23 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2012 10:17 AM by JMJarrige

display driver incompatibility

davidorthfurniture Level 1

Hi, Premiere Elements Folks,

I've been using PreE for a month and it's been going very well, if a little slow with my 2G of memory.  Yesterday on opening the program I started getting a new "display driver incompatibility" warning that I hadn't seen before.  Worse is that my project preview no longer works.  I see that there are a number of these incompatibility questions here on the forum, but they all seem linked to the specific OS and video card involved.

Here are my details if anyone out there can help me:

PrE 11

Windows 7

video card: GeForce 8400M

laptop: Dell Vostro 1500

I did update my video driver from the NVIDIA site this morning.

Thanks much to anyone with an idea of what I should try.

David Orth

www.OrthFurniture.com

• 1. Re: display driver incompatibility
          the_wine_snob Level 9

My guess would be that an OS update rendered your display driver obsolete - a common occurance.

As you have a Dell, go to their Web site, plug in your ATI/AMD Radeon card/chip, and download, then install the latest video driver.

If Dell does not have a newer video driver, try the ATI/AMD Web site, plug in your Radeon model and OS, and see if they have a newer Catalyst driver. As Dell (and HP, and Lenovo, and a few more) rewraps the video drivers for their particular configuration, the new drivers from the mfgr. might not install. Then, all that you can do is wait for Dell to issue one.

One other course of action would be to create a new System Restore Point for today, then boot to Safe Mode, choosing to roll the system back to an earlier System Restore Point, reboot, and test. At the worst, you have only lost a few minutes, as you have the System Restore Point for today.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: display driver incompatibility
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As a PS, since you got the video driver error message, you probably have a BadDriver.TXT file. If so, see this FAQ Entry: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/769303?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: display driver incompatibility

Bill, thanks for your responses.  I didn't find a "baddriver.txt" file in

the program folder. 

One more thing, about my system ...  It's Dell Vostro 1500, but I upgraded

the Windows XP to the Windows 7.  The driver Dell has for my video is only

for XP.  So I went to the Nvidia site and they have a utility to detect and

recommend a driver.  I did this and it doesn't solver the issue for Premier

El.  So I am working now to implement your recommendation about a Radeon

card on the Dell site.  I didn't follow you about that.  Is my display card

a "Radeon"?  All I know is that the display (card?) is an NVIDIA GeForce

8400M.  Is the card/chip something else?  Also, I did plug in (search for)

"ATI/AMD Radeon" on the Dell site and nothing came up.  I'm doing this

wrong.  Sorry I don't know much of anything about this.

DAvid

Orth Furniture & Sculpture

20817 Bunker Hill Rd

Marengo, IL 60152

studio: 815-943-4099

cell: 708-288-5199

fax: 360-937-6485

website: www.OrthFurniture.com <http://www.orthfurniture.com/

• 4. Re: display driver incompatibility
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may only use an nVidia driver with an nVidia product... ATI is a different company

• 5. Re: display driver incompatibility
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I apologize! I confused your system with another poster's.

You have nVidia, and not AMD, as John T. points out. My bad.

Your two options are Dell, and nVidia. Please disregard all mention of ATI/AMD. Those drivers will not help you, and would likely never install on your system. As John T. points out, they are a totally different company.

Good luck, and again, my sincere apologies for messing things up.

Hunt

• 6. Re: display driver incompatibility
                    vipul vaibhav Adobe Employee

Hi David

If you have Norton or McAfee or any other anti virus, try disabling for a while and then launch Premiere elements and check.

Else :

Right click on the premiere elements .exe , select run as administrator and then check.

• 7. Re: display driver incompatibility

Nope, turned off my AVG and still get both the warning and no preview.

Still looking for a solution to this problem. 

David

20817 Bunker Hill Rd

Marengo, IL 60152

• 8. Re: display driver incompatibility

And also "ran as administrator" - same issues.

20817 Bunker Hill Rd

Marengo, IL 60152

• 9. Re: display driver incompatibility
                          VDOSurfer Level 3

What changed between the "normal working" and the "error scenario"? If you have not done anything manually, as Bill suggests, it could be Microsoft at work updating the OS components automatically. One of those updates could have possibly rendered the display driver incompatible.

Do the laptop display drivers also get updated automatically? I never trust the OEM machines, especially laptops (Dell/Lenovo etc.) because they run utilities that update their software and drivers automatically. Seems like a good thing in first glance, but they have no way of ensuring they work fine with all the other software. And they also do not roll back to a known-good configuration. If this is the case, you will have to uninstall the latest display driver and download and install a driver around the time when it all worked fine for you.

Try and let us know.

• 10. Re: display driver incompatibility

Ok, I tried an older version of the same driver.  I didn't uninstall first.

It didn't work.  How important is uninstalling?

Downloading another driver that is supposed to work with my setup.  This is

time consuming so I thought I would avoid uninstalling first.  But if this

approach doesn't work, I'll go back and uninstall as suggested.

Comments?

• 11. Re: display driver incompatibility
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I tried an older version of the same driver.  I didn't uninstall first.

It didn't work.  How important is uninstalling?

The importance of uninstalling will depend on the exact drivers. If I were rolling-back, I would uninstall any newer driver, as pieces of it can be left behind with a simple overwriting installation.

