8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2012 2:13 PM by adobenewbie123

Scratch Disks Unavailable

adobenewbie123

I installed P.E. 10 on a second computer and everytime I open up a project, I egt the message:

"The scratch disks are write protected or unavailable. To open this project, the scratch disks wil be sent to your My Documents Folder.  Would you like to continue?"

I need to answer "yesy' to access my project whoch opens up fine.  But the problem is that I can not render any of my edited video.  If I do try to render, I get the following rendor error realted to the message when I first opened up the project:

"Invalid Scratch Disk path for Video Previews . please change it so some other location."

So I guess the software  having it placed automatically in "My Docuemnts" was not the right path but how do I change the setting and where shoud I change it to?

The software is currently installed here:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10

Thanks for listening!

• 1. Re: Scratch Disks Unavailable
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          1. In Edit>Preferences, where are the various Scratch Disks located?
          2. Can you give us a breakdown of your computer's I/O Sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, amount of free-space and how you have them allocated (for other than the Scratch Disks, which are asked about in question 1)?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Scratch Disks Unavailable
            Nash_John Level 3

The issue is that the location where scratch disks were set to, on your old computer is not available on the new system.

You can change the scratch disks location from Edit->Preferences->Scratch Disk.

Also do remember, if you are moving a project from one system to another, don't just move the project .prel file.

But, instead first Archive the project using File->Project Archiver, and then move the Archived Project Folder.

• 3. Re: Scratch Disks Unavailable
              adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hey John and Bill,

Yes, I was using the archive function to move projects.  Also, this scratch disk error even comes up whien I select new project so it has nothing to do with moving projects from the previous computer.

I went into :

Edit-Preferences-Scratch Disk

sand I notice that Captured Video and Captured Audio list the setting "same as Project" but Video Previews and  Audio Previews efault to My Docuemnts. Since the scratch disk error realted to the My documents directory, shoud I just try changing the setting for previews to "Same as Project" as well?  

Once again, here is the error message:

"The scratch disks are write protected or unavailable. To open this project, the scratch disks wil be sent to your My Documents Folder.  Would you like to continue?"

I'll wait for a reply before trying  as I do not want to blow up my system

• 4. Re: Scratch Disks Unavailable
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Before we just start making recommendations, go back to my first Reply, and let us know more about Question # 2:

2. Can you give us a breakdown of your computer's I/O Sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, amount of free-space and how you have them allocated (for other than the Scratch Disks, which are asked about in question 1)?

That will tell us what you are working with, and likely help our recommendations be correct.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Scratch Disks Unavailable
                  adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hey Bill,

Here are the specs :

111 gb's

56 gb's free

I googlesd my hard drive model for additional info.  .  I hope this helps:

Seagate Baracuda ATA V ST3120023AS

Seagate's Barracuda ATA V disc drives deliver 7,200-RPM performance for desktops

• 6. Re: Scratch Disks Unavailable
                    adobenewbie123 Level 1

Okay for wahtever reason, ths worked so I wanted to report about it. Since the error related to the My Documents Folder and that was the settng for audio and video preview under  sctratch disk settings, I created a folder directly on my c drive called scratch disks and ponted to that location. Now I can render!

Do you think it is okay to use this same folder for multiple projects  or do you think I should make a separate scratch disk folder for each project. (still living  right on the first level of the C drive)

• 7. Re: Scratch Disks Unavailable
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The ideal I/O setup, without getting into professional configurations and RAID arrays, is:

C:\ OS, programs, and probably your Windows Virtual Memory Page File

D:\ Projects w/ Scratch Disks

E:\ Media files

This assumes separate physical HDD's, and not partitions.

For even better I/O throughput, one could add a RAID for E:\ and then add an F:\, which would be a RAID too, just for the output files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Scratch Disks Unavailable
                        adobenewbie123 Level 1

Thanks Bill!