5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2012 8:25 AM by Peter Spier

Text threading not working

Roy - GCG Level 1

I have both InDesign CS5 (7.0.4) and CS6 (8.0.1) running on a MacPro1,1 with Mac OS 10.6.8

I am unable to link two separate text threads together. If I use the in or out ports and thread to an empty, unthreaded text box, everything is fine, but as soon as I try to link any two boxes that have text in them, a new text box is created and the text threads to that instead of threading the two existing text boxes. In a related vein, if I try to unlink two threaded boxes by double-clicking either the in or out port between them, I instead get a new text box threaded to the port I double-clicked. I can auto-flow a new text document just fine with all pages threaded. I have no idea what's going on, but since much of my work is book layout, this is a big problem for me. Anyone see this before and have any solutions? This is occuring in both versions of ID mentioned above.

• 1. Re: Text threading not working
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Anyone see this before and have any solutions? This is occuring in both versions of ID mentioned above.

I see something like this all the time, actually.

I'm not sure what kinds of layouts you're working on, so I can't be 100% sure that what you describe is what I experience. One thing I see consistently is that if the text box to which I am attempting to link is not at the top of the stack order for that layer, it is damnably difficult to thread. However, if I use a tool like Rorohiko's Text stitch (it's free, very useful, check it out if you need to thread a lot of frames) it is much easier to link a text frame if it's buried in the stack.

I often thread frames in reverse order, from the in port to the out port of the logically preceding frame - this seems to make it easier more than half the time.

What does your pointer turn into when you are failing to thread frames? Sometimes it'll show the loaded place gun, and it will turn into a "chained" place gun (shows the place gun with a chain instead of of the filled-up-with-text icon) that indicates that you are going to link to a frame. I will try to take screenshots later but my screenshot tool on this machine fails to capture the pointer.

• 2. Re: Text threading not working
            Roy - GCG Level 1

My pointer remains loaded and does not change to the links icon that it should. I have tried from the out port to the next box and from the in port to the preceding box. Neither makes a difference. I have multiple layers, but only the text boxes and their layer are used on these pages, nothing else to get in the way. I moved that layer to the top of the stack with no improvement.

Your suggestion of Rorohiko's Text Stitch (http://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/indesign-downloads/textstitch/) is really helpful. It's almost as easy as InDesign itself should be, but unlike InDesign's threading, Text Stitch actually works.

Thanks for your help, Joel and kudos to Rorohiko. For some time, I've been using their Soxy program to help with app version launching. Didn't notice they had a threading solution also. Glad you pointed it out.

• 3. Re: Text threading not working
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You might also want to try trashing your prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

• 4. Re: Text threading not working
                Roy - GCG Level 1

I trashed my prefs several times, both by holding Command-Option-Control-Shift while launching as well as by manually removing the prefs and letting ID create new default prefs. That had no effect on the problem.

• 5. Re: Text threading not working
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It also may nothelp, but there's a list of additioanl files you might want to try deleting after trashing the prefs one more time at Adobe Forums: InDesign crashes at startup