13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 1:43 PM by acgant01 RSS

PSE 7 shutting down

acgant01

I open PSE 7 and click edit.  The a box comes ups syaing adobe photoshop elements (editor) has stopped working and must close.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling.  I can't seem to find the problem.  Please help!

• 1. Re: PSE 7 shutting down
          99jon MVP

The editor saved prefs often get corrupted. You may need to rebuild the editor preferences to resolve any conflicts.

Hold down the Ctrl+Shift+Alt keys and simultaneously click on the Edit button on the welcome screen. Release the three keys and look behind the welcome screen by closing it. Or hold down the keys whilst clicking on the desktop icon for the Editor or PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe in the Programs folder. Keep holding down all three keys until you get the settings option.

You should see a pop up box with the words: Delete Adobe Photoshop Elements Settings File?

Click on Yes

Then wait whilst Elements rebuilds the preferences.

• 2. Re: PSE 7 shutting down
            acgant01 Community Member

Hello, I did what you said to do, and it still says stopped working and needs to close.  Now when I click on the desktop icon to open, a box pops up User account control, do you want to make changes to your computer.  I click yes and it starts to open, then the welcome screen appears and on that screen it says make sure to get the latest inspiration browser.  Now I have followed the steps for this too, it still does not work.  Is there anything else I can do?  Thanks, Christy

• 3. Re: PSE 7 shutting down
              99jon MVP

Try making a direct desktop icon for the Editor and see if you can launch the program directly from the desktop.

Right click anywhere on the desktop and select New >> Shortcut

Browse to Computer OS C:

And find the PSE Editor application in Program Files or Program Files (x86) on Windows 7 - 64 bit.

C: >> Program Files >> Adobe >> Photoshop Elements 7

Within the Photoshop elements 7 folder find PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe (the application not the Adobe shortcut)

Select that file and click Next.

Then click Finish.

You should now be able to launch by double clicking on the new desktop icon, bypassing the welcome screen.

• 4. Re: PSE 7 shutting down

Okay as I did this, I got all the way too look for the

Within the Photoshop elements 7 folder find PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe (the application not the Adobe shortcut)

Attached is what I see, I don't see PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe 

So this may be the problem, hmmmm.

• 5. Re: PSE 7 shutting down
                  99jon MVP

Can’t see any image? Have you uninstalled the program or made any system changes recently which may have deleted PSE7?

• 6. Re: PSE 7 shutting down

Well I followed the directions to update the inspiration browser.  It asked me to uninstall the PSE and then follow the steps.  I thought I followed it all correctly.  How do I know if it was done correctly.  Sorry, I just hope I can fix the problem.

• 7. Re: PSE 7 shutting down
                      99jon MVP

Possibly the set-up did not fully complete when you tried to re-install. Try using your PSE7 disk or download to install the program again.

• 8. Re: PSE 7 shutting down

So uninstall it and reinstall with the disk? 

• 9. Re: PSE 7 shutting down
                          99jon MVP

Yes that would be cleanest. And forget the Inspiration Browser; that’s a separate program running via Adobe AIR.

• 10. Re: PSE 7 shutting down

Perfect reinstalling now, I'll let you know if I run into any problems.  This will lose all my previous actions that I had, right?

Sent from my iPhone

• 11. Re: PSE 7 shutting down

I have reinstalled, but now when I click on the desktop icon a box opens saying do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer.  Do I click yes or no?

Sent from my iPhone

• 12. Re: PSE 7 shutting down
                                99jon MVP

You will need to put any actions or plug-ins back manually.

• 13. Re: PSE 7 shutting down

Did you see the last message I sent?  What is that user control box?  Do I check yes or no?  Should it be appearing?

Sent from my iPhone