12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2006 6:09 PM by sorrycharlie

Only when I Clean a Project do the changes take

sorrycharlie
      Seems Flex Builder only can incorporate changes in the swf when I Clean the Project. Is there a setting I need to change? This is the latest build of flex with the default setttings.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Only when I Clean a Project do the changes take
          Level 7
          sorrycharlie wrote:
          > Seems Flex Builder only can incorporate changes in the swf when I Clean the Project. Is there a setting I need to change? This is the latest build of flex with the default setttings.

If you edit a source file (.mxml or .as) in Flex Builder and then save
          the file, FB should automatically recompile the swf.

If you have added an additional swf file to a project and are changing
          that swf file through external means, you will need to refresh the
          project files.

Please explain how are you making the "changes in the swf".

-- Greg Dow
          -- Adobe Flex Builder Team

• 2. Re: Only when I Clean a Project do the changes take
            sorrycharlie Level 1
            Hi,

The change is nothing more then moving a button. The timestamp of the files change when I recomplie but still no change in the swf. Very strange.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Only when I Clean a Project do the changes take
              Level 7
              sorrycharlie wrote:
              > The change is nothing more then moving a button. The timestamp of the files change when I recomplie but still no change in the swf. Very strange.

First, are you using the release or a beta version of Flex Builder?
              There were some bugs related to changes not properly triggering a
              recompile that were fixed between beta and release.

Second, do you have the "Build Automatically" option checked in the
              Project menu? I would guess that you do since it is on by default, but I
              want to be thorough.

Third, I have heard of problems with a recompile not happening the very
              first time you save after opening a file. If that happens, try making a
              trivial change in the source code such as adding a space and deleting,
              then save the file again. That save and subsequent ones should trigger a
              recompile.

-- Greg
              • 4. Re: Only when I Clean a Project do the changes take
                sorrycharlie Level 1
                Hi,

The released version.

Yes I have Automatically Build on

Tried your suggestion but it does not trigger the compile.

The mxml file is not being updated even when I save the file in flex. When I manually edit the file outside of flex and the time-stamp is changed it is recompiled as it should be.

Seems Builder still has a problem knowing when a file has changed. Whether I move the line or added a component it does not notice it.

Let me know when you guys get this fixed

Thanks

<<<First, are you using the release or a beta version of Flex Builder?
                There were some bugs related to changes not properly triggering a
                recompile that were fixed between beta and release.

Second, do you have the "Build Automatically" option checked in the
                Project menu? I would guess that you do since it is on by default, but I
                want to be thorough.

Third, I have heard of problems with a recompile not happening the very
                first time you save after opening a file. If that happens, try making a
                trivial change in the source code such as adding a space and deleting,
                then save the file again. That save and subsequent ones should trigger a
                recompile.

-- Greg

>>>>>>>>>>
                • 6. Re: Only when I Clean a Project do the changes take
                  sorrycharlie Level 1
                  Hi,

Well since not everyone has this problem I'm going to reinstall and see if that fixes it. There must be something unique to our configs. The only change I can think of in my installation is that I did not select the default location for the workspace. I'll let you know if this fixes it.

Cheers
                  • 7. Re: Only when I Clean a Project do the changes take
                    sorrycharlie Level 1
                    Well I think I will switch to the sdk since it seems sort of unlikely that this will get fixed very soon since it is not effecting everyone. Oh well being on the bleeding edge is always like this, debugging for free :)
                    • 8. Re: Only when I Clean a Project do the changes take
                      Level 7
                      If you have a modest-size reproducible case that you could post, that would be
                      great.

Thanks,

--
                      Mike Morearty
                      Flex Builder team
                      http://www.morearty.com/blog
                      • 9. Re: Only when I Clean a Project do the changes take
                        sorrycharlie Level 1
                        Hi,

Sure

Install Flex
                        Accept all the defaults
                        Create an mxml application
                        go into design mode
                        drag in a label
                        click save
                        click run
                        in the browser you only see the blue gradient
                        click clean
                        then run
                        in the browser you will see the label
                        drag in a button
                        click run
                        in the browser you see the label but no button

Now just to be complete, close and reopen flex and move the button and click save and run
                        Under project if you look at the properties you will see that the date and time stamp is incorrect since you just made changes.

So nothing special here. This is the simplest use case possible and still no happiness.

Thanks
                        • 10. Re: Only when I Clean a Project do the changes take
                          Level 7
                          I just tried your steps, and I can't reproduce the problem. For me, each time
                          I make an edit and then click run, the app shows up correctly in the browser.
                          I'm trying to think what could possibly cause that on your machine, and
                          can't come up with anything.
                          • 11. Only when I Clean a Project do the changes take
                            llin Adobe Employee
                            Hi,
                            Is it cached somewhere? If you appaend ?1 after your url, do you get the same problem?
                            • 12. Re: Only when I Clean a Project do the changes take
                              sorrycharlie Level 1
                              I tried that and no sucess. I even clear out the cache and turn off the machine and Flex is still unaware that the file has been changed and to do a recompile. I'm going to try the sdk version and see if the same problem exists

Thanks