10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2008 6:01 PM by vzwhaley

PDF problem, weird error

vzwhaley
      I have written code in Flex Builder 3.0 to load a PDF and have gone by the tutorials at lynda.com and on adobe livedocs. Everything seems to be fine with the code, but when I run the program, I receive the following error, and the PDF will not load. I am on a MacBook Pro running Mac OS 10.5.2. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ERROR:
      Sorry, an Actionscript error has occurred:
      Error #2044: Unhandled error:. text=PDFError

FLEX CODE:
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <mx:WindowedApplication xmlns:mx=" http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="vertical">
      <mx:Label text="Tearsheets" fontSize="18" />
      <mx:HTML id="Tearsheets" location="app:/20080304_A_12.pdf"
      width="100%" height="100%" />
      </mx:WindowedApplication>
        • 1. Re: PDF problem, weird error
          vzwhaley Level 1
          OK, I have installed all of the programs on a PC running Windows XP Professional and have tried the same code, and it works like a charm. So this problem is definitely a problem with the Macintosh OS.

Does anybody from Adobe have any idea how to fix this error on a Macintosh? If not, how can I place a trouble ticket with Adobe to look into this matter?

Thanks for any help!
          • 2. Re: PDF problem, weird error
            sbaldizz
            I try with similar mac (mbp 10.5.2) without problems... The problem exists on every pdf? try the url without the app:/ prefix....
            On mac I found a problem with pdf ... acrobat see the file loaded from a local path (so with security restriction) and not from the app:/ protocol, but nobody help me...
            • 3. Re: PDF problem, weird error
              vzwhaley Level 1
              I have tried using a local path and an absolute URL and it doesn't work either way on a Mac. I have posted a Bug with Adobe, but I don't know when or if they will take a look at it. It is definitely a problem with the Macintosh OS and Adobe Air 1.0.
              • 4. Re: PDF problem, weird error
                vzwhaley Level 1
                After filing a BUG report with Adobe, I have been told that there is limited support for AIR at this time and that my best bet is getting a developer on this forum to address this problem. I would sincerely appreciate any help any Adobe developer could give me on this issue.
                • 5. Re: PDF problem, weird error
                  Oliver Goldman Adobe Employee
                  Which version of Reader do you have installed on your Mac? The latest is 8.1.2; please try with that release if you haven't already.

Oliver Goldman | Adobe AIR Engineering

• 6. Re: PDF problem, weird error
                    vzwhaley Level 1
                    Hello Oliver,

I am running Adobe Acrobat Reader version 8.1.2, Macintosh OS 10.5.2 on a MacBook Pro with a 2.4 ghz Intel Core Duo 2 with 2 gb of 667 mhz DDR2 SDRAM memory.

I am running Flex Builder 3 and the CS3 suite, including Dreamweaver and Flash. I have downloaded and installed the recent AIR update to Flash CS3.

I have run this same project on a PC running Windows XP Professional, Flex Builder 3 and AIR, and the file runs like a charm. So I know the code is apparently correct. If you would like, I can supply you with a screenshot of the error. The error occurs as the AIR window loads the project and is a window that pops up above the AIR window. The error window says:

Sorry, an Actionscript error has occurred:
                    Error #2044: Unhandled error:. text=PDFError

I really appreciate your help. I would really like to get this problem fixed, as my main development computer is a Mac.
                    • 7. Re: PDF problem, weird error
                      Lawrence Lai Adobe Employee
                      You can check if the supported Acrobat/Reader is installed correctly by accessing static property HTMLLoader.pdfCapability, see "Detecting PDF Capability" at
                      http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=PDF_1.html#1085013
                      • 8. Re: PDF problem, weird error
                        vzwhaley Level 1
                        Thanks for your response, Lawrence.

I have run the PDF capability script and it returns a trace saying:

PDF Content Can Be Displayed.

I am running the most recent version of Acrobat Reader, 8.1.2.

Would you happen to have any other suggestions as to why this isn't working on my Mac? Thanks for your help.
                        • 9. Re: PDF problem, weird error
                          Lawrence Lai Adobe Employee
                          The error is very strange and I could not reproduce.
                          In your case, HTMLLoader.pdfCapability returns 0 (HTMLPDFCapability.STATUS_OK) then the PDF rendering should work (AIR would use /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin/Contents/MacOS/AdobePDFViewer to trigger the installed Acrobat/Reader 8.1.x).
                          I'm guessing that may be a misconfiguration/file corruption on your machine.

Could you try this: launch web browser to same URL to check if the plugin is working correctly? Thanks.
                          • 10. Re: PDF problem, weird error
                            vzwhaley Level 1
                            Lawrence,

Thank you so much for your help. I fixed the problem by reinstalling Acrobat Reader. Although the first install looked flawless, it apparently was not. Uninstalling and reinstalling Acrobat Reader did the trick. Thanks again for all of your help!