4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2012 3:33 PM by danielj9123

mouth size tracking

danielj9123

Hello all,

I am new to After Effects and have been playing aroud with the auto tracking tools. I am trying to track the mouth size from a video footage. The person in the video has no contrasting points anywhere on the mouth so it's been kinda hard to make a fluent track without having to stop every couple of frames to adjust the tracking tool. I am wondering if anyone can give me any ideas on how to make this process a bit less painful than having to go almost frame by frame setting tracking points in order to get the mouth's length and width in a long video interview.

I would highly appreciate any ideas. Meanwhile, i'll keep working on this pseudo-automatic process..

Thanks!

Daniel

• 1. Re: mouth size tracking
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I am wondering if anyone can give me any ideas on how to make this process a bit less painful

With AE's built-in tracker? Not really. It's sad having to say thisd over and over again, but these days mocha realyl rules for pretty much everything, including such stuff. just keep working on your current method or start over using mochaAE...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: mouth size tracking
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would also recomend Mocha.. Much better solution.

• 3. Re: mouth size tracking
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Agreed. It's why we include mocha-AE with After Effects.

• 4. Re: mouth size tracking
                danielj9123 Level 1

First of all, thanks for your reply! I kept the ones I've done by nearly entirely by hand but I'd like to give mochaAE a try, after all, I've got quite a few videos to analyze and it would be a good idea to contrast both methods. So far, I've been having similar problems to the ones I found with AE's tracker, it's really hard to accuratelly follow the rapid movements of the mouth. I was wondering if you would be so kind of pointing me in the right direction to where I can find a tutorial on for example something like shape change tracking, or something along those lines... So far I've managed to track "static surfaces", such as the entire face or smaller features such as the nostrils but not the contour of the mouth (i wish this person had worn blue lipstick or at least had thought of painting black spots to identify lenght and width, it would have made my life so much easier...) or at least the vertical and horizontal dimensions of the mouth...

Again, I highly appeciate your suggestions!