15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2012 3:53 PM by AndyDriscoll

Why is CS5 refusing to load swatches?

AndyDriscoll

For the life of me, I cannot figure why CS5 (7.0.4.) (Mac OSX10.7.5) color swatches refuse to open from the drop-down menu in the swatch panel, and even when I try "open all documents" I get an error message saying my file is either corrupt or something. I've tried exporting to IDML and re-opening as a new document. Tried twice. Failed. Then, as a workaround, opened a new color and loaded all (uncoated) swatches (by selecting all in the color window, then hitting OK). But ID sees these as hundreds of spot colors as actually occupying the document, thus declinging to perform certain rendering functions.

Why can I not simply open/load any swatch file into an existing document? As a side note, some of the extensions loading into the app on opening do NOT carry the 7.0.4 version number, but 7.0.0. Help?

• 1. Re: Why is CS5 refusing to load swatches?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What sort of files are you trying to open?

• 2. Re: Why is CS5 refusing to load swatches?
            AndyDriscoll Level 1

I was trying to "Load Swatches" from the Options drop-down menu while creating a document.

• 3. Re: Why is CS5 refusing to load swatches?

Right, I get that, but there are at least tow options to choose from, loading from another ID file or loading a .ase file. You should also note that not all swatch types are supported in ID that might be in a .ase file.

• 4. Re: Why is CS5 refusing to load swatches?
                AndyDriscoll Level 1

.ase? Pardon my ognorance. Is than an extension file? They're not just sitting in a folder inside my app folder. And, as I mentioned above, when I was able to see an extension listing, the color swatch extension shown is still marked as a ID 7.0.0 version, not the 7.0.4 that mark most of the other extensions or the ID app itself. Frankly, I haven't been using ID all that much in recent years, but, when I see an options menu choice saying "Load Swatches..." and they're grayed out, I wonder why, and when I click on "(Open) all documents" in the dialologu, I don't like seeing an error message that suggests a brand new document into which I'm trying to open the swatches from which I want to choose some spot colors (or any colors) is corrupt or not in the proper format or some such. I haven't a bunch of other documents with those color choices having been previously loaded, but, even if I knew where to find one, I expect "Load Swatches..." to open any swatch file I choose. Shouldn't I be able to do this?

• 5. Re: Why is CS5 refusing to load swatches?
                  AndyDriscoll Level 1

Also, thanks for answering these questions. I'm baffled after once spending years using this and Pagemaker. :-)

• 6. Re: Why is CS5 refusing to load swatches?
                    HeyMikey Level 3

Hi Andy,

I'm confused about what you're trying to do. In your InDesign document, you open the Swatches panel, and in the Options menu, click on "New Color Swatch" and a dialogue will appear with a Color Mode pull-down that lets you choose from an assortment of libraries (Pantone, HKS, etc.). Just choose one of those and you're good to go.

-Mikey

• 7. Re: Why is CS5 refusing to load swatches?

.ase is an Adobe Swatch Exchange file and it's typically what you get when selecting swatches and using the Save Swatches command.

I'm still not quite sure what it is you are trying to load, so maybe you can walk me through step by step through the whole sequence, and either describe what you see or add some screen shots. You can add those to a post using the camera icon on the web page like this:

CameraIcon.png

I wouldn't worry too much about component files being version 7.0.0 instead of 7.0.4. Not every piece of ID gets rewritten when a patch is issued.

Are you saying the Load Swatches command itself is grayed out, or the files in the dialog? As I mentioned above, the only types of files from which you can load swatches are other InDesign files (which should include, I think .indt, .inx and .idml as well as .indd files), i.e. files that InDesing knows how to open for editing, and the .ase swatch files.

Are you perhaps trying to add a swatch from a color library like the Pantone collections?

• 8. Re: Why is CS5 refusing to load swatches?
                        AndyDriscoll Level 1

Thanks, Mikey. What I've been trying to do is simply get an affirmative reply from the swatches files when I click on "Load Swatches..." With swatches loaded into the color pallet, I can then assign colors from any swatch file I've loaded into the document.

