Anyone see this before and have any solutions? This is occuring in both versions of ID mentioned above.
I see something like this all the time, actually.
I'm not sure what kinds of layouts you're working on, so I can't be 100% sure that what you describe is what I experience. One thing I see consistently is that if the text box to which I am attempting to link is not at the top of the stack order for that layer, it is damnably difficult to thread. However, if I use a tool like Rorohiko's Text stitch (it's free, very useful, check it out if you need to thread a lot of frames) it is much easier to link a text frame if it's buried in the stack.
I often thread frames in reverse order, from the in port to the out port of the logically preceding frame - this seems to make it easier more than half the time.
What does your pointer turn into when you are failing to thread frames? Sometimes it'll show the loaded place gun, and it will turn into a "chained" place gun (shows the place gun with a chain instead of of the filled-up-with-text icon) that indicates that you are going to link to a frame. I will try to take screenshots later but my screenshot tool on this machine fails to capture the pointer.
My pointer remains loaded and does not change to the links icon that it should. I have tried from the out port to the next box and from the in port to the preceding box. Neither makes a difference. I have multiple layers, but only the text boxes and their layer are used on these pages, nothing else to get in the way. I moved that layer to the top of the stack with no improvement.
Your suggestion of Rorohiko's Text Stitch (http://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/indesign-downloads/textstitch/) is really helpful. It's almost as easy as InDesign itself should be, but unlike InDesign's threading, Text Stitch actually works.
Thanks for your help, Joel and kudos to Rorohiko. For some time, I've been using their Soxy program to help with app version launching. Didn't notice they had a threading solution also. Glad you pointed it out.
I trashed my prefs several times, both by holding Command-Option-Control-Shift while launching as well as by manually removing the prefs and letting ID create new default prefs. That had no effect on the problem.