation about font size
            ryan.marchese Level 1

Hi Maria,

As Peter mentioned, font sizes (and fonts in general) are very relative. Having worked in publications and signage, myself, here are a few recommendations that I would have:

- 11pt is usually a good starting point for something like a magazine (12pt can seem slightly too big, and 10pt can get a bit small - depending on the font)

- Serif fonts are better for reading in a printed format (in general)

- Sans-serif are better for reading in a digital format (in general)

Fonts are really part of a much larger discussion (I've been a designer for 10 years and still learn something new about fonts almost every week). If you have any other questions or need more in-depth advice, just keep letting us know.

• 3. Re: Orientation about font size
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

In addition to the above,

> when I create a PDF I can read normally, but I wonder if this font size is the appropriated for a regular magazine.

The same goes when you create a business card sized document and use 1.5 pt small text. Your PDF viewer enlarges the document, irrespective of your system resolution or physical dimensions.

Do NOT judge font size on your screen. Instead, print out a hard copy at 100% size (a real actual physical size, quite likely to be different from your screen display at "actual size" or "100%").

• 4. Re: Orientation about font size
                MW Design Level 4

Hello MariaClaudiaSalerno,

In addition to the above, I would recommend you obtain a clear plastic typesetter's ruler and use it to measure the type sizes of magazines you find easy to read. Measure the body copy size(s), headings, sidebar text, etc. This will give you a bit more clear path to designing something that appeals to a broad amount of folks because most all mainstream magazines have gone through all this long before we all started.

Take care, Mike

• 5. Re: Orientation about font size
                  MariaClaudiaSalerno Level 1

Thanks to everybody! Your comments have been very helpful to me. I have now a clearest view about this matter.

Regards from Lima, Perú