3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2012 5:20 AM by Peter Spier

Find a metacharacter column in InDesign

Nikkershaw Level 1

Hello!

I will be grateful if someone can help me.

How can I search the metacharacter column in InDesign.

tablemetacharacter.JPG

I want to insert a tab character before the metacharacter with find/change (text or grep)

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Find a metacharacter column in InDesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

That's the end of story marker, and as far as I know you can only find the end of story location, not the marker itself, so you can find .\z which is the last character in the story (\z is thened of story location) and replace with $0\t, but that only works if there's actually text in the story. An empty story results in no change.

What are you trying to accomplish by adding the tab?

• 2. Re: Find a metacharacter column in InDesign
            Nikkershaw Level 1

Hi Peter!

Thank you, but it doesn't work.

I forgot to say that it was in table columns.

I want to insert the character tab with find/change (but for this I need to find the metacharacter "end of column") and then format the table like this:

table.JPG

Best regards,

• 3. Re: Find a metacharacter column in InDesign
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Nikkershaw wrote:

Thank you, but it doesn't work.

What, exactly, doesn't work? Adding the tab to any cell that already has text works, but as I said, cells without text are ignored. In your example above, it should work fine as long as the hyphens are in those cells. Just select the cells to which you want to apply the change before you run.

But I think this is more a workflow issue. How are you populating the cells? Do ALL cells need a tab, or are you inserting it to create that leader? Have you considered making a custom Keyboard Shortcut set and adding a key combo to insert the tab in table mode?