1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 26, 2006 2:48 PM by Peter Farland

SOAP Web Services

J_Tremain Level 1
      Ok, here's a question that's been troubling me for a while. Is there any way to pass a user's login information when trying to access a SOAP web service. I've been trying to figure this out in Flex as well as Coldfusion. I basically have web services that are sitting in a protected directory that requires an user to be logged in before providing it's functionality. I was just wondering if there's any way to accomplish this in Flex.
        • 1. Re: SOAP Web Services
          Peter Farland Level 3
          If you're not using the FDS proxy service, then you'll have to get users to first log in using HTTP Basic Authentication where by the browser pops up a dialog and requests a username and password independently from the Flash Player. Then, with a session in place (typically tracked by cookies), the flash player can make connections to secure web sevices.

If you are using the FDS proxy, you can call setRemoteCredentials on the WebService instance to provide credentials that the FDS Proxy Service can use to pre-authenticate the user before sending on your web service request. Note that you can also use the same set of credentials for all users by hard coding in remote credentials for the Proxy Service destination.