3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2012 5:26 AM by peter minneapolis

Table of Contents - heading & subheading on same line

Technicholl

Hello.

I am trying to setup a TOC and style it so the headings and subheadings appear on the same line, i have looked all over for a solution but have not yet found anything that works.

Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 09.09.00.png

this is what i am trying to achieve in a simple form

Thank you

Adam

• 1. Re: Table of Contents - heading & subheading on same line
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There is no easy or elegant way to do this as far as I know.

ID uses paragraph styles to generate the TOC, so each paragraph becomes a new listing. You can gain the appearance of two paragraphs in the running text while having only one buy using a forced line break (Shift + Enter) betweent he heading and sub-heading, which will combine the two into a single listing in the TOC, but you will still need to replace the line breaks with your choice of separator (you used a tab in your example, but I might pick an em space) after the TOC has been generated. That's easy to do with Find/Change.

Styling becomes a bit more of an issue when you work this way if the sub-headaing has a different format from the main heading. You must apply a character style to one part or the  other to change it, and you almost certainly need to do that using a nested style rather than applying the character style by slecting the text, or worse, selecting text and applying local changes. Because formatting applied as a nested style is part of the paragraph style definition it is not carried into your TOC if you use a different paragraph style inside the TOC, but manually applied styles and local formatting are preserved as overrides to any style applied inside the TOC.

The other typical approach to this problem is to add a non-printing bit of text with a unique paragraph style set up for the purpose, and to use that style instead of the heading/subheading styles to make the TOC. Your non-printing text should be entered exactly as you wish it to read in the TOC. I personally like to use and anchored object for this so it will move with the headings, and you can stick it up in the top margin out of the way. I usually make this red, too, so it is obvious to anyone editing the file.

• 2. Re: Table of Contents - heading & subheading on same line
            Technicholl Level 1

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

It's a shame there is no simple or built in solution for this. I am currently using a slightly disjointed approach of a TOC for the page number & heading and a second TOC for the subheading, it's kind of mashing things together but works.

I will take a look thorough your solutions and see how i get on.

• 3. Re: Table of Contents - heading & subheading on same line
              peter minneapolis Level 4

The "run-in" paragraph property of Adobe's FrameMaker creates a paragraph with a carriage return, but no line feed, so it begins on the same line as the preceding paragraph. It's exactly what you want. You can add your formal request to others who have asked for this feature in InDesign, here: Wishform.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices   

Technicholl wrote:

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

It's a shame there is no simple or built in solution for this. I am currently using a slightly disjointed approach of a TOC for the page number & heading and a second TOC for the subheading, it's kind of mashing things together but works.

I will take a look thorough your solutions and see how i get on.