10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2012 8:58 AM by Starmore369

2 questions regarding a DIY9 type build

Dlivrr1

Guys,

Have gleamed much information from this forum, so thank you in advance. I am planning on a build based on the Asus P9x79 MoBo and i7 3930k for Premiere CS 6.

1) If I use a crucial 256 or 512 SSD as my OS/program drive, is there any benefit in attaching a smaller SSD to the SSD Caching port of the motherboard?

I still plan on seperate source and render HDD's (most all my edits are under 15 minute clips).

2) I notice that the PRO and WS board don't have built in wireless (I still need wireless). The Deluxe version does. Is it better to go with the Deluxe board vs. an internal card (are they still made?), vs a USB dongle?

• 1. Re: 2 questions regarding a DIY9 type build
          Harm Millaard Level 7

See Planning & Building a NLE System

1. Drivers are not yet available for Win8, so I would not know.

2. If you don't need the other features of the PRO or WS version, the Deluxe version may be better for your needs.

• 2. Re: 2 questions regarding a DIY9 type build
            Jim_Simon Level 9

I'm curious, what's the 9 stand for in DIY9?

• 3. Re: 2 questions regarding a DIY9 type build
              Harm Millaard Level 7

The ninth edition of the DIY guide. Every time Gary writes a new edition the number increases.

• 5. Re: 2 questions regarding a DIY9 type build
                Dlivrr1 Level 1

Thanks for input. My more specific question is with the ASUS motherboards. These have a seperate plug for a "SSD cache" drive. Does anyone know if this would possibly help speed anything up, or does it just turn a regular hard disk drive into a "hybrid" drive. Since I'm planning on main OS drive as a SSD, is there a benefit to throwing a 40 GB SSD onto this plug?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: 2 questions regarding a DIY9 type build
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Again, Asus has no drivers available yet for SSD caching under Win8, only under Win7 so I have no idea whether it would be beneficial. Actually, I considered asking Asus Technical Support whether one or two SSD's on the Marvelll controller would help speed up my raid, which already shows file reads and writes at around 2657 and 2828 MB/s, much faster than even two SSD's in raid0. For single disk use it seems that SSD caching is somethimg like transforming that single disk into a hybrid alike kind of disk and may be beneficial, but then you have to wait for the driver to become available with Win8.

• 7. Re: 2 questions regarding a DIY9 type build
                    Starmore369

The wireless controller on the Deluxe is a nice touch if you want a simplified wireless connection ( it is a 2.4GHz and BT3.0 wireless solution ). This is solid for general usage internet usage and moderate range and even gaming depending on latency and throughput. If you plan for transfers and heavier loading you may want to consider a higher performing solution whether it be a USB or PCIe solution.

We have our ASUS USB N53 or PCE-N53 both are dual band solutions and would offer considerable performance increase ( throughput ) assuming you have a dual band router. Like our RT-N56U , 65U or 66U

In regards to your question on SSD Caching.

We actually have updated our AiSuite II application to fully support windows 8.In addition our latest UEFI releases have incorporated full CAP format support providing the best compatibility, performance, and interoperability compared to boards using the legacy UEFI rom format.

Getting back to SSD Caching on the board with the currently posted driver and updated AiSuite II the caching functionality works without issues under windows 8. In regards to improve performance you will see a nice bump in read performance and response. Additionally some heavy writes will be stabilized but not offer higher throughput. Overall if you want to improve the performance of your mechanical HD it is a great option.

Keep in mind SSD Caching if for users who need larger capacity so can not use a SSD as a primary storage medium or using it as local storage volume.

In regards to performance the tiers are noted below.

PCIe SSD solutions

SATA 6G SSD Solutions

SSD Caching ( SSD + Mechanical HD )

Mechanical HD

Hope this helps.

Please enjoy the rest of your day.

• 8. Re: 2 questions regarding a DIY9 type build
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

We actually have updated our AiSuite II application to fully support windows 8.In addition our latest UEFI releases have incorporated full CAP format support providing the best compatibility, performance, and interoperability compared to boards using the legacy UEFI rom format.

They can not yet be found on this site: http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P9X79+WS&p=1&s=42

• 9. Re: 2 questions regarding a DIY9 type build
                        Starmore369 Level 1

Hello Harm,

You are correct it is not under our support.asus.com page for the P9X79 WS. I have asked our web team to verify it has been uploaded as internally we have the build ( and it is the same as what is used on our other boards ). In the interim if you want access to it you can download the AiSuite II build from another board like the P9X79 Deluxe. The modules are all the same. The only thing to not install would be the mobilink and BT GO! package as the board does not have Bluetooth or Wireless.

In regards to the UEFI it is already uploaded and the new CAP format vs the legacy ROM format.

Hope this clarifies it and thanks for the heads up.

• 10. Re: 2 questions regarding a DIY9 type build
                          Starmore369 Level 1

Some information for you on performance of SSD Caching

This was completed on a P9X79 PRO but the performance would be the same on a WS. I am using a older 7200 RPM HD so your performance number could be alittle higher with a newer generation drive.

Below are results for performance metrics for the mechcanical HD by itself as well as combination of a 120GB SSD with the same mechnical HD. One of the nice aspects of our SSD Caching solution vs that of Intel's ( which is only on the Z77 chipset ) is their is no limit on the caching volume size.

PC Mark 7 Storage Performance Mechanical HD.jpg

SSD Caching Performance.jpg