16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2012 10:00 AM by AirFoxMedia

faster render n scrub?

AirFoxMedia Level 1

im tryin to scrub the timeline in ae but the anim wont play. it seems my comp is too slow. prefs, project settings?? will cs5.5 or 6 work on my machine?

thanks!!!

--

mac os 10.5.8

cs5

2 x 3 ghz dual intel xeon

10gb ram

1920x1080

• 1. Re: faster render n scrub?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See this page for resources about making After Effects work faster: http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7

No, After Effects CS6 will not work on your current system; you'd need to upgrade your operating system to Mac OSX v10.6.8 or later.

• 2. Re: faster render n scrub?
            AirFoxMedia Level 1

went there. was looking for a few tips. you must have some? thanks.

• 3. Re: faster render n scrub?
              AirFoxMedia Level 1

also, is there a way to scrub before rendering the timeline?

• 4. Re: faster render n scrub?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Yes, I have multiple hours and pages of tips. That's what I pointed you to.

• 5. Re: faster render n scrub?
                  AirFoxMedia Level 1

ok, thanks. how bout the scrubbin?

• 6. Re: faster render n scrub?
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

Ever work with a video editing application?  Final Cut Pro?  iMovie?

Forget both of them.

After effects doesn't work like they do.  It was never designed to work like they do.  So you can't do the same things in AE that you can do in an editing application.  You have to learn a new way of working.

Sorry, but that's how it is.

Likewise, an editing application can't even come close to doing the things AE can do.

• 7. Re: faster render n scrub?
                      AirFoxMedia Level 1

ok, one more: why does the timline suddenly loose half a render while its rendering, therefore needing rerendering?

• 8. Re: faster render n scrub?
                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

why does the timline suddenly loose half a render while its rendering, therefore needing rerendering?

There's not enough information in this thread for an informed answer, just a guess:

You not really sure how to use the term "render" because you're really new to AE, but you changed something on a layer in your AE comp.  The layer is about half as long as the comp itself, and the green line at the top went away.

If my guess is even close to being right, you need to spend some quality time here.

Lots of good stuff within it!  Look carefully!

• 9. Re: faster render n scrub?
                          AirFoxMedia Level 1

every thread has a lil back and forth. think of me as a fuzzy foreigner with broken english. im an abandoner of flash, finally. i hit the spacebar and it ram previews(right?) and then in the middle of the process it looses half the process. is that more clear?

sp, the specs of my machine i wrote, does that seem like the main "speed" problem in "render" time?

thank you master D!

A

• 10. Re: faster render n scrub?
                            AirFoxMedia Level 1

when i say render, i mean actual render queue. 1 min of animation is stating 6 hour render.

• 11. Re: faster render n scrub?
                              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                              i hit the spacebar and it ram previews(right?)

No. Read up on how to do RAM previews here. Basically, I never use spacebar. You should be hitting 0 on your number pad.

i hit the spacebar and it ram previews(right?) and then in the middle of the process it looses half the process.

FAQ: Why does a RAM preview only play part of my composition?

1 Minute of animation could easily take 6 hours to render depending on the specs of your computer and what you have in your scene. If you've got 100,000 particles flying around, depth of field, shadows, lights, etc. it'll take a while vs. a basic text animation.

You really, really should go through the resources in the link Dave provided. It will remove a lot of the frustration and confusion you're sharing right now.

• 12. Re: faster render n scrub?
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> You really, really should go through the resources in the link Dave provided. It will remove a lot of the frustration and confusion you're sharing right now.

Please heed Michael and Dave's advice.

• 14. Re: faster render n scrub?
                                  AirFoxMedia Level 1

def there already can u at least tell me if this set up is totally weak, passable or fairly normal:

mac os 10.5.8

cs5

10gb ram

working with:

1920x1080

• 15. Re: faster render n scrub?
                                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Let me be straight up, because obviously the message from the others is still not getting through to you: Little to nothing in AE is realtime. Pretty much any user interactive operation either causes a delayed screen update while buffers are calculated or resolution degradation e.g. during scrubbing, aka Adaptive Resolution. That's how things are. That's how things have been for the last 20 years. That's how things still are even in CS6, give or take the ability to scrub through two or three footage layers without notable delays due to Fast Previews with GPU acceleration. Anything beyond that is idle speculation and a waste of time. That aside you did not tell us what actually is involved in your project, what your render settings are, what drives you use, whether multiprocessing is involved, what effects and so on. For all we know you could have totally sucky harddrives and this be a simple footage I/O problem or you use a single temporal effect that kills all parallelization optimizations because linear progression is required. And again: Simply get used to it. You could have the latest Xeons and Terabytes of RAM and some things would still render slow as hog. It's the nature of a "resolution independent compositing tool". Not saying that things couldn't be better because under the hood AE is puffing and creaking like an old steam engine and could severely use some software engineering love, but it's nothing unusual, either. I myself have rendered 15 second pieces that took 8 hours or more and they weren't even HD...

Mylenium

• 16. Re: faster render n scrub?
                                      AirFoxMedia Level 1

mac os 10.5.8

cs5

10gb ram

1920x1080

pro res

1 min of simple camera push in anim.

ive tried multiprocessing settings in many scenarios

iris effects on three layers of type- simple

how do i find out make and model of hard drives?