7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2012 2:10 PM by HeyMikey

CS5: pdf export dropping background graphic

ellehrman2

This is driving me crazy! I have a simple file with a background color with white type and a white logo knocking out of the color.

Screen shot 2012-11-14 at 10.50.02 AM.png

This is a revision of a file from last year with a new date, so that's the only change. The object is set to print, filled with a cmyk mix, and the pdf default setting is for high quality print. What I'm getting is a blank white pdf.

I'm on deadline so any help would be MUCH appreciated!

• 1. Re: CS5: pdf export dropping background graphic
          HeyMikey Level 3

Hey there,

Have you checked that the object is not on a layer set to not print, or is the background color not actually the "Paper" color? the Paper color will never print regardless of what it's CMYK values are.

Let us know what you find out; it is curious, but easily fixed if the solution is one of those above.

Cheers!

-Mike

• 2. Re: CS5: pdf export dropping background graphic
            ellehrman2 Level 1

Good thoughts Mike, but the graphic is a placed rectangle with fill, so it's not the paper color, and everything is on one layer which is set to print.

Here't the setup:

Screen shot 2012-11-14 at 11.52.08 AM.png

and here's the exported pdf:

Screen shot 2012-11-14 at 11.53.24 AM.png

It seems like it should be somethng really obvious, but what?!!

Oh, and I've reset the InD preferences, but no luck.

• 3. Re: CS5: pdf export dropping background graphic
              HeyMikey Level 3

Hmmm... very interesting. I see your layers are definitely let to print; what if you select the rectangle, and under Window>Output>Attributes, make sure that "Nonprinting" is unchecked?

• 4. Re: CS5: pdf export dropping background graphic
                ellehrman2 Level 1

Yeah, it's unchecked. Now it's getting more bizarre...since the blue rectangle was showing up in the pdf, I just changed the color to brown, made it 8.5x11, 0,0 coordinates for the background, and it disappears again!!

What the...?!!

• 5. Re: CS5: pdf export dropping background graphic
                  HeyMikey Level 3

OK... let's try something else. Under "View", choose "Overprint Preview". This will tell us that the object is indeed going to print. I assume you'll still be able to see the brown rectangle. If not, the rectangle has some attribute which is prohibiting printing/viewing.

If this doesn't help, then do a "Hail Mary" export to IDML. It's in the export menu under the pull-down. Once you export, close your document, then locate and open the newly-created IDML file. Save this file as a new INDD file with a different name, and see if the problem is fixed.

Last resort would be to quit and restart InDesign, holding the Command+Option+Shift keys to reset your preferences.

This is really weird, for sure.

-Mikey

Message was edited by: HeyMikey

• 6. Re: CS5: pdf export dropping background graphic
                    ellehrman2 Level 1

Yep, overprint preview looks right. I wonder if my PDF presets needs to be trashed and reinstalled? I don't think that's it but I'm grasping at straws.

Thanks for hanging in there on this!

• 7. Re: CS5: pdf export dropping background graphic
                      HeyMikey Level 3

No problem. Did exporting to IDML help? Trashing InDesign's prefs? I'm stumped for sure. My next suggestion would be to create a new document, and create a new brown swatch, then place the white graphics again. A new document shouldn't have any problems. I don't think it's your PDF presets. Are you opening the PDF in Acrobat? Reader? Preview? If it's Preview, that may well the problem. On OS X, the default PDF viewer is Preview, which has issues with some Adobe PDFs. To change the viewer default, in the finder, select a PDF and Get Info on it; in the "Open with..." pull-down, choose Acrobat or Reader, and then click the "Change all..." button to make Acrobat the new default. If that was the issue, then your PDF and InDesign are not the culprit...

Good luck on this one!

Cheers,

-Mikey