With my nVidia FX 4500 Quadro, most driver updates (going from older to newer) are just a download and install, but there were two, where I had to uninstall the earlier driver first. There was also one, where I had to make some adjustments to settings in my nVidia Console, BEFORE installing the newer one. Even for the same card, I have had to do things essentially three ways, but nVidia provided exact instructions on what needed to be done, and I just always read those instructions, as they can differ, driver version to driver version.

I also keep copies of older drivers around, as sometimes, new drivers are broken, upon release, and rather than wait a month, until the new one comes out, I need to be able to roll-back, and get work done.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: display driver incompatibility
                                JMJarrige Level 2

I think you could try the Baddrivers.txt procedure indicated in Bill's first or second message.

This file only appears if you have access to hiden files : you will see the program data folder

in this case, and you will see this file that you will be able to delete.

Bonne chance

JM

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: display driver incompatibility
                                  JBH1972

Today I had exactly the same thing happen to me.  I was editing video just fine last night (no errors, preview OK), and overnight my Vostro 3550 with only an Intel HD graphics card (which had popped up no warnings before) apparently restarted with a System Update from MSFT (Windows 7 Pro 64 bit).

This AM, I get the error, and once it finally loads, there's no preview. There is no updated driver from Dell...in fact, the driver has been the same since late 2011.

Oh...and I'm using PrE 10.

• 14. Re: display driver incompatibility

Bill, etal,

Ok, I've working on this all morning.  I have tried 4 older and beta drivers

that are available for my setup from Nvidia.  I've uninstalled before each.

No luck.

I've noticed that the uninstall process leaves two folders filled with dll

and exe files, etc.  I've been afraid to touch these.  Should I erase the

folders for a clean uninstall?

I've, also, sent my situation to Nvidia support and am waiting to hear back.

David

20817 Bunker Hill Rd

Marengo, IL 60152

• 15. Re: display driver incompatibility

Current status is that the graphics driver is uninstalled.  I don't see any

Baddriver.txt files in those two left over folders (hidden files visible).

I am waiting to see if anyone recommends that I erase these folders before

reinstalling.  If so, I will reinstall and check for Baddriver.txt file

again.

Trying all angles now.  Keep the ideas flowing toward me!

David

20817 Bunker Hill Rd

Marengo, IL 60152

• 16. Re: display driver incompatibility
                                        JBH1972 Level 1

I just upgraded the Intel HD driver to the latest from the Intel site, and now PrE crashs durign launch.

I'm not going to 'upgrade' to 11 just to get the darn thing to work when it worked last night.

• 17. Re: display driver incompatibility
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm not going to 'upgrade' to 11 just to get the darn thing to work when it worked last night.

Were you getting an "Incompatible Driver" error, prior to updating the Intel driver?

Was the Intel driver updated last night, or was something else done, like an OS update?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: display driver incompatibility
                                            VDOSurfer Level 3

Look for what changed between the working and non-working states. Premiere Elements certainly did not change. It most certainly is an OS update. As we have (I think) ruled out the driver updates. You can uninstall the latest OS updates and see if that fixes things.

All video editors work very closely and demandingly with the system (processor, RAM), its drivers, Hard Disks (speed, drivers), OS graphics components (DirectX, OpenGL, OpenCL etc.). So it is kind of mandatory that all be perfect for the software to work correctly. Any one of them goofing up can cause the software to stall "inexplicably". That is the nature, I repeat, of all video editors. By design they are like this, as I have seen over the years.

My point is that the quickest way of solving issues with these software is to see what is the difference between a working system and a non-working system. In your case it is the working "state" of the system and the non-working "state" of the system. We could go into details of each of the mentioned factors if none mentioned thus far solve it.

This is definitely the approach here most of the time.

• 19. Re: display driver incompatibility
                                              JMJarrige Level 2

The baddrivers.txt file is in the following structure, for my PREL 9.0 release  :

Programdata/Adobe/Priere Elements/9.0 in my case under Win 7. It was exactly the same

with Vista.

If you don't see the folder (different than program or program files X86 folders), it is that you

have not real access to hiden files or folders.

Deleting the file in my case generally solves this problem of driver compatibility which I encounter

after some software updates.

JM

• 20. Re: display driver incompatibility

Yay!  Fixed for now.  Still don't know what caused the issue in the first

place.  Probably OS updates.

The fix is removing the Baddrivers.txt file.  I was looking in the wrong

places for it.  But I found it there where JM explains - except it was in my

11.0 folder.  I've run PrEl once and see that there is a Baddrivers.txt file

back in there, but I guess it's just recreated and probably the old one was

corrupted.

Thanks to all who stuck this out with me.  I've reinstalled the Nvidia

driver that was most recommended in the first place.  So the driver was not

the issue for me.

Hope the others struggling with the similar problems find their solution

soon.

David Orth

20817 Bunker Hill Rd

Marengo, IL 60152

• 21. Re: display driver incompatibility
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and thank you for reporting both the location of your BadDrivers.TXT file, and what fixed things for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: display driver incompatibility
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If things continue to work well for you, you might want to read over this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1058744?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: display driver incompatibility
                                                      JMJarrige Level 2

Glad to see you solved your issue.

The folder name is in fact the release number of Premiere Elements, so 11.0

in your case.

If you look at the content of this Baddrivers.txt, you will see FALSE or TRUE, depending on the situation

that is detected by Premiere. I suppose, remembering my old times in system programming in the seventies,

that this file is a switch used by the software.

Best regards from France

JM