4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2012 1:37 PM by kiwipippa

10 Error message?

granbarb

I purchased a book from Kobo Books but when I try to download to Adobe Digital Editions it comes up with a message saying "one or more downloads are not finished.  Do you want to resume pending tasks?  When I click ok it comes up with this message:

Ceremony in Death:

IO Error on Network Request.

Please check your network connection and try again.

Network Path:

http://ecimages.shortcovers.com/e454d69c-ed33-458f-b90f-0046e43b5891.epub

Event Detail:

Error #2038

--- end ---

What do I do to fix it?

Barb

• 1. Re: 10 Error message?
          Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Adobe Digital Editions forum.

It would appear that the file you are trying to download is no longer available.  Have you tried canceling the download and obtaining a new ACSM file from the eBook provider?  This should give you a new link to download the ePub from.

• 2. Re: 10 Error message?
            kiwipippa

I am also having the same problem.  Also with a kobo book purchased today.  And on reading the mobileread kobo forum we are not the only ones.  Is this an ADE problem or a kobo problem?

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2307677&posted=1

• 3. Re: 10 Error message?
              Frustrated in AZ Level 4

You've received one answer already that suspects the KOBO site has either a

corrupted address for the ebook or has done something else so that the file

is not where it appears to be.  If so, then it's a KOBO problem and 'could'

be part of KOBO's attempt to impose some additional restrictions on

downloading to ADE....

There's one other possibility: security settings in Windows 7.  Here is the

text of a comment from one user that she posted to another forum:

"Carol D says : August 23, 2011 at 4:32

PM<http://ebookreadersoftware.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/how-to-solve-adobe-digital-editions-er ror-2038/#comment-588>

Yes, I do get error # 2038. I had tried reinstalling, and rebooting with no

luck.

However, I was able to fix it, so I thought I would share.

I have found that Error # 2038 means that something is blocking ADE access

to the port or server where your ebook is.

It seems a simple thing, it was my firewall in WIN 7 giving me the problem.

The firewall appears to be off but was actually still on. WIN 7 has

different firewall settings. There are 2 ways that worked for me.

In Windows Control panel, System & Security, Firewall, it showed me 2

different firewalls, one called Home or Work (Private) and the other called

Network. I turned them both off … but it still would not download my ebook.

This is where I was stuck.

Option 1. (safer)

On the left side there’s a link for “Allow a program or feature through

Windows Firewall”. I went there, where it shows a list of programs with

boxes to check off for “Home/Work (Private)” and “Public”. As Digital

Editions wasn’t there for me to choose, I clicked on Allow Another Program.

Another pop up box still didn’t show it, so I had to browse for it. Once

found, I was able to add it to the list and checked both the “Home/Private”

and “Public” boxes.

Option 2.

Still in Control Panel, System & Security, Firewall, click on Advanced

Settings on the left. This area showed my Firewall was still on. I clicked

on “Windows Firewall Properties” which brought me to a choice of 4 tabs,

Domain Profile, Private Profile, Public Profile and IPSec Settings. My

Private and Public firewall was off (which showed in Control Panel) but the

Domain Profile Firewall was still on (missing that little tidbit of info in

Control Panel Firewall). I clicked on Firewall State: OFF.

Bingo, I could then download my ebook. As I had done Option 2 first, I

tried keeping the firewall Domain Profile ON and allowing Digital Editions

access as a program. That worked, and as that’s safer, that’s where I’ve

left it."

Hope this helps!

===============

• 4. Re: 10 Error message?
                kiwipippa Level 1

All fixed for me now.  Kobo advised that they had reset the license for the book I purchased and to try again.