4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2012 1:54 AM by MediaCat19

Update Notification Download Button Issue

MediaCat19

Hi,

Not really sure if this should be in the General area or in the Bugs & Issues area... so please moderator(s) please move this if it needs it...

Was just informed about an update to the Flash Player ... so hit the download and ran the installer... it started to automatically download McAfee Scan Program, (which I did not, nor have I ever included for download/installation) ....

The download button on the update notifier should be pointed to the page where it asks if you want the McAfee software as well... it does not currently do this. is automatically download the installer that calls for both the McAfee and Flash Player to download and install...

This is a backhanded method to have unwanted software installed on a consumer's computer...

I recommended updating the download button to stop at the page that asks if you want the McAfee sofware as well

Just my 2 cents...

• 2. Re: Update Notification Download Button Issue
          MediaCat19 Level 1

Yup that's exactly what I was talking about!

Clearly my search criteria was insufficient as I did not see that in results when I was looking earlier LOL

Sorry for reopening a new thread about an existing topic...

• 3. Re: Update Notification Download Button Issue
            pwillener Level 8

That is fine.  Many people complained about the same issue in the last few days, and I always ask them for a URL, and/or a screenshot - so far I have not received anything.

Can you provide any?  That would really help to narrow the issue down.  (I got several update notifications for Flash Player recently on several computers, but I never got any bundled downloads.)

[moving this topic to the Flash Player forum]

• 4. Re: Update Notification Download Button Issue
              MediaCat19 Level 1

unfortunately no i didnt think to screencap this, nor had i thought to do it as it took me my surprise when it happened and i didnt think to deliberately duplicate the issue... but i can try to explain the process step by step that I personally encountered....

I rebooted my machine (well i had a stack dump and it decided it was time... gotta love windows)...

during the startup sequence the update notification window came up with a download button on it... just saying there's a flash player update and do you want to download it...

so sure hit the download button thinking it was one of those hotfixes that already downloaded and it would just apply it like it usually when say shockwave updates...

however instead it opened a "would you like to save this exe file to your computer" dialog box thru firefox and so said go for it... and it downloaded it...

i then went into windows explorer and launched it ... it started the download process of the flash player software... no problem...

then about 25% of the way through that another progress bar comes up telling me its now downloading the McAfee scanner software and i'm like 'oh hell no' and cancelled the download/installation/update process...

doing this cancellation brought me to a webpage at adobe saying that installation failed ... so i manually went to the flashplayer download page and UNCHECKED the mcafee option and then proceeded to try all over again...

it worked fine the second time doing it manually that way...

when it asked me to save this new exe file, i swear it was named exactly the same as the bundled software version ... i attempted to check but when i cancelled the original BAD install/upgrade attempt it deleted the original install/update file that i had downloaded... and it didnt send it the recycle bin either... as i checked

(same thing happened after the successful install of the non-bundled upgrade/installation ... it too vanished after it was done)

anyways... that's what happened to me... then i came here in a huff

hope this was a little helpful ... i'll be sure to fire up comtasia or some other screen capture video software next time i see that upgrade dialog box and send you a video if it happens again LOL