If I'm not in error here, if I simply open a New Swatch, then select - as I have - all of the spot colors in a swatch file (so I can choose from more than one colors available this way), only to discover that in attempting to change the View to Overprint/High Res, I receive an error message saying it can't happpen because I have more than 25 spot colors in my document, it's clear that if I want a pallet of spot/process colors available as I'm choosing the proper color, I have to be able to open any swatch file independent of those opened through the "New Swatch" menu item.

Furthermore, this doesn't seem to happen in Photoshop or Illustrator. When I'm in a document in those apps, I can open any file of swatches I choose - from the same sort of Color pallet Options menu found in ID. And, if I reopen that file after closing it. The pallet file I opened (I think) remains there.

What am I missing here?

• 9. Re: Why is CS5 refusing to load swatches?

Sounds like you are trying to load spot colors from a Pantone or similar library.

ID does not work quite the same as Photoshop or Illustrator in this regard. From Swatches panel choose New Color Swatch (or hold down the Alt/Opt key and click the new swatch button) to open the new swatch dialog. IF you want a spot color, choose Spot from the Type dropdown then choose the appropriate color library from the Color Mode dropdown. You have to load one at a time (you can leave the dialog open by pressing the "Add" button istead of OK), though, and ID freaks out a bit if you have more than ten spots loaded because it is a page layout program with a history of desinging for print, and more than two spot colors is pretty outside the norm in the print world.

The load swatches command is there to allow you to load a group of swatches you've previousl selected in a different document, or that you've exported, as described above, as a .ase file from one of the Adobe applications. It is not used to load standard library colors unless they are included in one of those options.

• 10. Re: Why is CS5 refusing to load swatches?
                            AndyDriscoll Level 1

Peter, thanks. I've not been using my terms wquite correctly. I should have said not the Color pallet, but the Swatches pallet Options menu which offer the "Load swatches..." option

In searching for .ase, I find those files only in my Illustrator package of Presets. In InDesign, the only swatches available when I clicked on "Load swatches..."(not grayed out) under the Options menu in the Swatches Pallet – was the Pantone swatch folder and WERE grayed out and unavailable.

Furthermore, I have now opened a previous .indd file and find that I CAN open the Pantone swatches under the "Load swatches..." submenu.

• 11. Re: Why is CS5 refusing to load swatches?

What is the full path to these files you say you are able to load?

• 12. Re: Why is CS5 refusing to load swatches?
                                AndyDriscoll Level 1

Well, I cut myself off there. I must have done something the first time I opened the old file and saw the Pantone swatches under the Load swatches submenu. Now, I can't seem to repeat the process properly and the Pantone files are grayed out again. God knows what the path was/is. I thought I had figured it out, so re-opened the file that frustrated me - a simply little fundraising graphic I had designed yesterday. The color I'd used was a spot color loaded under the New Swatch sub, which you're now telling me I must use to load these colors ONE BY ONE instead of accessing a full pallet on spot/process colors on the pasteboard. Yike. I play around with color too much to have to want to load the damned things one-by-one. This, my friend, I consider a bug, unless someone can covince me why tID shouldn't behave - treating colors like Photoshop and Illustrator.

Now, can I open the pallets in Illustrator, because those , agin, are the only ones with .ase attached.[sigh]

Thanks again.

• 13. Re: Why is CS5 refusing to load swatches?
                                  AndyDriscoll Level 1

Also, if I Save swatches... from a file to that .ase file, where should I save it to? Now I may be asking basic questions that are probably answered in the Help file somewhere, which, for InDesign, isn't very handy. I keep woondering if CS5 is so outdated already, I can't function well under newer OSX's.

• 14. Re: Why is CS5 refusing to load swatches?

If you can collect the swatches you want in one file in Illustrator you can save them as .ase. Put that anyplace you find convenient, and then you can load them into ID. As I mentioned, though, ID doesn't like more than 10 spot colors and will warn you, if memory serves, that it cannot render the colors accurately on screen.

• 15. Re: Why is CS5 refusing to load swatches?
                                      AndyDriscoll Level 1

Thanks, Peter. I use this as my answer.