5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2012 1:58 PM by VidNoob

After Effects giving multiple plugin install warning...

VidNoob Level 1

I moved all of the plugins into the "common" folders for both cs 5.5 and cs 6, but when opening AE cs6 it is telling me there are multiple files. I thought that the files need to be in both cs5.5 AND 6's common folders if you plan on using 5.5 for some reason. So if I just elave them in the cs6 common folder, and need to use AE cs5.5, will ti still detect those plugins?

Badsically i just want to know how to still have access to my plugins when i use either version of AE and not get this error message for every single plugin.

• 1. Re: After Effects giving multiple plugin install warning...
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

This has per se nothing to do with the common plug-ins folder. Each version of AE will use the correct one for its version. You just duplicated some plug-ins somewhere or some installer installed them twice. Sift through them, remove the duplicates.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects giving multiple plugin install warning...
            VidNoob Level 1

So in other words... Which folder should I then have all of my plugins inside of to get around this error and so they all work across versions?

• 3. Re: After Effects giving multiple plugin install warning...
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With some 3rd party plug-ins you can't simply copy and paste them to folders. Sometimes you can use an alias. It just depends. Some of the factory plugins for CS6 won't work in CS5 so you can't just copy and paste them. I think what you are doing is a waste of time. The best option is to use the installers, install for each version, and go from there.

• 4. Re: After Effects giving multiple plugin install warning...
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I moved all of the plugins into the "common" folders for both cs 5.5 and cs 6,

Why did you think that you should do that?

Don't.

That folder is specifically for plug-ins that are shared between Premiere Pro and After Effects, and it's used by automatic installers. It's not intended for you to manually put things there (unless you know what you're doing and have a good reason).

• 5. Re: After Effects giving multiple plugin install warning...
                  VidNoob Level 1

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

> I moved all of the plugins into the "common" folders for both cs 5.5 and cs 6,

Why did you think that you should do that?

I read something in a google search with someone having the same issue and someone replied telling them to do that. Granted this was on CS3, but I figured it would work with CS6 also.

I don't see how what I'm doing is causing issues when i install these. I only use the installers to install the plugins and they go where they wish. The only thing I can think of is that because I have installed some for 5.5 and another for 6 that the plugins still share the same name and AE is seeing it as duplicates.

Regardless of whether what I did/am doing is not the way to go about things, can someone please explain where the plugins SHOULD end up to not cause this error? They were causing errors on default install for 5.5 and 6 so there's obviously somehting I'm going to have to do on my end and not let the installers just have their way with it if I'm getting dupe errors.