12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2012 6:13 PM by RjL190365

Another CS6 build questions thread

0to60tv Level 1

Hi guys,

My first post here, I've been reading lots on here today thanks for all the info!, I'm building a new edit of, mainly for pp & ae cs6. I think I'm there with components but would love to hear your opinions and experiences before I click the pay now button in case I've missed something or there's something better about to be released...ideally I'd like to order this in the next couple of days as I have an intense project next week but I could do it on current pc it will just be more painful!

So, I mainly edit using hdv or xdcam ex, lots of video layers & effects especially magic bullet etc...and my current setup doesn't even come close to cutting the proverbial mustard...

Am looking at following bits, but 1 question, a few years ago I had a dual Xeon system with a Canopus dvstorm card on I think premiere pro 1.5, and it was blazing fast lovely real time effects but more noticeable for me was the output render times, I've read a lot over the past three days and it seems that cs6 only uses the processor for output rendering, is this the case? Or am I missing something!?

So (based on videoguys DIY 9 and extensive research online)

Asus p9x79 pro (please advise if the ws is any better? It seems not and I have a pci FireWire card anyway...)

Intel core i7 3930k (c2) (can anyone tell me what the "rev2" difference is?

Evga classified gtx680 4gb (I read...and read...and read....and read...and decided on this over the quadro 4000 please advise!!!???)

64gb (8x8gb) ripjaws 1600mhz 12800 (I've decided to take a punt on these as I've read on here that Samsung lv (1.3??) is more stable...this is the part I'm least confident on so please please feel free to suggest what memory!?) I've gone 64gb as I understand after effect can use it?

256gb Sandisk extreme sata3 ssd (boot)

2 1tb caviar black (striped) (are the velociraptors worth it!?)

2 2tb caviar green (pre backup "dump" drive & music/sound effects etc

Fractal designs r4 titanium

I'm hoping that will speed things along a bit?

My main questions are...

Edit hardware my old Canopus DVD storm, and to a lesser degree my multibridge (now gone) add something, but on this setup there's no 'edit card' if that makes sense? Am I missing something (apart from an I/o device for capture p/tape export ((FireWire??)) any 'high end' work I do is on xdcam so no capture necessary?

Memory...what's the official line? Will the ripjaws work?

Gpu... Are the quadro cards better!? Or do they assume 'professionals' are less likely to over clock there cards and so offer longer warranty ;-)?

Any other criticisms/ recommendations?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Another CS6 build questions thread
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Are the quadro cards better

Only if you have the SPECIFIC need for 10 bit output... otherwise cost more for less

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1089842 for info on ram

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Another CS6 build questions thread
            Kris_24

0to60tv wrote:

1... I've read a lot over the past three days and it seems that cs6 only uses the processor for output rendering, is this the case? Or am I missing something!?

2...Intel core i7 3930k (c2) (can anyone tell me what the "rev2" difference is?

1. My understanding is that Premiere Pro will use the GPU for output rendering if there is scaling involved or conversion from certain codecs to another. But I'm not an expert on that. In any case, the GTX 680 you plan to use will give you a difference of night and day for many different aspects of Adobe CS applications.

2. As I'm getting the same chip for my own build, I've looked into this. Short version; don't worry about it. The original launch of the 3930k (C1) had a bug which affected a feature called VT-d, which affects the usage of Virtual Machines (simplification: running a software computer inside of your actual computer). Basically, if you don't know or care about that (and I don't expect most video editors will), it sounds like it doesn't particularly matter which version you get. There is some noise on forums about the revision possibly having better (or worse!) overclocking potential, but my gut feeling is that the overclocking ability of a given CPU varies widely enough from unit to unit that C1 vs C2 has basically no effect.

• 3. Re: Another CS6 build questions thread
              0to60tv Level 1

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to reply & the info provided, very useful!

I had figured that about the quadro cards, but there was a little niggle at the back of my mind it would be better for some reason!

On the RAM...I want a stable system, as have lost too many hours work in the past from crashes! however I also want as much RAM as possible to speed things along!

What is the general consensus on the "best" RAM configuration?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Another CS6 build questions thread
                0to60tv Level 1

Thanks for that Link Harm, and also, thanks so much for all your posts on here etc as I have learned a huge amount from you over the last couple of days!

• 6. Re: Another CS6 build questions thread
                  0to60tv Level 1

Quick update...Ive just ordered the parts hopefully arrive tomorrow and I can put everything together!

Thanks so much to everyone who contributes on this forum, I havent replied to all, but I have read SO many posts on here this week!

Have I missed anything (Apart from a hardware raid controller and 10 velociraptors!!!)

I may treat myself to a new Keyboard and mouse, I have a R.A.T 9 at the moment which I absolutley love! but get fed up with swapping batteries and so considering getting the "7" either that or the logitech mx revolution... any other recomendations?

