2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2012 12:26 PM by dxman830

This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed

dxman830

I have been using Adobe Premiere Elements for the past month or so with little to no issues.

We record conferences we have using our Sony Ipela Video Conferencing unit to a memory stick.

After these conferences, I take the memory stick, and copy the .mp4 file it generates for the conference.

I have had no issues doing this until I went to record yesterdays meeting.

When I drag the file into Premiere, I get the following error:

This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed

Any ideas on how to fix this?

• 1. Re: This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

That error is pretty explanitory - the contained CODEC is missing.

Usually, MP4 is using the H.264 CODEC, and if one has Apple's QT Player installed, then a version (Apple's) of H.264 is usually installed along with the player. That version, while perhaps not the ultimate, is normally all that is required.

Have you removed QT Player, or changed it recently?

Have you changed the CODEC of the Sony Conferencing software?

When you run your recent Sony file through MediaInfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en) what does it show for the CODEC?

Have you added any hardware, or software, that might have changed the H.264 CODEC on your system, if the current Sony files ARE H.264?

When something works one day, but not the next, then something has changed. The task is to find out what, and correct that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed
            dxman830 Level 1

I recently updated QuickTime player to the latest and greatest version.

CODEC o nthe Sony system has never changed

According to the Mediainfo app, it has the MPEG-4 (Base Meidia/Version 2) CODEC on it.

Have not added/changed any software that would be related to this CODEC