7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2012 8:32 AM by SJRiegel

[Basic Paragraph] style behaviour upon copy/paste

DBLjan Level 2

Hi,

we just get started changing from Quark to InDesign, and our lead layout-producer is not so crazy about style sheets, so everything she creates is using the [Basic Paragraph] Style.

A by her created libary now contains groups of text objects in Basic Paragraph with format changes +

When I use these groups, or copy and paste from another document, why does InDesign keep the changes like fontsize or -color, but does change the font?

My basic paragraph does use another font, so its quite annoying INDD keep the changes, but keep change the font.

What can I do to prevent INDD from changing the font?

• 1. Re: [Basic Paragraph] style behaviour upon copy/paste
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Either change your [Basic Paragraph] style to exactly match hers, or either convince or compel her to start properly using paragraph styles.

• 2. Re: [Basic Paragraph] style behaviour upon copy/paste
            DBLjan Level 2

But is this a bug or a feature? I use Indd 7.5.3 and don't know if this was changed…

• 3. Re: [Basic Paragraph] style behaviour upon copy/paste

As far as I know, it has always been this way. When two styles have the same name, the definitions in the document being pasted into override the ones from the copied document.

• 4. Re: [Basic Paragraph] style behaviour upon copy/paste
                DBLjan Level 2

Then I dont understand, why the change of attributes count as a modification (of the sytle) and dont get changed back to the document-basic, but the font does. Where is the logic behind this +?

• 5. Re: [Basic Paragraph] style behaviour upon copy/paste

For example, she had taken some [Basic Paragraph] text, applied Bold and changed the type size to 18 pt. When you paste her modified into your document, what InDesign "sees" is

Set this type to [Basic Paragraph] with the following modifications : make Bold, size to 18 pt.

So it starts with your [Basic Paragraph], and makes those changes.

The only other way beyond the two I listed above for fix this is to have here use Break Link to Style on every item before she puts in into the Library.

If you are copying and pasting from another document, you can use Break Link to Style on the text before you copy it to keep it from associating itself with your [Basic Paragraph] style sheet.

• 6. Re: [Basic Paragraph] style behaviour upon copy/paste
                    DBLjan Level 2

Bildschirmfoto 2012-11-14 um 16.49.12.png

So, i made this beauuutiful thingy for a test. It looks disgusting, i know. The point is that it uses 4 fonts and different modifications.

If I get you right, to prepare a "good" document, our layout-producer should clogg our documents with different paragraph-styles not to use the Basic? Sure, she can convert it into paths, but different collegues have to translate this stuff later so that isnt an option.

Maybe she can "design" things like that in Illu, giving us an AI to use.

I made an irritating discovery:

As I built this thing with Futura as my Basicparagraph-font, i dragged it into a libary, closed every doc to change my default-paragraph-style to another font to see what happens. I set up a empty doc and dragged it back in again – no changes at all. I was surprised. Its in the basic, it has a +, and if i click on basic it changes to GillSans, if i alt+click the modifications (like the colors) turn to black… – this is what i was looking for :-)

But why with my other test-object. Im nearly in closing time here, so i will upload an image tomorrow, but the only variable that haved changed to my second try minutes ago:

– the objects were converted using Q2ID (Markzware)

– the group just contained one (but another) font

Maybe theres the problem somewhere.

• 7. Re: [Basic Paragraph] style behaviour upon copy/paste

The reason your posted example didn't change is because ALL the attributes were changed from the basic paragraph ones.

I think that for your purposes, Break Link to Style will fix your problem.

In the example here, the four paragraphs were set up with [Basic Paragraph] The column on the right was then selected, and Break Link to Style chosen from the paragraph pallet menu.

I then made a new document with an odd font and color for the [Basic Paragraph]. As you can see in the next screen shot, The text still connected to the style pick up all unchanged attributes of [Basic Paragraph] in the new document. In the one instance where I changed the font, it stayed. All the others picked up the font from the new document. The Text on the right - with the style link broken - kept all the attribues it had in the first document, because it was not look at the [Basic Paragraph] style in the new document.

Screen shot 2012-11-14 at 11.30.18 AM.pngScreen shot 2012-11-14 at 11.28.41 AM.png