6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2012 11:12 AM by the_wine_snob

Jumping Jpegs in Export?

chuck farris Level 1

Hey guys,

I'm back with the "Ken Burns" nightmare project- hundreds of 4000 x 3000 jpegs, panning and zooming (I'm a bezier champion by now...).

But it keeps hanging up in AME, I've tried rescanning/replacing jpegs at what seems to be the troublesome spot, and I've tried doing a low (1) bitrate just to speed things up and see if it can get through.

So it finally finished (at the too low to keep bitrate of 1), getting through the "troublesome section" but the images are jumping, pulsing and flashing- what the heck is going on???

The project is 6 nested nested 1-2 minute sequences. I've also had problems in the nested version where the audio buzzes and crackles, but it's not in the original. Why is that?

Jumping Jpegs, Batman!!! Am I (or this project) cursed?

Thoughts? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Jumping Jpegs in Export?
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

My guess is that your images are simply too large and some of them are throwing errors because of that. Personally, I resize any images to only the size I need for better performance. Here's some details about that in this blog post: Maximum Dimensions in Premiere Pro. I'll bet if you resized the images to 1/2 that size, you'd have no trouble.

• 2. Re: Jumping Jpegs in Export?
            SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Well, not that anyone likes workarounds, but you need to deliver this, right? So export each of your Sequences as an .avi file (assuming on PC), then assemble those together in a New Sequence, and then export final.

The Lagarith codec is lossless and freely available, or try Avid DNxHD, or I think "UT" is another name I see floated around.

• 3. Re: Jumping Jpegs in Export?
              chuck farris Level 1

Kevin- i wondered if that might be an issue... now i know- don't know if I have time to resize all thouhj...

Safe- on a Mac- any suggestions? I could try Pro Res, but if Kevin's right and it's an image size not codec issue, I'm scr@wed...

• 4. Re: Jumping Jpegs in Export?
                chuck farris Level 1

From Kevin's blog:

still image and movie size:

The maximum frame size that can be imported for still images and movies is 256 megapixels, with a maximum dimension of 32,768 pixels in either direction.

For example, an image that is 16,000×16,000 pixels is OK, as is one that is 32,000×8,000, but an image that is 35,000×10,000 pixels can’t be used.

But my  average dimensions are 1700 x 2400 verticals and 7000 x 4600, 6000 x 4200, etc horizontals, well below Kevin's dimensions, right?

Kevin- is it more of a FILE size or FRAME size issue? Which needs to be changed?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Jumping Jpegs in Export?
                  Jon Chappell Level 3

There's a difference between theoretical and practical image size limitations. I came from FCP where you couldn't go above 4000 px in either direction  and I haven't had problems when continuing that methodology in Premiere.

(By the way, you can batch resize images using Automator in OS X.)

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Jumping Jpegs in Export?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have either Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements, then you can easily create an Action to Scale whole folders of Images, to exactly what you need.

I just did a folder of ~ 4000 x 3000 pixel Images to SD 640 x 480 (what I needed for a DVD Project), with 500+ Images, in about 1 min. on my older workstation.

Though it's getting a bit old now, this article contains some steps in a Photoshop workflow, that might be helpful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2200755#2200755

Good luck,

Hunt