2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2012 7:30 AM by JJMack

Can I convert a series of adjustment layers into a single action?

_zeppelin2

Hello,

I have a Photoshop CS6 document with 20-some adjustment layers and would like to be able to apply their effect to multiple image files. I'm looking for a way to convert the series of adjustment layers into a single action so that I can batch process a set of images. Can this be done?

Unless I'm missing something, it appears that no trivial solution exisits. For example, there's no option that allows for selecting the adjustment layers, right clicking them, and choosing 'convert to action.' What I want to avoid is having to redo each adjustment layer just for the sake of recording an action.

Also, I understand that I can always "place" (i.e. drag and drop) the image requiring processing into the Photoshop document containing the adjustment layers, saving a merged copy as jpeg, and repeat... but such a manual method would border on insulting to this prowess of a program.

If anyone can get creative and suggest a method of recording an action that can make use of the document with the adjustment layers and a variable document that will be passed through during the batch process, I'm all eyes!

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Can I convert a series of adjustment layers into a single action?
          conroy Level 5

The linked article may help. It shows how to create a Curves preset that represents a stack of adjustments. Your Action would then be a simple application of that one Curves adjustment.

How to express blend modes as curves

• 2. Re: Can I convert a series of adjustment layers into a single action?
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

_zeppelin2 wrote:

Hello,

Also, I understand that I can always "place" (i.e. drag and drop) the image requiring processing into the Photoshop document containing the adjustment layers, saving a merged copy as jpeg, and repeat... but such a manual method would border on insulting to this prowess of a program.

If anyone can get creative and suggest a method of recording an action that can make use of the document with the adjustment layers and a variable document that will be passed through during the batch process, I'm all eyes!

You have the other choice with drag/drop or duplicate where you copy the adjustment layers into the other image document.  Target all the adjustment layers in the layer palette click on the first one the Ctrl|CMD+click on the others or if adjacent Shift+click on the last one to target all the adjustment layer then use menu Layer>Duplicate Layers...  and use the pull down menu in the pop-up dialog to choose the other open image document.

You can of course record an action when you add all the adjustment layers then play that action on the other images. Twenty adjustment layer on top of an image seems a bit extreme to me.