Also was about to order one of these...

http://www.editorskeys.com/video-editing-keyboards/adobe-premiere-dedicated-keyboard.html

And will keep my shuttle xpress wheel which I never use...but am planning on trying out with this new system...

So...pretty much as above I ended up ordering the following

Item: Samsung S24b300hl LED LCD Widescreen 23.6" HDMI Monitor

Qty: 1 Cost: £100.11 (To complement my existing 2)

Item: Asus P9X79 PRO Socket 2011 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Qty: 1 Cost: £159.43

Item: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.20GHz Socket 2011 12MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Qty: 1 Cost: £398.32

Item: EVGA GTX 680 Classified Edition 4096MB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card with FREE ASSASSINS CREED III Download Coupon

Qty: 1 Cost: £400.82

Item: Assassins Creed III Nvidia Download Coupon (shame I have so much work to do this isnt going to get used!)

Qty: 1 Cost: £0.00

Item: SanDisk 240GB Extreme SSD - 2.5" SATA-III - Read 550MB/s Write 520MB/s

Qty: 2 Cost: £116.66

Item: Corsair 850W HX 80PLUS Gold Modular PSU

Qty: 1 Cost: £109.99

Item: WD 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Caviar Black Hard Drive - 7200rpm 64MB Cache

Qty: 2 Cost: £65.83

Item: Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Case

Qty: 1 Cost: £81.66

Item: Noctua NH-D14-2011 Dual Radiator Cooler with PWM fans LGA2011 only

Qty: 1 Cost: £50.33

Item: G-Skill 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz RipjawsZ X79 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V

Qty: 2 Cost: £52.24

PLEASE say now if Ive missed something, or if there is a conflict/incombatibility problem with any of this kit!

Im excited...and now broke...

In short...

Looking at keyboard & mouse recomendations?

Does anyone notice anything wrong with the list? Please let me know now before I open anything tomorrow!

Will I need a mini hdmi to regular hdmi adapter?

• 7. Re: Another CS6 build questions thread
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Nothing wrong with your choices, although I would have opted for different components myself:

Corsair PSU: not the HX Bronze but the AX Gold.

Sandisk Extreme 240 would have been replaced with a Marvell controller SSD, like the Corsair Performance Pro, Plextor M5 Pro or Samsung 840. The claimed speeds with the SanDisk are very unrealistic, you are lucky to achieve half of their claimed write speeds, because it is based on the SandForce controller and 'stable state' performance degradation is significant.

• 8. Re: Another CS6 build questions thread
                      0to60tv Level 1

Update...

All is well in the world of 0to60tv...well almost...the motherboard battery housing was damaged...but I didnt realise until after I had built it!? so had to dismantle it all...get a replacement...and now...finally...I have had a whole day of editing xdcam ex footage multi layered with a bucket load of magic bullet etc etc...all playing in glorious realtime HD :-) I am a happy bunny!!!

Thanks so much for everyones input and advice.

One issue though...(I havent spent long trying to fix it as I had to crack on with the project Im working on as lost a day building it!)

I cant seem to get a "proper" output to my third monitor...

I am able to expand the pp window across all three, and I can undock the preview monitor and drag it into the third monitor but when I tick "monitor 3" in playback preferences...nothing seems to happen?? IE I dont get "just" video out to the third monitor...

Any pointers?

Thanks again, Genuinely had the most productive day I have ever had in 10 years of editing!

If your considering updating a dated suite...do it...you wont look back, and I reckon it qwill pay for itself in the time saved over the next few months!

• 9. Re: Another CS6 build questions thread
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Glad to hear it worked out so well. Happy editing.

With regards to your monitor setup, maybe have a look here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1065149?tstart=0

• 10. Re: Another CS6 build questions thread
                          0to60tv Level 1

Thanks, I had read that already (and every other bit of googling I could)

Everything seems to be correct...its just not working!

Ive just finished exporting so Ill have another whirl...

And another question...

I just downloaded your ppbm7 kit...and after checking speccy my ram is only showing as 800mhz not 1600mhz...? Im guessing a bios setting?

• 11. Re: Another CS6 build questions thread
                            0to60tv Level 1

pp.jpgNot sure if you'll be able to see that...but that is a screen shot of my three monitors...you can see that monitor "3" is selected...however its not outputting to the third monitor (right hand third of picture...)

Is there some other box I need to tick to specifiy which type of output or something? Or should I just tick that box and boom my right hand monitor turns into a proper output monitor...

I was hoping I wouldnt need an intesity or matrox device to achieve this!?

• 12. Re: Another CS6 build questions thread
                              RjL190365 Level 4

0to60tv wrote:

I just downloaded your ppbm7 kit...and after checking speccy my ram is only showing as 800mhz not 1600mhz...? Im guessing a bios setting?

"1600MHz" is the effective speed of that RAM. "800MHz" is the true clock speed (note the term "DDR" in "DDR3"). Thus, Speccy and many other "system info" utilities show the actual clock speed of the RAM (which for DDR-anything RAM is always half of the memory's advertised or effective speed).