7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2012 4:10 PM by Jim_Simon

How to toggle fullscreen playback on secondary monitor?

flashinsson

Hi all,

after giving up on Adobe transmit and Blackmagic drivers I went back to monitor fullscreen video on my second computer display and not on my grading monitor for beat accurate editing.

But as I also use the second display for project and effects panels, I would like to be abble to toggle the fullscreen video with a keyboard shortcut, without having to go into the preference menu ervery time, but I couldn't find anything that lets me do that. Did I miss something, or does premiere not support this feature? Even FCP "Classic" does that...

thanks!

• 1. Re: How to toggle fullscreen playback on secondary monitor?
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

flashinsson wrote:

Even FCP "Classic" does that...

thanks!

Final Cut Pro is not Premiere Pro and vice versa. If you see something you'd like to see in Premiere Pro that existed in another application, you have to file a feature request. Sorry.

flashinsson wrote:

I went back to monitor fullscreen video on my second computer display and not on my grading monitor for beat accurate editing.

Go to Preferences > Playback and click the checkbox for your second monitor under "Video Device."

flashinsson wrote:

But as I also use the second display for project and effects panels, I would like to be abble to toggle the fullscreen video with a keyboard shortcut, without having to go into the preference menu ervery time, but I couldn't find anything that lets me do that.

I like the idea, but sorry, there is no way to achieve that unless you change your preferences. That said, you can create a custom keyboard shortcut to get you directly to Playback preferences for a quick tick of the checkbox. Personally, I've adapted to working with the UI on Monitor 1 and full screen playback for Monitor 2.

If that won't work for you, create a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 2. Re: How to toggle fullscreen playback on secondary monitor?
            shooternz Level 6

Personally, I've adapted to working with the UI on Monitor 1 and full screen playback for Monitor 2.

I have done that as well.. and the benefit is far superior ergonomics (less mouse and head action required).

I also use mouse  "hover and tilde"  and Full screen on Monitor one occassionally.

(I do have a BC Monitor attached via BM Card as well though)

• 3. Re: How to toggle fullscreen playback on secondary monitor?
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Yes, monitors are huge these days. I remember editing on dual 17" CRT monitors when I first got into digital editing. No trouble. Now, with 30" monitors, editing with 2 of them is like watching a tennis match!

• 4. Re: How to toggle fullscreen playback on secondary monitor?
                flashinsson Level 1

Thanks for your reply Kevin!

Kevin Monahan wrote:

Final Cut Pro is not Premiere Pro and vice versa. If you see something you'd like to see in Premiere Pro that existed in another application, you have to file a feature request. Sorry.

I really hoped PP CS6 could be FCP 8, that's why I switched and that's why a lot of editors consider Premiere Pro. But sometimes it just doesn't cut it.

Filed a feature request anyways.

The whole post would not have been necessary if Adobe and Blackmagic would get this Transmit/driver thing sorted and my 5000$ sdi card and monitor hardware would not be useless for editing. It worked flawlessly for years...

Kevin Monahan wrote:

Go to Preferences > Playback and click the checkbox for your second monitor under "Video Device."

that's what I do, but do that 5 times with a client breathing down your neck and you will hate it.

thanks anyways,

martin

• 5. Re: How to toggle fullscreen playback on secondary monitor?
                  shooternz Level 6

I really hoped PP CS6 could be FCP 8, that's why I switched and that's why a lot of editors consider Premiere Pro.

Is that really why you switched!

What was wrong in FCP7? 

• 6. Re: How to toggle fullscreen playback on secondary monitor?
                    JoshWeiss reTooled Level 2

I agree I would love the feature you are asking for.  However, what you can do is map a keyboard shortcut to your Preferences, Playback, then all you have to do is check the box.  So it is an exra step, but better than going all through menus.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: How to toggle fullscreen playback on secondary monitor?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

if Adobe and Blackmagic would get this Transmit/driver thing sorted

There are other folks here using that combo successfully.  Perhaps give some specifics of what's not working, and they can help fix it.