5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2012 7:12 AM by Dave LaRonde

Track Cursor position

_snickers

Hey there,

is there a quick possibility to show the cursors track / movement position in After effects?

I'd just like to show the way via drawing a line behind the mouse movement...

Thanks for support!

• 1. Re: Track Cursor position
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

You can create a motion path using the Motion Sketch animation tool.  Seach for it on this page.

• 2. Re: Track Cursor position
            _snickers Level 1

Good idea

But I want the path actually follow the cursor of a screen capture, so you can consider

it as a kind of object.

Do you know what I mean?

• 3. Re: Track Cursor position
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're talking about a screen capture most, like Camtasia and Screen Flow have "show cursor" as an option. Check your documentation.

• 4. Re: Track Cursor position
                _snickers Level 1

I am sorry there is a little misunderstanding.

Thus I made a little picture to show what I exactly mean. I already have a screen capture and just want to make the path of the (captured) cursor visible like shown in the picture. It is a kind of analysis about the cursors movement. Just to visualize where it moves...

So I need something like a motion tracker, to track the cursor.

Can someone explain me how to do it?

Thanks a lot

cursor_path_.png

• 5. Re: Track Cursor position
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

AE's built-in Motion Tracker might work well for this.  Once you have the track, you can apply it to a mask path on a solid that's the precise same size as the screen capture and apply Stroke.

To accommodate speed changes, you'll have to tweak the keyframes a lot.

That will put the line ON TOP of the cursor.  To put it under the cursor, you'll have to duplicate the screen capture layer, make a same-size solid as before, make a cursor-shaped mask, apply the track to it as before, and use this solid as a track matte for the duplicated layer..